「key15th」 / 「clannad10th」 Global Collaborative Arrange Album 'Rebirth' Fan Album Released!

「key15th」 / 「clannad10th」 Global Collaborative Arrange Album 'Rebirth' Fan Album Released!

After a bit of a wait, and with many people wondering what became of it, Global Collaborative Arrange Album Rebirth has been published online! You can download it free of charge right now.

A bit of history, and some personal thoughts. First I heard of this album's existence was as a reward for Steven Schoenwald's (aka Clannad_Man) controversial Key documentary kickstarter. The project was hastily abandoned, and Steven has kinda dropped off the radar after the affair. My personal opinion about the whole fiasco is that Steven made some pretty terrible decisions, and got what was coming to him. That said, a small part of me empathises with him, as I don't think anyone could doubt that his passion for Key was genuine.

So, it may turn some people away to hear that Steven himself is the organiser of this album. Here's my request for all of you: put your personal feelings for Steven aside. What happened happened, but I'd like for people to treat this album as it's own individual thing, and not reject it because it has Steven's name on it.

The album is a collection of fan-arrangements of different Key works to celebrate both the 15th Anniversary of Key and the 10th Anniversary of Clannad. It brings together the musical talents of Key fans from all across the world; some you may have heard of before. I encourage you all to give it a listen. This album was most certainly a labour of love. It covers a diverse range of genres and styles, and while not all of the songs on the album will appeal to you, I encourage you to give it a good listen, because there's some great arrangements in there.

I give my sincere thanks to all the people who worked on the album, even Steven himself. If you like what you hear, I invite you to check out the artist's other works. I've done the hard work for you and gone looking and found links to most of the artists' webpages, which I've provided below. And if any of you listed here find us here and want to join our community of Key fans, we'd be happy to have you!

Artists:

Aaron McLaughlin Animenz Bruno Murai Champloo Dan DeSimone (aka 8BitBrigadier) Daniel Ngo (aka BaddyDan) Devon Bordonaro (aka Daymaul) Elias Ilyas Yasin Frank Tedesco Kuri Hiwatari (aka Kurichan35) Joanna Lee (aka xclassicalcatx) Jonathan Parecki (aka jparecki95) JoyDreamer Kwok He Chu (aka Hereson0) Kyle Landry Moisés Nieto (aka HollowRiku) Ng Jun Yan Ro Panuganti (aka Swiggles1987) TehIshter Tera Catallo The Setting Sun Zorsy And also Soyoung Lee (aka Dizzyworld2) designed the album cover and booklet.

If you have any corrections I need to make to that list, let me know.

Tracklist:

Disc 1 (key15th)

I. Makoto's Farewell Champloo Original Composition

1. Natsukage Kwok He Chu / Hiwatari Kuri Based off of 'Natsukage' by Jun Maeda

2. Shining in the Sky Bruno Murai Based off of 'Sora ni Hikaru' by Magome Togoshi

3. Key Classic Medley Tehlshter Based off of the following: ‘Last regrets’ by Jun Maeda / ‘Tori no Uta’ by Shinji Orito / 'Alicemagic' by Shinji Orito / 'Negai ga Kanau Basho' by Jun Maeda

4. Gentle jena Kwok He Chu Based off of ‘Gentle Jena‘ by Magome Togoshi

5. Esperanza Moisés Nieto Based off of 'Hope' by Jun Maeda

6. Holding Back Aaron McLaughlin Original Composition

7. Nuestro Viaje Moisés Nieto Based off of 'Bokura no Tabi' by Shinji Orito & Kai

8. One's Word The Setting Sun Based off of ‘One's Word‘ by Jun'ichi Shimizu

9. My Soul, Your Beats! Jonathan Parecki Based off of ‘My Soul, Your Beats!‘ by Jun Maeda

10. Crow Song Ro Panuganti /Tera Catallo Based off of ‘Crow Song’ by Jun Maeda

11. Key Modern Medley Animenz Based off of the following: 'My Soul,Your Beats!’ by Jun Maeda / 'Haruka Kanata' by Jun Maeda /'Philosophyz' by Shinji Orito & Yūto Tonokawa / 'Tabi' by Jun Maeda

12. lchiban no Takaramono Tera Catallo /Joanna Lee Based off of 'lchiban no Takaramono' by Jun Maeda

14. Journey Ng jun Yan Based off of 'Tabi' by Jun Maeda

1. Fight for Nowhere The Setting Sun Based off of 'Fight for nowhere' by Shinji Orito

2. Sophrosyne Zorsy Original Composition

Disc 2 (clannad10th)

1. Dango Daikazoku Kwok He Chu / Hiwatari Kuri Based off of 'Dango Daikazoku' by Jun Maeda

2. Mag Mell Elias llyas Yasin Based off of ‘Mag Mell' by Eufonius

3. Hurry Starfish Devon Bordonaro Based off of ‘Hurry, Starfish’ by Magome Togoshi

4. Étude Pour les Petites Supercordes Dan DeSimone Based off of 'Étude Pour les Petites Supercordes' by Magome Togoshi

