Key Sounds Label - Music Discussion

I mean, we ARE planning to host a Bookclub for the Love Song albums soon hopefully :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Iā€™m not really fond of electro remixes, but I honestly thought that they made Kimi to no Nakushi Mono sound better. I skipped on Disc 1 because I havenā€™t really checked out the tracks in AB! yet, but favorite in Disc 2 must be Sasayaka na Hajimari; they made it sound really good. :))

He also posted Yakeochita Tsubasa, original song of Yakeochinai Tsubasa.

https://twitter.com/jun_tenhou/status/831817716076003328
Translation: I would like to upload Yakeochita Tsubasa which was requested repeatedly because Yoshida allowed it. This song is the original song of Charlotteā€™s ED. I made it when I was a college student. The last high point of the song ā€œSora ga kuzureochi bokura ha nemuru~ā€ was Yoshidaā€™s ad-lib and the section is used for Charlotteā€™s ED.

(Yoshida is his dearest friend. He sung for Maedaā€™s song when they are in college. You can know more about him by listening to Satsubatsu Radio by Maeda)
The sound seems to be deleted by 26th May, so it is recommended to download it if you want.

9 Likes

Ahh I love all these old versions of tracks so much, I hope he continues to release stuff like this.
Iā€™m super hype for literally any music he releases.

1 Like

So I feel like making semi-wild guesses on who composed/arranged the anime-only OSTs in Rewrite. Iā€™ll get back here if they ever release an album for those (which will be great because those are some damn fine tracks), just to see how on point these guesses are.

• For the first track used, the anime-original Kagari theme, my bet is that Ryou Mizutsuki arranged it. She seems to have a strong inclination to piano that sometimes lead up to something big (ahem Scene Shifts There ahem), and the (vaguely jazzy) country waltz-like music that the piece builds up to sounds similar to her usual style. Also, violin melodies. My second bet is Tomohiro Takeshita.
  • The neat arrangement of Kari that showed up in Episode 13 might still be arranged by the composer herself, Maiko Iuchi, considering her inclination to electronic music that is matched by her background as an Iā€™ve Sound composer.
  • The piano arrangements for End of the World and Last Desire might also be Mizutsukiā€™s, seeing how she often arranges Key OSTs to piano.
  • The piano piece that was used in Episode 14 where Kotarou was reminiscing had a Mizutsuki flavor to it, so thereā€™s my guess.
  • The acoustic guitar track first used in Episode 18 sounds like something Shinji Orito would compose. It adds that it has a similar flavor to Harmoniaā€™s Oppidum.
  • The cool Retribution arrangement that was first used in Episode 20 sounds like the composer himself, Orito, also did the arrangement. For a track that carries a lot of weight, thereā€™s an air of simplicity to how it was crafted, which sounds just about Oritoā€™s style.
  • If thereā€™s going to be an orgel music in the final episode, Iā€™m betting that itā€™s Orito. Or Takeshita because Towa no Hoshi e.
2 Likes

Itā€™s really hard to choose a favorite when it comes to key sounds label but still those are the BGMs I love the most:

CLANNAD : Ushio,country train,to the same height
Little busters : Song for friends, ring ring ring
Air : Aozora
Kanon : Last regrets
Angel beats : Brave song
Tomoyo after : Light colours
Rewrite :rewrite, komiubi

2 Likes

Every time i visited itunes one thing bugged me, the price of the music albums. You wont believe me but it costs 2$ per album (average) in india whereas its its like 12 to 15$ (CLANNAD OST) in the US. I would like to know if there are other countries with the same pricing.

The CLANNAD OST is Ā£15 on iTunes (UK) which must be over US$20!

I donā€™t know why but rewriteā€™s music reminds me of mass effect trilogy. Especially Sanka (Scattered flowers) and nirinsou (soft windflower). They give you a feeling of travelling through the stars.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if I should start a new topic butā€¦

Whoā€™s going?!?!

Source: http://aim-vil.com/key-orchestra-concert-2018/

3 Likes

Article in progress :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

When you donā€™t know Japanese yet and have a slight fear of heights as well as enclosed spaces, so you canā€™t even go into planes.

