Let's Read Higurashi When They Cry! - Ch.1 Onikakushi

Good choice of release date there, and that’ll be another afternoon of rereading… if the PS-sprites mod gets released right away^^

I could if Mangagamer wasn’t shitty and blocked Japanese IP addresses from accessing their website >_>

Feel the hype! Time to re-read onikakushi. This time with ps sprites. I like them more than the brand new sprites for some reason

Better backgrounds and sprites with the patch tbh. Here’s hoping they get the new patch out in time.

Am I the only person who genuinely prefers the steam sprites over the PS2 ones??? I would like voices tho

The steam sprites are good too but why don’t they have CG’s? The ps version has some and that’s why I prefer this one. And yeah, voices would be nice

I don’t even know why I don’t like the steam sprites, I just look at them and think “…nah”, maybe it’s because I had the PS sprites when I first read it and now those are ‘normal’ for me? Didn’t have CGs back then though
And I’ll probably still leave voices disabled, I’m too used to reading it without voices^^

Wait… There’s no CGs?

The original release doesn’t have CGs, being a doujin production where all the art was done by Ryukishi himself. The console releases add some in addition to creating new spritework specifically for those releases. Personally, I don’t see why Higurashi needs CGs; it’s not like the story already does an excellent job of describing what’s happening. :confused:

I don’t think I would ever be able to get used to a Ryukishi07 work that has CGs. I kinda like those textured photos as it adds to the feel of the novel.

I don’t like the potato sprites tho xP

Now that you mention it, that was a silly question, lol. The original didn’t have CGs after all.

1 Like

You’re right, it doesn’t really need CG’s. I didn’t even notice that there are none until I finished reading and someone here mentioned it. But I think they’re a nice extra. I’m a CG fan in general, everytime I get one I do a little dance of joy in my mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So, Watanagashi is out, and the sprite mod is being made, keep an eye on https://github.com/higurashi-mod/watanagashi

I’ll get Watanagashi for rereading in a week or so, or later if the mod isn’t out by then

I wanna keep the steam sprites but… Looking forward to the voice patch! :smiley: Muh Nakahara Mai

[quote=“Pepe, post:52, topic:1249”]
Muh Nakahara Mai
[/quote]Speaking of her, (Day 11 spoilers, I think?) I tried skipping to the first instance of Yandere Rena in order to hear her voice, and I’ll be honest here: she sounds about as threatening as a thrown pillow. I’m starting to think Higurashi works better without voices for me… :confused:

1 Like

I’ve opened a topic for Chapter 2 discussion! Check it out here: Let's Read Higurashi When They Cry! - Ch.2 Watanagashi

I think the point was not to be threatening, but simply to be a total reversal of what Rena was presumed to be… well I’ll give it a shot when I start episode 2!

I have acquired the Ch 1 - 4 Question Arc of Higurashi from Steam and would like to start it soon but my question is whether I am better of waiting for the whole of the Answer arc to come out first? I have Ch 5 and perhaps it won’t be a long wait for the rest but does it matter if there is a long gap between reading the Q & A arcs?

I’d suggest to read what you have, considering that way back when there was also a considerable time gap between chapter releases. If you want to also tell us your thoughts after each chapter, now, a year and a half later since this topic was made, there’s actually an entire forum dedicated to 07th Expansion, so give that a visit if you like. You’ll see a bunch of familiar faces, considering that the admin is the same.

2 Likes

Oh man 2+ years later and you have yourself a less but in some way equally unlucky guy :uee:
45 PM

I just finished Onikakushi and it was pretty fun, an enjoyable experience to say the least. I didn’t know about the patches though, good thing I saw this only halfway through Ch.2 :ahaha:
I personally don’t like the “updated” sprites, felt like the “original” set the mood better, but I quite like the PS sprites, will use mod in the future.

1 Like