Kazamatsuri.org Podcast Ep. 1: Planetarian Bookclub

After a long time coming, I'm very pleased to finally reveal the very first episode of the Kazamatsuri.org Podcast, marking the end of the Planetarian Bookclub. Joining myself were Bizkitdoh, Linkthinks and rune_devros of the forums, and together we go through the story of planetarian, bringing up all our thoughts of the story while incorporating discussion held on the forum, as well as announcing the winner of the Key Anime DVD or Blu-Ray. I've prepared the podcast in audio form on Soundcloud for download, but also on Youtube with visuals pretaining to what is being discussed. In the video you'll also be able to see the fanart that was submitted to the Bookclub. It took a bit longer than expected to get the podcast out, due to various issues, but now that it's out we're all very pleased with the result. I know it's long, but we hope you'll feel comfortable listening to it all in your own time. In my humble opinion, I think this is probably the coolest thing that Kazamatsuri.org community has produced since it's launch approximately 7 months ago, so I really hope you all give it a listen. I sincerely thank everyone who contributed to the Planetarian Bookclub and made this all possible. I can think of no better way for our community to commemorate the 10th anniversary of planetarian. May the next Bookclub be even more successful!

Please make sure you've read the entirety of planetarian before listening, unless you don't mind being spoiled on just about everything! If you'd like to learn more about planetarian, you can check out our information page here, or visit the steam store page here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://kazamatsuri.org/kazamatsuri-org-podcast-ep-1-planetarian-bookclub/
2 Likes

Excellent podcast, I am very much looking forwards to the next bookclub!

Apart from the sappy ā€˜What does planetarian mean to you?ā€™ section, it was very enjoyable. You all covered a whole bunch of interpretations, pointed out things that are easy to miss, and threw in some nice little ā€œfactoids.ā€ The editing was great too, so good job on that Aspi.
If the quality stays this high, itā€™ll be fun to see how the podcast covers the VNs that Iā€™m passionate about. Tomoyo After when?

1 Like

Kud Wafter when? ( Ķ”Ā° ĶœŹ– Ķ”Ā°)

2 Likes

Awwwwwwwwwww :c Those were my true feelings though! Thatā€™s what weā€™re all about. ^^ Itā€™s cheesy sure, but I think thereā€™s an inherent magic to planetarian that revolves around sharing something beautiful to brighten someones outlook on life.

3 Likes

I really liked that segment.

Awwwwwwwwwww c:

1 Like

Itā€™s just not the type of thing I enjoy, but hey, people can feel like that if they want to.

I really wanted to say this- Bra-freakin-vo to @rune_devros for joining us. He proved to be invaluable to this- The knowledge he brought was something nobody else would have been able to provide and heā€™s my personal MVP for the bookclub because of that. Great show, man. You really are someone I admire due to your passion. I gotta get that book lol

3 Likes

That and Kerbal Space Program.

2 Likes

All planetarian fans should own Kerbal.

1 Like

Itā€™s the definitive planetarian companion.

We need a planetarian mod for it. Chibi Yumemis everywhere.

2 Likes

Amazing podcast guys! I can tell they will get even better as the bookclubs continue. :smile:

Also, I am honored to be chosen as the MVP. It was really fun just to get my thoughts out there and also hear what you guys thought! I guess I just realized that this is really the only Key VN Iā€™ve actually finished so far (yikes!) so I really enjoyed just talking about it.

I wouldnā€™t consider any of you guys radio personality material, but its pretty solid for a first time thing. Also, @Aspirety, you say ā€œummā€ a lot. like a lot a lotā€¦

3 hours is so looonnngg though, but I guess there is quite a bit to coverā€¦ maybe consider doing a series of short (20-30 min) podcasts each with a different theme for next time? I feel like that would make it a little more accessible to some of the less ā€œdie hardā€ fans.

A big part of this is certainly the fact that weā€™re doing the entirety of planetarian, as opposed to just common and one route at a time, which is the goal for the future bookclubs. planetarian is really stuffed with things to talk about, where as thereā€™s a bit more filler material within a normal VN route/common. Itā€™ll also be smoother as we become more accustomed to it, of course.

Whelp. Only way to get better is by doing it, yeah? Even radio personalities gotta start somewhere.

1 Like

Planetarian is smaller than the average common/character route though, haha. I see how the fact that Planeterian is so unique makes it take a lot of time to explain it though.

For a more standard VN I still think it might be better to try and split it into shorter segments than just one for every route; maybe like 2-3 per route with one general coverage, one specifically for character interactions, and maybe a third for how it all ties into the main story. Having multiple sections would help keep the thoughts more concise and even if you cover the exact same topics it would, at the least, make it easier for people to find the parts theyā€™re most interested in, instead of having to skip around if they only want to hear one part.

+1 for the positive attitude

1 Like

I only listen to/watch a few other podcasts, but they all aim to finish at 2 1/2 hours - 3 hours long. Not sure if itā€™s staple or just a coincidenceā€¦

IIRC when the switch to planetarian was first made, Aspi said something like it might end up longer than future releases due toā€¦ well, covering a whole VN in one episode.

Time needed to be taken to explain why/how itā€™s different, and to relate it to the time of release (just after Clannad) as well as the bit-by-bit coverage probably being more in-depth since they had less content to go through. I think thereā€™s more to say about Planetarian for the second half of the show than any individual common/character route in a Key VN, aside from maybe the more complex Litbus and Rewrite routes. (Speaking of which, itā€™ll be interesting to see when they decide to do Yuikoā€™s route in relation to the rest of Litbus EXā€¦ which Iā€™m assuming will the version that everyone has read by then.)

Judging from the format of this episode, there will be coverage of the main plot points of the route, then a discussion about the material in the story, and opinions on the soundtrack/art/format of the VN. (This is more of a review type thing.) Then a discussion about the possible interpretations of what the story aimed to tell, and finishing off with opinions on the route/VN as a whole. (Deeper stuff than just a review.) Recorded messages played when they are most appropriateā€¦ or something like that~

1 Like

It was fun! Even if we had to do it twice, I had a blast both times. I feel like I have a lot of trouble inserting myself into a conversation when everyone else is talking, so thatā€™s something Iā€™m not sure how best to work on.

I really wanted to say this- Bra-freakin-vo to @rune_devros for joining us. He proved to be invaluable to this- The knowledge he brought was something nobody else would have been able to provide and heā€™s my personal MVP for the bookclub because of that. Great show, man. You really are someone I admire due to your passion. I gotta get that book lol

Iā€™m really happy I got to contribute a perspective to the podcast. Science and space is a thing that I have a passion for, so I was glad to have an avenue to share it.

For future podcasts, I agree that we could split it up so that itā€™s more digestable. Planetarian is hard to skip over parts because it is so short and each moment is filled with meaning. I know based on my playthroughs of Rewrite and LB! that there would be major highlights in routes and some big chunks we can skip over.

Ah, thatā€™s another thing! Good work calling out people to speak @Aspirety. Iā€™m not sure if you all shared notes and ideas before the podcast, or if it was just because you recorded it before, but segueing into a topic where you can safely call out another person to lead the discussion was great. It felt really comfortable (as a listener at least) so I think you should work on keeping that going in future.

2 Likes