Key Scenario Writers discussion

Removed the text with Word, but Kyo is part of him (in the image). Also the white lines are because it looks like it’s 4 separate images that word couldn’t crop up well and lost those lines of pixels. Upon request I can fill them in photoshop, if needed.

As much as I understand the Maeda hype here (you can literally notice when a route is written by him rather than by other author, specially in LB!), Naoki Hisaya (in Kanon)'s routes for me were very enjoyable, on par with Maeda’s (if not better, if you ignore the fact that Maeda’s are more effective at making you cry).

Hisaya’s routes are way better than Maedas in Kanon, Maeda has the worst route and I’d debate maybe even second worst.

1 Like

Has anyone researched Naoki Hisaya ? His works after Kanon seems to be too close with Kanon, with a shared general plot.

“Sola” which is a manga he made for example. The girl can possibly be compared to Ayu, and the progression of the main protagonist can be compared to Yuichi at certain points. In Kanon, Ayu (Ayu route spoilers) disappears around the mid-part of her route, just vanishing without a trace and in Sola, (Matsuri Spoilers) Matsuri disappears, after the main protagonist tries getting her the tomato juice, and is seen later in the church If we compare the 2 girls with routes with the spoilers that we have of them, we know that (Kanon - Ayu & Sola - Matsuri spoilers) Ayu and Matsuri are not ordinary humans. While Ayu is a human, she’s technically a soul without a body present, and with Matsuri, she is not a human, but a creature from the night who can live forever but does have flaws in that lifestyle.
They also have the same obsessions for stuff. Ayu craves Taiyaki, and Matsuri craves Tomato Juice.

The other work that he did was “Celestial Method” and, though I haven’t seen it, the plot is too familiar with Kanon. This is what the plot says, so I’m guessing I don’t need to spoiler tag this
“Nonoka Komiya is a girl who once lived in Lake Kiriya City, based on Lake Tōya in Hokkaido, where she met a blue-haired girl named Noel. Seven years later, Nonoka returns to the city, which now has a mysterious saucer floating above it, and reunites with Noel, who promises to grant her wish.” ~ Wikipedia
Though it is different, you can kinda tell it’s a copy at the same time.

I know as a writer, you tend to have the same concepts, but Naoki should put some effort into making a greater story. Naoki has the possibility of making a greater story than Kanon if he tried hard enough.

2 Likes

…that’s pretty unfortunate. I actually enjoyed Kanon and pretty much the routes he wrote there… at least the anime, I haven’t read the VN yet tho.

That or I just didn’t like Maeda’s routes in Kanon… the plot twists he employed in his routes there didn’t sell well for me. (I loved his Refrain tho) But I digress.

Also, let me just put my unpopular opinion here: I actually enjoyed Tonokawa’s routes in Key. He did fairly well in Little Busters! (Komari’s was memorable, while Kurugaya’s was real nice), and was a bit weak in Rewrite, though the latter might just be the case of him being surrounded by a couple of big time writers and being exposed to a different genre he might have usually been more comfortable with. Though he did somewhat stick to his usual(?) style in Shizuru’s route.

I appreciate that he tends to write really likable characters (Shizuruuuu), and it’s also nice that he was able to try a different style, particularly in Rewrite (if Chihaya route is any indication). His routes tend to be quite down-to-earth thematically, which I appreciate time-by-time, and I think he can write good romance too (not always), which got funny because when I read Rewrite for the first time, I was wondering about the people who found (possible spoiler??) Lucia’s to be the most romantic while I personally thought that Shizuru’s was even more romantic. But that was the first reading.

I do look forward to his contribution to Trianthology, and him actually becoming a main scenario writer in the future.

Oh, BTW, I heard that he helped with the action sequences in Moon. He must have quite enjoyed writing action.

1 Like

Is that really that unpopular of an opinion? While I didnt think very much of Komari and Chihaya’s routes, they weren’t bad per se. And, although while I was reading it I was pretty confused, looking back Kurugaya’s route was pretty great. And Shizuru is probably one of my favorite Key heroine routes (that might be the real unpopular opinion here, though I still cant figure out why).

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot of dislike for Tonokawa for some odd reason. Kurugaya’s route is actually my favourite route in Little Busters, so, yeah, I’m not sure where all the hate is coming from. Komari’s route is okay. As for Chihaya and Shizuru, I do agree with the common complaint that Sakuya got too much focus in Chihaya’s route, but I still liked both routes.

1 Like

Tonokawa was a new emerging scenerio writer around the time LitBus was being created, making LitBus his first official debut. It’s reasonable as to why people would criticize him, since he is new, and not as experienced.

Then we have Rewrite, which would also be reasonable as to why he was criticized, since he might have not been used to writing the “Rewrite” storylines, since Rewrite is different from past Key works.