Dang thatā€™s an awesome thing. I hope somebody here goes and shares the experience. I can only begin to imagine hearing all of the brilliantly written music in person. They already sound great but, boy itā€™s gotta be a different beast to hear it in person.

Well, where to start now with the music I loved.

It all startedā€¦

when I was bornā€¦into this world (Ya get ya get I mean itā€™s a, yeah everyone got this joke)

I think Iā€™ll start from oldest to newest in the VNs (the ones I played. Sorry Kanon, need to get to you, as well as and place my top 4. I chose 4 to start off with because Air doesnā€™t have a huge amount of music that I loved. I also refrain from using opening themes to the game, minus one. Theyā€™re so great. Nonetheless, the reasons why they were important for me, starting with Air:

• 4 Natsukage. I love Misuzuā€™s childish antics and this piece doesnā€™t honestly capture it in the way youā€™d think but, thereā€™s just something about it. The tone, the slow buildup, the same sound throughout most of it after it built up. Itā€™s a great theme for a great character.

• 3 Niji. Po. Kano reminded me a lot of Kotomi and, truthfully Kotomi was a cool gal so I kinda liked Kano right off the bat. This theme is really fantasy like and sounds like it deserves to be in a fantasy video game. Wait it is, sort of. Never mind, you get my point I hope. The mysterious nature of it all and it reminds me of when you stumble upon a magical NPC.

• 2 Farewell Song. I personally also have to say I love all the EDs as well, they do a fantastic job with them but, this is the only one that can reach the top four. Be it the lower amount of music in Air or not, itā€™s a catchy song and itā€™s the lyrics that does it for me ultimately. Itā€™s very moving when you look up the lyrics and listen to it.

• 1 My number one goes to Hane. The true, main route in Airā€¦oh boy, that ruined me. I mean it, I cried about 4 separate times and this song was the main culprit. I cannot recall how many times it was played, or where it was even but I always remember and equate to when Misuzu is on the beach and she calls out to her ā€œmamaā€. It makes me tear up just thinking about it.

The next is Clannad:

• 5 Thatā€™s Like The Wind. Iā€™m a huge Kyou fan and I can sit and talk about her for months. This song captures her extremely well to me. Real upbeat tune and it doesnā€™t ever really fluctuate with that. I love when songs go up and down, moves around but, they did a great job with Kyouā€™s theme in this regard. I can see her getting to a monstrous kicking combo every time I hear it.

• 4 Existence. There are few songs, pieces as well, than can give me goosebumps and Existence gives me goosebumps. It tugs at you in a way that is indescribable unless youā€™ve experienced it for yourself. Itā€™s sad and makes you believe thereā€™s no hope but somehow is still great to listen to.

• 3 Country Train. This would be number 1 in most games. I canā€™t even say much about it. Itā€™s a nice, upbeat tune you know, it SOUNDS like a train but thatā€™s not the reason I love it so much no, the reason is Ushio asking about her mom. Everyone who has played Clannad, whether or not you love this track, you canā€™t help but feel something at that scene. Thereā€™s a handful of those in Key visual novels and theyā€™re great.

• 2 Shining in the Sky. Clannad makes me cry, alright? It just makes me cry and I loved it for that. I feel like I must like crying at this point because this track makes me cry, almost every time. Itā€™s so simple and so effective, and then just once it reaches the top oh my goodness. Thereā€™s nothing else like it, period. It gets to that top and itā€™s like ā€œThere seems to be some rain in my room somehowā€.

• 1 TOE. This wasnā€™t even a track I truly cared for but the sentimental value held up. I hear Kotomi utter ā€œFather. Mother. Welcome home.ā€ and itā€™s over. I do actually love the piece as well, the way it flows almost over time, across many continents, searching for itā€™s true destination. Especially the end of it. It feels like the song set out what it was supposed to do in life, accomplished that and faded away into the night.

