Kazamatsuri Community Interviews Sekai Project's CLANNAD Team

“Botan” is a pun (i.e. “botan nabe” is a Japanese dish made with boar meat) so it doesn’t have the same implications. “Button” can be an endearing pet name in either language, but the English usage doesn’t cause this level of contextual confusion. It might seem like an accurate translation on the surface, but it does the related dialogue a disservice. Furthermore, “localizing” puns usually makes them sound unnatural or not as clever, which has unintended side effects (DAD JOKES). Sometimes a localized pun will make even less sense, depending on where the reader is from (English has many dialects too).

That’s probably why it was an easy decision for the team. This Dangopedia is a great solution to the problem many translation teams run into. Unfortunately, nuance is often lost in translation unless you educate the reader beforehand. Shoving “translation notes” into dialogue boxes can feel intrusive towards those who are familiar with certain customs, while very few people will read the notes if they’re kept in a separate text file. The Dangopedia integrates these notes into the program so it’s unobtrusive, but still very easy to access - which is a great middle ground!

3 Likes

When a debate about localization vs translation kicked off in relation to AB, I was saying how having something like the encyclopedia in S;G or the popups in Kanon are a dream to have.
There are some puns and jokes that can be translated super easily (See AB’s “horndog”) but then you get stuff that is so unfamiliar with any English terms that you either have to change it or translate it as an awkwardly long sentence.

Plus, I like the learning aspect of having things explained… Maybe a side effect from being in the TL-note age…
You learn a lot, and then the next time it shows up in a VN or something, you get it.

2 Likes

And how Dangopedia works? There is original word/phrase and it is linked to dangopedia (which would be great) or in reverse - translated or rather localised word/phrase linked to original in dangopedia (which would totally sucks)?

///
“Normally for a localization you tend to leave them out because the suffixes are pretty common and it’s not needed for most dialogue.”
Well, total bullshit for me, but ok…

It depends on the context - some things (Dango) aren’t really translatable, so they have articles explaining the word. Other things are translated, with Dangopedia articles filling in cultural background that would otherwise be lost on an English speaker.

such as cassette. I wonder, what could that be?

3 Likes

“Cassette tape” is in Dangopedia because the translator for the part left a note for the editor that the tapes have a tab that can be broken to make them unrecordable. I am sure it must be very lulzy from an outside perspective that there’s an entry for something that mundane and most people can likely immediately recognize, but I am willing to bet that most people don’t know about the tab thing, which is the only thing that the Dangopedia definition touches on.

3 Likes

You can actually make a cassette tape re-recordable by taping over where the tab was. Including store-bought ones that didn’t have one from before. N-Not that I’d know or anything.

2 Likes

Right, thanks for answer. But I still didn’t get a clear answer :slight_smile:
Japanese untranslatable words are linked to dangopedia, or already translated things to English are linked to dangopedia and in dangopedia there is Japanese writing with note?
I’ve read on a steam forum that already translated words and phrases are linked to dangopedia (where I can find original word with explanation) so I’m confused. Any other examples (not that obvious like dango)?

To be honest, it’s dealbreaker for me. I don’t like spending my money on something which is not satisfying me.

In the dangopedia you both find japanese terms that are difficult to translate (and thus, a further explanation on what they represent is given), as well as some other things like cassette tapes, VHS and others I don’t recall.

However, the majority of the entries are from these difficult to translate japanese concepts.

Normally they already translate everything and then they give you a translation note in the dangopedia, but some things like Urashima Tarou are untranslatable and they’ll leave the term there and then offer you an explanation of the concept in the dangopedia.

1 Like

It was amazing to read all the interview Q&A with the staff and see how passionate and willing they were to get this project done, and I am thankful to them for that! Bringing such a iconic classic VN to the West after all this time and now people get to be introduce to the world of CLANNAD, it just boggles me on how more and more people in general will get exposed to these type of games, anime, manga, and japanese culture in general! It really is a beautiful thing and I cannot wait until Anime culture really becomes a even bigger thing over here than ever before and see how much it CAN get exposed here! I want to live in a world where you see gamers who have a favorite game that’s a Japanese VN, or talking about Anime on the street, or reading a manga in the park, similar to Japan, or seeing anime air on regular BIG channels like Lifetime or ABC, or TNT, etc. and families getting together and watching an anime they recently got into and getting just as hyped over it like in the way they do in Japan, with how we get hyped over here with Walking Dead or Empire, haha! :joy: But anyway I just can’t wait for the day when Anime dominates America and becomes another cultural phenomenon we adopt into our country!!! :smile: :blush: :heart: