Let's Read Higurashi When They Cry! - Ch.1 Onikakushi

The TL on Watanagashi-hen is moving along surprisingly well these past few days.

Man, reading the comments here… You guys are gonna love the rest of what the series has to offer.

I still haven’t found time to sit down and play it yet, but I will definitely get it done before the second chapter comes out.

1 Like

chapter 2 hype

Read this some time ago, loved it. At first, I thought Keiichi had gone insane, but when part of his letter was removed, he definitely was not imagining it.

I too trust Satoko the most. She’s probably the person who’s in constant fear of being “spirited away” like her family. My question is: Did she know Rena and Mion were like this? And what does Rika have to do with anything anyway?

1 Like

Watanagashi-hen just hit MangaGamer’s store and will be available for reading on Friday the 13th of November! You can already buy it and redeem your Steam key at a slightly reduced price if you want to.

5 Likes

Good choice of release date there, and that’ll be another afternoon of rereading… if the PS-sprites mod gets released right away^^

I could if Mangagamer wasn’t shitty and blocked Japanese IP addresses from accessing their website >_>

Feel the hype! Time to re-read onikakushi. This time with ps sprites. I like them more than the brand new sprites for some reason

Better backgrounds and sprites with the patch tbh. Here’s hoping they get the new patch out in time.

Am I the only person who genuinely prefers the steam sprites over the PS2 ones??? I would like voices tho

The steam sprites are good too but why don’t they have CG’s? The ps version has some and that’s why I prefer this one. And yeah, voices would be nice

I don’t even know why I don’t like the steam sprites, I just look at them and think “…nah”, maybe it’s because I had the PS sprites when I first read it and now those are ‘normal’ for me? Didn’t have CGs back then though
And I’ll probably still leave voices disabled, I’m too used to reading it without voices^^

Wait… There’s no CGs?

The original release doesn’t have CGs, being a doujin production where all the art was done by Ryukishi himself. The console releases add some in addition to creating new spritework specifically for those releases. Personally, I don’t see why Higurashi needs CGs; it’s not like the story already does an excellent job of describing what’s happening. :confused:

I don’t think I would ever be able to get used to a Ryukishi07 work that has CGs. I kinda like those textured photos as it adds to the feel of the novel.

I don’t like the potato sprites tho xP

Now that you mention it, that was a silly question, lol. The original didn’t have CGs after all.

1 Like

You’re right, it doesn’t really need CG’s. I didn’t even notice that there are none until I finished reading and someone here mentioned it. But I think they’re a nice extra. I’m a CG fan in general, everytime I get one I do a little dance of joy in my mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So, Watanagashi is out, and the sprite mod is being made, keep an eye on https://github.com/higurashi-mod/watanagashi

I’ll get Watanagashi for rereading in a week or so, or later if the mod isn’t out by then

I wanna keep the steam sprites but… Looking forward to the voice patch! :smiley: Muh Nakahara Mai

[quote=“Pepe, post:52, topic:1249”]
Muh Nakahara Mai
[/quote]Speaking of her, (Day 11 spoilers, I think?) I tried skipping to the first instance of Yandere Rena in order to hear her voice, and I’ll be honest here: she sounds about as threatening as a thrown pillow. I’m starting to think Higurashi works better without voices for me… :confused:

1 Like

I’ve opened a topic for Chapter 2 discussion! Check it out here: Let's Read Higurashi When They Cry! - Ch.2 Watanagashi