Planetarian doesnā€™t have many tracks so Iā€™ll just put that:

• 1 Gentle Jena. It just couldnā€™t be something else, could it? Itā€™s the song you think of when you hear Planetarian or when you read. Plus all the buildup in the game/anime leading to it and then you get this song sort of as a reward and itā€™s the greatest reward you could ask for. Just as the name states, itā€™s so gentle and almost comforting. No, not almost it IS comforting. I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever said a song made me feel comforted but this one does. It makes you feel like you arenā€™t a little grain of sand but something more than that.

Little Busters:

• 5 Faraway. No words. I have no words other than ā€œWas my life happy?ā€ ā€œThat I wasnā€™t happyā€¦how could I say that, when I had great friends like you!ā€

• 4 Only One Magic World. Speaking of very fantasy-esque tracks, this is another one that reminds me of that. Itā€™s such a touching and sad song but thereā€™s hope in there, somehow thereā€™s some speck of hope. I love when it pauses and returns with such a beautiful little melody and sets forth itā€™s path right to your heart.

• 3 Ring Ring Ring!. Wow. All of the Little Busters themes, perfection. I mean it too theyā€™re all fitting in their own way but, Rinā€™s takes the cake rather easily for me. Again, the buildup is big for me as Iā€™ve stated several times before and then when it hits there you really think to yourself ā€œYeah, this is Rin!ā€. It takes time to warm to it, much like Rin and when you have warmed up to her, just like the song, it gets really going and you start to smile a bunch.

• 2 Little Melody. This was a hard choice because this means I had to leave out a song or two that I loved but, Little Melody, as it states, is a little melody and I fell in love with itā€™s simplicity. The amount of feelings I have just from listening to it is remarkable and this is one of those sentimental pieces for me. Itā€™s beautiful, truly beautiful.

• 1 Song For Friends. There canā€™t be another number one, there cannot. Itā€™s also my favorite song in any of the VNs Iā€™ve listed here, pretty safe to say that as well. It is so lovely and so sweet but itā€™s also about such sadness and moving on almost. Whether youā€™re down in the dumps or in a great mood, this song works for all occasions. Itā€™s, perfect.

Special mention would be Clear Weather After The Rain. I hate leaving it out but, when I look back at the Little Busters soundtrack, itā€™s amazing. Thereā€™s no other words I have.

Thanks for anyone who reads. I stayed up way too late and was thinking ā€œHey, I wanted to talk about music at least once here soonā€ so I decided to now. I mean, itā€™s 6 AM but, meh, Iā€™m happy to talk about this. Plus Iā€™m 5x more emotional at night. (Donā€™t do the math. That makes me like a 1504/100 on the emotional scale)

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been listening to Keyā€™s C93 Acoustic Album 怎Humans pleasure怏and I think it deserves a special mention.

To me it has definitely one of keyā€™s best musical performances in recent times, Iā€™d even consider it overall greater than 怎KeyCLASSIC怏from 2012. The album cover is adorable and the performances are just magical.
Iā€™ve always been a big fan of Keyā€™s classical remixes, even tracks that are originally pretty loud and jumpy can suddenly become emotional pieces when performed with the right instruments, by the right musicians :yahaha:

3 Likes

Does anyone know if Humans Pleasure will ever be available on the iTunes US? A lot of Key albums are available on there a few months after the Japanese release, and Iā€™d really like to be able to buy the album.

Hoshi No Fune in particular is the song that Iā€™d love to be able to buy. The acoustic guitar with Liaā€™s wonderful voice in the snippet of the song just sounds so right with each other as a whole.

Iā€™m a fan of ā€œBGM 2ā€ that came with Alka Tale. With the calmer piano on the right and the two sadder violins that chime in from different directions, itā€™s like a conversation. Itā€™s cool how you can have that kind of blocking in music (maybe thereā€™s an actual music term for it, Idk). BGM 1 is the track they want to push as a front of the ost, I guess. The timing is really making me believe there will be a vocal version; lyrics just seem to slot in very easily.

