Kanon - Yuuichi Aizawa Character Discussion

When I think of Yuuichi as an jackass, I think about his scenes with Nayuki, where she gets bullied for no reason at all. If we talk about Makoto, well, like @Pepe said, no normal person would trust an amnesiac who hates you for no reason and has decided to live in the room next to yours the day you meet her. It’s more than justified. Hell, even Makoto tries to play pranks on him every night. I would never forgive her.

Ayu is more a weirdo than anything. She steals taiyaki and tackles him almost intentionally more than once (because yelling get out of the way while running trying to escape from the taiyaki vendor isn’t an excuse).

So, all in all, he is an asshole, but his actions are pretty understandable most of the time.

@Pepe, you are living in Japan. Aren’t random hugs in public places something very embarassing there? Because I don’t know about you, but I would act the same way.

1 Like

Yes, they are quite embarrassing here and in other asian countries (I assume). Though I remember staying a month or so in Europe and seeing it was all too commonplace. Cultural differences, I guess.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s due to the writing, but Yuuichi seems really bad at, well, being in love.

For example, his narration never really changes. Even after confessing or being confessed to, he barely ever reacts appropriately. He barely ever thinks about his feelings.
It’s especially bad during Mai’s route. [spoiler]Whenever he talks about his love for Mai, it’s like he’s talking about some other guy’s feelings, because he never follows up on it. I see friendship there. I see a kind of a sense of duty. But I fail to see actual, romantic love and on top of it, he’s really bad at reading both Mai’s and Sayuri’s feelings. It’s come to a point where even Mai is more expressive with her feelings than Yuuichi is!

Yuuichi is never blushing or making any effort to charm the girl of his choice beyond confessing. [/spoiler]

He does have some great (albeit rare) moments of being in love and acting the part.
For example, in Shiori’s route, when he got rejected and became a lump of depression for several days. Or near the end of Nayuki’s and Mai’s routes, where he basically says something along the lines of don’t worry about anything, baby, I’ll stay with you forever and I will spend my life taking care of you!

It just feels weird.

1 Like