Kazamatsuri Fantasy Sports: The Kanonball Run

So a long while ago, when I first joined last summer, I showed off a couple street circuits I made up out of Key locations.

I figured, if guys like @Pepe think threads with active user participation are a good idea, why shouldn’t I throw my hat and data ribbon into the ring with something I’m good at, and use my knowledge?

This, for lack of a better term, gameboard, is the Kanonball Run, a fantasy sports league I can run for everyone from the comfort of my PC, which everyone can take part in.

THE SETTING

The sport of motor racing is littered with legendary traditions which came about “just because.” The first milk bottle an Indy 500 winner ever drank was because it was to hand. The first spray of champagne was just because a cork blew off of a bottle during a trophy ceremony because it was just that hot. The Cannonball Run was started to protest speed limits in the United States…then kept up just because.

There is no fancy explanation for this event, the Kanonball Run…just that as it always seems to happen with racing, the first race happened when the second car hit town. What nobody could conceive were the limits the Kanonball Run tournament would surge past, and just what unknown elements the racers are: high schoolers. Parents. Robots. Singers, all fueled by a world noticing there is a new most extreme game in town.

And exactly why are these people all racing? Because superkarts are way cheaper than full-size racing cars, and a lot more fun to stuff in places a regular car just can’t go. That doesn’t mean they’re to be laughed at - the professional stuff is lightning fast and the Kanonball Run superkarts go even beyond that.

THE RULES

The Kanonball Run is a fantasy sports league run by myself using a sports scorinator called xkoranate. At heart, this is a management game. …not really a rule, I suppose, but consider that it’s a good way to describe how things work in this game and describe how it’s paced. If you haven’t got much time I can still run things and can check up on the thread to see what’s going on.

In the Kanonball Run, you manage a Key character. They are contenders in the Kanonball Run, and as I feel things out, each player is allowed to manage up to two characters. Come up with a team name if you like. Pending discussion with entrants, I’d like to come up with special effects characters might have.
Players will have a list of components they are to start with, broken down into Engine, Chassis and Tires, for which I’ll basically put down a shopping list. You’re allowed to build a car from different parts for each character. Each has a score out of ten in three stats that decide your performance: Acceleration, Cornering and Reliability. Acceleration and Cornering describe how good a match you are for the circuit you’re currently at, with higher scores on a circuit corresponding to much better results if your car have a high score in that area. A higher score in Reliability means you have a better chance of actually finishing the race.

Players all start with 1000 Budget for each character they manage. Budget is used to make improvements in stat points. It works like this: to get a chance at improving a stat, you spend your current score in that stat times a hundred for one roll of some dice I have in my room. Meet or exceed a target number I choose, and you get a stat improvement. So if you have a score of, say, 3 in a stat, you spend 300 Budget for the chance. If you have a whopping score of 8, you spend 800 Budget for the chance. You can do this as many times as you want in between races, but, duh, that’s gonna be expensive, and every roll you buy is only to improve each stat by one point. Each improvement only counts towards one character, and I won’t allow you to climb any higher than 9 in any score except Reliability for the sake of the next rule down.

Rounds will consist of introducing the track, a round of qualifying, then the race proper. At the start of each race, I will show an image of the circuit in question and give you some statistics. You won’t know what it prioritizes unless you figure it out yourself, because I will allow you to take a point from Acceleration and put it in Cornering, or vice-versa in order to try to fine-tune how your characters will perform.

I will randomly roll for weather before each round. Bad weather has an effect on performance, which I will explain in each event of it.

Competitors will be scored by points based on finishing position after each event. From first down, the points will go as follows: 11 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

After all the rounds are completed, a Champion will be crowned both from Drivers and Teams. In the case of a draw, the competitor who won the most times will be crowned Champion.

Because I’m asking players to step into the shoes of characters here, roleplaying is optional, but welcomed. Coming up with good reasons for stuff will be rewarded. I don’t know exactly how yet, but I’ll definitely think of something. Omake will be for basically building up good reasons for doing things, like developing cars or bidding for special abilities. That’s for discussion here in the thread and in PMs.

THE SHOPPING LIST

[details=Chassis]Gaia Works Carbon
Acceleration: +1
Cornering: +1
Reliability: +2

Botanelli Laydown
Acceleration: +2
Reliability: +1

Hiikochassis 6-Wheeler
Cornering: +2

GT By Tipi Monocoque
Cornering: +3
Reliability: +0

Mikoto Wing Car
Acceleration: +3
Reliability: +0[/details]

[details=Engine]Suzuki Group I4 Hybrid

HANTA I6 TT

NAZEDA Rotary

DangOS Electric In-Wheel
Cornering: +3
Reliability: +0

Matsubishi Land Systems Turboshaft
Acceleration: +3
Reliability: +0[/details]

[details=Tires]2121

Hanabishi Store Generic

Jam Grip
Reliability: +1[/details]

THE SCHEDULE

[details=Cup 1: Hikarizaka Trophy]Hikarizaka High Loop (1.7 km, 20 laps)

Station Run (3 km, 10 laps)

Hikarizaka Rush (5 km, 6 laps)

Touge Hikarizaka (4.7 km, point to point)
[/details]

[details=Cup 2: Mt. Sarakura Touge Festival]

North Face Uphill (5.3 km, point to point)

North Face Downhill (5.3 km, point to point)

South Face Circuit (3 km, 8 laps)

Peak To Peak (6.1 km, point to point)

Full Downhill (14.3 km, point to point)
[/details]

[details=Cup 3: Kami Summer Of Speed]

Bridge To Bridge Circuit (0.69 km, 30 laps)

Kami Cross-Town Run (6.3 km, point to point)

Grand Prix of Kami (4.2 km, 6 laps)
[/details]

[details=Cup 4: Kazamatsuri Horizon Festa]

Kazamatsuri Station Circuit (2.5 km, 10 laps)

Martel Street Circuit (5.1 km, 5 laps)

Kazamatsuri Central Park (2.8 km, 9 laps)

Chihaya Short Circuit (0.4 km, 90 laps)
[/details]

[details=Cup 5: Street Race Under The Stars presented by Hanabishi]

Act Tower Short Circuit (1 km, 35 laps)

Bus Stop Short Oval (0.27 km, 100 laps)
Hanabishi Planetarium GP Circuit (4.74 km, 7 laps)
[/details]

[details=Cup 6: Kusakabe Kart Festival]

Shop Run Loop (0.71 km, 30 laps)

Kasukabe Superprix Circuit (1.14 km, 25 laps)

Hitachi Half-Klick (0.53 km, 50 laps)
[/details]

[details=Cup 7: The Kanonball Run]

Note: The Motomachi VMax Runs are so long, making maps of them was too tricky. Instead, here are the actual maps.

Moriguchi Station Circuit (1 km, 40 laps)

Motomachi VMax Run Leg 1 (20 km, point to point)
Motomachi VMax Run Leg 2 (19 km, point to point)
Motomachi VMax Run Final Leg (22 km, point to point) [/details]

THE CONTENDERS

To be filled

3 Likes

Ootori Chihaya is up to the challenge!
«– Sakuya’s route, they say… Not enough chara development they say…
– Stay away, Chihaya: you can’t do that, you can’t do this… But now I would end it all!
– The time has come for me to take the position of one and the only main heroine!»
Chihaya’s vehicle “Chihayadozer” has:
Chassis: Mikoto Wing Car
Engine: NAZEDA Rotary
Tires: Jam Grip
Total, ACC +6, C +4, R +2

I wonder if there seriously no one else interested in this little event… :komue: and with 70 views as well.