Kanon Bookclub Podcast Finale: Ayu Route

Here we are with the final episode of the Kanon Bookclub Podcast. Being our final episode, we will be referencing events from all five routes, so a spoiler warning for those who haven't completely finished Kanon! We go into what did and didn't work with us from Ayu's route, and

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://kazamatsuri.org/kanon-bookclub-podcast-finale-ayu-route/
2 Likes

So what’s after the Kanon book club ? The Tomoyo After Book Club ?

Kanon-kun I must really say, I completely understand how you feel about Kanon. Here’s a little fact about me, I saw Clannad first which completely changed my views and attitude towards life. I then watched Kanon (and every other one of Key’s works after Kanon) and realized that Kanon is my favorite and is just so much more unique. Like you guys have been saying, Kanon is this time capsule of the 90’s and I really I wish I could have experienced by playing it when it first came out! It remind me of simpler times. What I am saying might not make much sense but I really really love the whole 90’s feel of it. Like It takes me back to those days where everything was way more simpler, with not so many distractions from technology, where I was playing outside more and saw/enjoyed the sunset way more than I do now? Sorry it’s just very hard explain how it makes me feel. It just feels good and nostalgic. Anyways sorry for the pointless rant I just wanted to say how much Kanon reminds me of a time I can never get experience or go back to again.

Thank you guys for the amazing podcasts of Kanon, they were super interesting and fun to listen to. There were definitely some things I had never thought about before prior to listening to the podcast. Thanks again!

3 Likes

I’m…speechless.

When I started doing the AIR Bookclub, I put a great deal of effort in the posts I made. Perhaps they weren’t of the highest quality because I didn’t have as much of a presence or analytical skill, but I didn’t think I could top my efforts in Minagi, at least.

Guess I was wrong.

A lot of my heart went into the posts and fan projects I made throughout this bookclub, although I had my doubts that they could reach the same quality as my AIR Bookclub stuff in terms of Key Points or real analysis. I didn’t know why people like @Mogaoscar wanted to copy what I was doing; it was just a flexible structure I created for myself as I wrote about all the routes I read. It’s no lie that it’s the result of a lot of practice, but I feel that Kanon was mostly a simple, straightforward story. There wasn’t a whole lot to point out and analyze, and I felt other people did a better job finding stuff to point out.

So hearing that I was picked as MVP out of three other candidates, who were just as deserving, if not more, of the title…I feel like crying tears of joy. @Pepe is correct in that Kanon is indeed a Key work that holds a special place in my heart. It was the first Key VN I read, and for a while now I’ve held it above CLANNAD in terms of how much it resonated with me. I know how much other people enjoy reading through it, although I don’t know if they share the same sort of passion. People had plenty of time to catch up to my lengthy posts, each tackling the subject matter in their own personal way. It makes me happy that I was able to stand as a shining example for the community, even if I wasn’t able to do everything I wanted to do.

@Mogaoscar is especially deserving of my thanks. He’s been a great buddy on Discord as well as the forum, and I admired his dedication towards keeping discussion going in the Bookclub threads. In the short time he’s been here on the forum he has done a lot to get on my good side (he even gave me CLANNAD!), and I wish him luck on whatever he intends to do for the next few bookclubs. Same goes to @Kanon and @therationalpi, my fellow Kanon fans and Bookclub analysts! And a special thanks to everyone else who made this Bookclub a reality!

I feel like I’m running out of things to say for the Bookclub Anthology…Here’s hoping I end things off with an Uguu~ :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I wanted to revive this topic because it’s been a while that I wanted to express my thoughts on the podcast while playing Ayu’s route, so I’ll make this short and concise.

I’m really grateful to be a part of the Kanon Bookclub as this has been an enjoyment re-reading Kanon once again that I was able to take the time of knowing how this VN meant to me. I can’t say enough how much I love the relationship between Yuuichi and Ayu had that special bond with only that single promise with the pinky swear that signified that they would see each other again. The flashbacks back and forth with Yuuichi and Ayu in the past were wonderful to read as they created those memories that they knew were special to them while Yuuichi truly had cared and loved Ayu.

The symbolism that was discussed with the snow covered in red, the sunset, and Ayu’s eyes carried much depth of how truly sad what Ayu was going through in her mind as she was dreaming through the very beginning. It was hard for me reading this route again because of the emotional feels that struck me to the core as Yuuichi embraced Ayu that he was able to see her one last time before she was about to give out her final wish to Yuuichi and how he could not bear to lose her as he would have to let Ayu’s “spirit” move on.

This was truly one of my favorite VN and I like to thanks those that contributed to the bookclub and read through my posts too as well as it has been my first experience being in a bookclub that I got to participate fully and enjoyed every single moment of it.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that with us Sonic!