2 Likes

Before I checked out the track, I thought you were referring to something like BurgmĆ¼llerā€™s The Little Party Etude, but it turns out it was something different, ahaha. Anyway, as for the exact term, uhhh, you might be thinking of countermelody. Or spatial mixing ā€“ a technique to create an illusion of depth in an audio file. They do sounded like they were coming from different directions. :o

1 Like

Iā€™ve been listening to Rewrite OSTs again lately, and was in the mood to rank them, so this video happened. Feel free to question my shit taste in music. :^)

2 Likes

Watching the Kanon 2006 anime, a new top 10 or maybe even top 5 contender for my favourite Key BGM

Fuyu no Hanabi - Winter Fireworks.

So haunting, it makes my eyes sweat, or somethingā€¦

2 Likes

Scattered Flowers from Rewrite sits at the dais of the throne that contains Tori no Uta, for me. Talking about Tori no Uta would be cheating though, and frankly I donā€™t even know where to begin. Therefore, Iā€™ll tackle a work of art that I can comprehend.

Key has many emotional songs, usually sitting under the wide umbrella of ā€˜sadā€™, but Scattered Flowers is a lot more than that to me. It is a nebulous cloud of many things, but primarily it grants me some semblance of peace, especially when I consider the context of when it plays in Rewrite. The scattered flowers it references are those of the cherry blossom petals, symbolic in Japan as a metaphor for the transient nature of life. They are like clouds, in how they appear and disappear like dreams or memories on the canvas of the endless blue sky, reminiscent of time itself.

I do not speak here of anything new, only to appreciate how focused this song is in helping feel the beauty of life because of how fragile it is. How all things are destined to end, and because of that ever present ceiling falling down on us, our precious time is best spent living our lives to the fullest. This is most reminiscent, of course, of Sakuya from Rewrite, who embodies this song better than any other Key character I can think of at the time of writing this.

4 Likes

Tomoyo After is kind of a poopy game. It has a beautiful ending and some scattered moments of legitimate emotion but overal the pacing is all over the place and there is no shortage of padding and filler. That said, Tomoyo After is responsible for creating not only my favorite Key song but one of my favorite pieces of music ever and that is the seminal work, ā€œLife is like a Melody.ā€

The piece makes many allusions to the literal events of Tomomyo After, specifically its ending, but more so than any of that I want to talk about the narrative arc of the song itself and the beauty therein. The song can be divided roughly by itā€™s choruses, each of which state a different thing and the evolution of that message is where the heart of the story comes in. Worry not, I will not talk about the actual parallels to literal story events of Tomoyo After, so there will be no spoilers.

The first chorus reads as such:

Can we each walk on our own? Everyone around us will disappear
But the time we spent holding hands until today will carry us to the unknown future

Which establishes the mentality that life is finite and that the progression of time is relentless. ā€œCan we walk on our own?ā€ is reflective of this fear towards the unknown and the inevitable. We are sustained by our bonds, but ultimately the end is something we can not escape. Come the second chorus we see this mentality shift:

We could walk together, too; we believed strength was in our joined hearts
Our strides didnā€™t match well, but if we walked slowly we could be side-by-side

Here the focus has shifted. In order to fight the pain of isolation we come together. Can we walk on our own becomes ā€œWe could walk together too.ā€ The second line draws out shades of Eva, discussing how even with the differences that we as people have and the fact that no one will ever quite line up people can still live together if that is what they desire, that the happiness that comes from that is worth the price. With a lot of uplifting or otherwise sentimental media the message of the piece would stop at this moment. ā€œNo one needs to be alone let us come together,ā€ is a nice message and one that is easy to accept and integrate. However, Life is like a Melody goes a step further and it is in this that the meaning of the song goes all the way around to being one of my favorites. The final chorus reads:

Can we each walk on our own? Everyone around us will disappear
But this life of unforgotten trembling will engrave in us the hope we need to continue

The first line echoes that of the first chorus, but the second line shifts the meaning therein. Ultimately we live in a finite world with loss guaranteed. This is something that we must all accept in order to grow up. This final chorus tells us that that is okay. We will lose things in our life, but that is okay. What is important are the memories of the good times we carry with us that ā€œengrave in us the hope we need to continue.ā€

Iā€™ll leave this with the final final line of the song, which I feel captures this maturity and acceptance perfectly.

Our strides may never match again, but if we walk on, we can aim for the future

Stay golden,
Bread

5 Likes