5. Roaring Ocean Daniel Ngo / JoyDreamer Based off of 'Uminari' by Shinji Orito

6. A Christmas Dango Kwok He Chu / Hiwatari Kuri Based off of 'Chiisana Tenohira' by Jun Maeda

7. To the Same Heights Joanna Lee / Daniel Ngo Based off of 'Onaji Takami e' by Jun Maeda

8. Shining in the Sky Kyle Landry Based off of 'Sora ni Hikaru' by Magome Togoshi

9. Love and Spanner Jonathan Parecki Based off of the following: ‘Mag Mell' by Eufonius / ‘Fortune Card‘ by Shinii Orito & Leo Kashida / 'Tsuki no lsou' by Shinji Orito / 'Country Train' by Jun Maeda / ’Kochi' by Shinji Orito

10. Kaisou Frank Tedesco Original Composition

11. Dango Daikazoku (Instrumental) Kwok He Chu Based off of 'Dango Daikazoku' by Jun Maeda

12.A Christmas Dango (Instrumental) Kwok He Chu Based off of ‘Chiisana Tenohira‘ by Jun Maeda

http://clannad.anime-unleashed.com/

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://kazamatsuri.org/2014/05/28/e3808ckey15the3808d-efbc8f-e3808cclannad10the3808d-global-collaborative-arrange-album-rebirth-fan-album-released/
2 Likes

Sounds great~ I’ll have to give it a listen~ I’m not too big of a music person, but I’ll probably like a track or two.
Never actually heard of this project (I kinda ignored Key15th because of that disgusting “Kagikko” thing…) but some fan-work is always appreciated!
Oh, and I didn’t think C_M disappeared. He still managed that Key music thread at fansub.co right?

Good to see a remnant of that botched project is still alive! Will check it out tomorrow :smiley: Huzzah

Just finished listening to it all, and here are my thoughts on it~

The choice to open with a Rap/R&B track was very strange. I think this idea could work for some people, however I have a problem with it. The singer… rapper… whatever he is sounded like was either lacking in confidence or reading the lyrics as he recorded. There are a lot of moments where he begins to say one vowel before quickly backtracking…
This probably could have been smartly covered up if not for the mixing, which was pretty mediocre. It would have been fine for a normal track, but unfortunately it doesn’t work well at all with uncertain vocals.

The second track Natsukage, while I don’t like the song, was very good. The singer could sing very well. I even went and subscribed to her channel! It gave off a very “I will probably like the singer when she sings a different song.” This was confirmed with the first track of Disc 2 - The Dango Daikazoku cover - which I thought was really good.
The harmonies in this track (Natsukage) were kinda strange. Not sure what was going on there. Still, I think it’s worth listening to again in future.

The Gentle Jena track was pretty standard, but good and notable, like the original.

I really liked Esperanza, probably because I really like Hope, but the singing was great. Very original and unexpected for a Key album. I like it lots~

Holding Back was interesting. It’s an original, right? I kinda wish I could hear the lyrics better, so I’ll have to listen to it a few more times. Not sure what it’s about right now, but I enjoyed it.

One’s Word was very refreshing. I have listened to that song so many times that the original gets kinda annoying now. I liked the original for a while, and this is great too~ The singer was good too, which is a bonus.

The Journey track was very strange. It was good, but it feels more like the kinda thing I’d listen to live rather than through a digital device… Was it recorded live? I feel that this track would have been amazing if it had been through some editing~

Aside from that, the rest of the first disc didn’t make much of a mark on my mind. I’m sure others will like them though~

The second disc was pretty much what you’d expect. Just lots of Clannad covers. I already said in my Clannad Discussion post that I think Clannad’s Soundtrack is one of the most forgettable Key soundtracks, so the second disc of this album probably isn’t for me.
Nevertheless, the Étude cover was good (can’t go wrong with Étude really) although the instrument choices were strange.
Roaring Ocean was good. I don’t really remember what the original was, but I liked this version.
Love and Spanner was very Crisis Core-ish. Gave me nostalgic memories of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes, which is pretty nice~ The song didn’t get to me much, but the instruments were good.

1 Like

To be quite frank, this is… not very good at all.
I appreciate the effort put into this album, but it really pales in comparison to the official remix albums for, well, any KEY game. Give them a listen if you don’t believe me.
That,and oh god what have they done to Étude Pour les Petites Supercordes. I jumped with shock when that track came on, lol.

If you’re comparing an album created by fans of Key to a professional Key album, you probably have your standards set a bit too high.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard any of the remix albums, but as a separate entity this album is pretty good. Some great tracks, and some not so great tracks.

If you think fans can’t shit out some amazing remixes you should take a look at the 2hu fandom.

Touhou is such good proof of fans being able to make amazing stuff that it feels like using it as proof is cheating.

Well, I say that, but I don’t really like what I’ve heard of the Touhou stuff. I remember back in 2008 this kid I knew (he was like… 9 years old) tried to get me into Iosys, and I think the only song of theirs I ended up liking was ‘Border of Death’
Haven’t touched the crowd since really, apart from the occasional trip down U.N. Owen lane, and a yearly look at EastNewSound stuff.

I feel that that is an unfair comparison because the “fans” (though most producers have since become professionals) make remixes for money. They sell their albums at Comiket and everything. Whereas this is a free album where the fans didn’t get paid for any of their work.

Probably a better comparison where amateurs make quality music without the intent of selling is the vocaloid community. The only argument I have for that is Japan

1 Like

I don’t know. I think Touhou, while an extreme example, is better suited than Vocaloid.
Vocaloid songs are mostly all originals, but the topic at hand is fan remixes vs official remixes.

There are some original Touhou songs, but the majority of the fandom either cover songs or release remixes based around various genres~