Key Games Translation Status Updates

Quick update to say I’ve finally re-read Akane and am now QCing. Ixrec is steadily plugging away at Kagari’s route and has a decent bit done. (2082/3934)

So, this came up in Akane and I was wondering if anyone might be able to lend a hand.

(Akane: HF) - Not really a spoiler of any kind. Just doing it for posterity’s sake.

//<0322> 「図星…英語で言うならズボッシュのようですね」
<0322> 「Bingo…or as they say in English, bulls-eye.」
// that’s ten minutes of effort, I think it’s better than what I started with, time to move on ~IX
//He’s definitely not saying bulls-eye though. Actually I have no idea what he’s saying :frowning: - Arbitrary
// As best I can tell, 図星 is literally “bulls-eye” in English. I have no idea what the hell ズボッシュ is supposed to be in English according to Kotarou. But then again, it is Kotarou we’re talking about. ~Gnash

2 Likes

Spoilers just in case

Uh, I think that’s a pun…or at least Kotarou being Kotarou. Since 図星 is zuboshi, and Kotarou is like, butchering the pronunciation the way an English speaker might try to say it (at least in Kotarou’s mind) - zubosshu. Does that sound plausible? In which case a better translation might be to switch the joke around and turn bulls-eye into Engrish?

You poor poor soul.

It sounds cool though. It has impact.

This sounds right. Awkward to translate… Actually, why does he even bring up English?

I would have translated it as “Bulls-eye… Or as they say in Japanese, buruzu ai” as that kind of seems like the joke he was trying to say, lol.

But that’s just me, and I trust Ixrec’s translation skills more~

Ehhhh, the “as they say in English” fits the context better, because the next line is Akane complaining that she’s no good with English.

EDIT:

Aaaaand done. Now to wait for Kagari to be fully TL’d

6 Likes

Oh welp. Yeah definitely better in context

Kagari is now (3451/3934). Been a while since I’ve given any updates, but here ya go!

12 Likes

Just found out on Twitter that Kagari-chan’s route is complete! :3

7 Likes

hype. the race is on. set your bets. What will finish first, Harvest Festa or Little Busters Ex?

I am all in on Harvest Festa for that. Hoping for Ex though.

3 Likes

I have low hopes for EX being finished anytime soon ;_; I think a better race is this or CLANNAD

you cant put CLANNAD in a race, when it has a release window. It’s all about the race between those, that nobody knows when they are finished.

1 Like

What if… they finish at pretty much the same time (24 hour within each other), like umineko and LB reg did. That was hype beyond belief. I am not going to lie, that was one of the hypest days in my whole life.

2 Likes

If that happened, I’d hope for it to be at a better time than that. I had to skip Christmas!

1 Like

Yep! He’s been Plugging away at Rewrite Quest as well. As soon as I make it back into town from vacation tomorrow night, I need to hammer through the rest of Terra(again) and read/QC Kagari.

Plans for my free time in the coming week have been decided for me it seems.

4 Likes

Kagari Route QC has started! Ixrec is making a commit a day for Rewrite Quest; so here’s hoping this project wraps up soon. In the meantime, snippets of text and QC notes below. Spoilered, proceed at your own risk.

(TL Notes)
//<0356> 「せめて男か女かくらい教えてくれよ」
<0356> 「At least tell me if this “she” really is a girl or not.」
// weird things happen when you’re forced to use gendered pronouns and the original didn’t ~IX
// Yeah… I think I fixed it all above this point to make this be the first use of a gendered pronoun. ~Gnash

(Kagari Scenario / TL Notes)

//<1008> 瑚太朗
<1008> Kotarou
//<1009> 「俺の名前、よく覚えてんね」
<1009> 「Wow, you remember my name.」
//<1010> 篝
<1010> Kagari
//<1011> 「クラスメイトの名称はすべて記憶しています」
<1011> 「I remember all of my classmates’ names.」
//<1012> そんなこと、普通するか?
<1012> Is that normal?
// It’s not!? Everyone told me I was weird for never managing that… ~IX
// I thought this was strange as well. Especially when there appears to be only like 4 rows of 8 desks. It’s not a university class, for Christ’s sake XD ~lt007
// My high school had about 140 students; knew every one of them. Maybe it’s the fact she’s only been there one day? ~Gnash

(Kagari Scenario)

//<1117> 俺はその指に向かって、端末から情報を送信した。
<1117> I point my phone at her finger and send a text.
// …how? ~IX
// I guess take it literally? ~lt007
// He’s talking to the personification of the Earth’s Life Force, and you choose to pick on mysterious cellphone abilities? Haha. ~Gnash

5 Likes

10 Likes

Floor 2 of Rewrite Quest: Complete!

(All of the floors after the 1st are small files. Here’s hoping there’s not much time to go.)

In going through Chihaya HF a second time, I realized something completely and hilariously wrong in the translation… Spoilered for those wanting to avoid a useless funny moment.

(Chihaya HF)

<0485> I pick two submissions at random.
<0486> The first one…『Jet Granny sighted!』
<0487> And the second one…『I’m a reincarnated warrior. Please help me find friends from my past life!』
<0488> Neither of them is worthwhile on its own…
<0489> But if we unify them…
<0490> I’m looking for my fellow reincarnated warrior Angel Saint…the purest being I ever knew, who once fought at my side.
<0491> In our past lives we fell at Armageddon to protect our comrades.
<0492> In this day and age she has become a jet granny.
<0493> She races at a top speed of 140 km/s, chasing down all speeders until they get in an accident.
// On a completely random note, this should probably be kph. 140kps is the equivalent to Mach 411. Allow it to sink in how ridiculous that is… I’m just gonna leave that the way it is. ~Gnash
<0494> But if you drive safely, she gives you good fortune, then leaves with the bizarre laugh “Kiefefefefefe!”

Also, RIP “イノウェイ”… Quite possibly the best-worst nickname in history, which can’t be translated into English in any form of an identifiable manner. ;_;

7 Likes

And I was just wondering the other day how that was handled, dammit.

//<1519> 瑚太朗
<1519> Kotarou

//<1520> 「なぁ、イノウェイ」
<1520> 「Hey, Inoue-chan.」

//<1521> 井上
<1521> Inoue

//<1522> 「あんまりそのあだ名好きじゃないんだけど…何?」
<1522> 「I’d rather you not call me that…but what is it?」
// She’s actually commenting on the use of a nickname that I never translated because there’s no good way to do it. So here I’m fudging it with a random -chan ~IX
// It works. I’m guessing the nickname has to do with the pronounced (ェイ), but for English, -chan works much better. ~Gnash

Yeah… It’s honestly probably the best way to handle it for people who can’t pickup on the Inou~way. Still kinda sucks though.

2 Likes

Yeah there is probably no way to translate that in english. My only idea is inoway/ ms.I know a way