Tonokawa is a great scenerio writer. Just wait until his official debut at Key, leading a story. Hopefully they release a new VN or anime-original 3… Tomoyo After & LitBus & Harmonia’s official translations & Rewrites anime is all great, but I’m ready for a new Key story, that hopefully Kai, Jun, or even Tonokawa can lead and make. Maybe I’m just craving for new Hinoue & Na-Ga art (pretending if Harmonia was already out).

2 Likes

He didn’t write Rewrite like Rewrite though, Shizuru lacks a lot of the pretentious garbage from Romeo routes that make Rewrite Rewrite, and Chihaya was a super robo anime.

Of course that only serves to fester peoples dislike in him because his routes did not ‘fit’ the rest of the VN, although I myself only consider this a good thing.

1 Like

I agree with you, he’s my second favorite (third?) Key writer. Besides Lucia’s route I’ve yet to read a character route as good as Komari’s. Also loved Shizuru’s route (2nd favorite from RW), and Kurugaya’s. Chihaya’s was pretty good as well (like better than a lot of VN routes I’ve read, but still under most of RW routes).

At least when it comes to Rewrite, I think Tanaka is overrated. Sure, Akane’s route was damn good, but Kotori’s was the worst character route from the game and Terra literally ruined a considerable amount of Rewrite’s quality.

I also would if it wasn’t a doujin with ugly art. Sigh. Why such a good writer writes so few VNs?

I loved Kotori’s route. It gave us a glimpse of reality, and yes, though it was info dump, I’m glad that it was given to us beforehand, so we could realize what we were dealing with in Rewrite’s story.

I also loved Terra. Though the fight scenes kinda bored me, the story was beautiful. Plus, in Terra, the Confession scene between Kotarou and Terra Kagari was OP IMO. Best Key confession scene ever. How he kisses her and she tells him to leave her, then Kotarou rejects, so then Kagari says how if he won’t leave her, then she will leave him. Then she walks through the forest and disappears from his sight

That was definitely my favorite part in Terra. Too bad there was no Nagai Sprite. I would have liked to seen her in there.

Though comparing Moon to Terra, Moon is a little bit more of an attention-grabber. Terra is pretty much slow.

1 Like

Kotori’s route is quite controversial for its ending, but I personally loved the route. Made me love Kotori actually. I wasn’t really that greatly fond of Terra before, but after rereading it, I personally thought that it was a really good way of ending the series. So beautiful.

I like Tanaka personally. Humanity Has Declined was a blast. I haven’t watched Girls Beyond the Wasteland yet, but the first episode was pretty good.

1 Like

Did anyone see this:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-01/clannad-charlotte-writer-jun-maeda-hospitalized/.99216

Hope he recovers soon…

I wish well for him omg.

(those morbid jokes in the ANN forums tho D: )

Well, it’s to be expected. Technically he eats and lives from hospitalizing characters.
But yes, I hope he recovers soon…

1 Like

I love the character… Kotori is great. But the route is too short.
It’s a pity since it had so much potential. I think it could have been a Key “old-school-like” route.
With lots of emotions, like a mini modern AIR maybe (I’m talking about the mood, the topics).

A funny fact is… (Rewrite and AIR major spoilers) Now that I write about it I’ve just remembered the juice, the stegosaurus t-shirt and the “gao” shout in the woods…
Oh, and actually, she was left alone near the end… it’s a very sad scene.

I think Maeda would have been the best option for her route…

What do you think?

Finally we’ve been given some details on how Angel Beats! was handled. In the big interview in the perfect visual book, Maeda says that he wrote the later parts of the Yui route and Iwasawa’s route. Kai did the more light-hearted parts of Yui’s route. And Kashida Leo did Matsushita’s route and also helped with Iwasawa. Unfortunately, I don’t see anything else, but it’s at least something. So in the list would look like this:

Angel Beats! 1st beat

• Yui: Kai (First Half) / Maeda (Second Half)
  • Iwasawa: Maeda
  • Matsushita: Kashida Leo

@Pepe, maybe put that in the OP, so people can actually find it.

5 Likes

I feel like it would be really cool if we had some kind of post or page listing all of Key’s writers and what they’ve worked on. Helping people attach work to names would be really cool, I think. Too often everything Key gets slapped under Maeda’s name.

8 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: The “Key Magic” Motif

I’d like to revive this one to ask: just what the hell happened to Suzumoto? He left Key in 2005, wrote a light novel in 2006 (which i actually have, but can’t read cuz moonrunes) and then just kinda disappeared. I know he works for Aquaplus now, but I can’t find a single thing he’s written since then. His blog, which he stopped updating in 2013, doesn’t really mention anything about his work.
It’s a real shame, I think he had some incredible potential, and I know it’s not a popular opinion, but i consider him by far the best Key writer. as brilliant as Maeda may be at evoking emotion with his audience, He just doesn’t have the attention to detail or the ability to create unique yet effective settings that Suzumoto has.

2 Likes

According to Wkkipedia, Suzumoto worked on parts of CLANNAD & AIR, and did Planetarian.

What routes did he do for CLANNAD and AIR ?