Jun Maeda's New "Autumn Song" Catches Us by Surprise

Despite the numerous issues recently on Jun Maeda's health and condition in general, VisualArt's surprises us with a sudden release of a new song on their YouTube channel, produced by the man himself. Entitled "Autumn Song," this song gives us a familiar feel of his previous "Hikkikomori no Uta" but

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://kazamatsuri.org/jun-maedas-new-autumn-song-catches-us-by-surprise/
10 Likes

This is amazing! Jun Maeda does it again! It’s such an interesting blend of instruments, starting off with a folksy sound featuring a banjo and the consistent strum of a guitar, while a haunting sound plays repeatedly in the background. It creates a deeply sentimental, yet intensely personal sound. Then, the progression shifts the song’s tone, the harsh sound of an electrical guitar overtaking the banjo. The personal nature of the song becomes more vivid, lashing all of the singer’s inner rage out on the viewing audience. Once finished, the song settles down back to it’s original beat as the performer finishes.

The instrumental is so dynamic. I’m grateful to Visual Arts for uploading the whole song on their own Youtube channel.

2 Likes

Rock on Maeda!! ;_; I love this, I’m so happy. His music is always so exciting.

This is actually really good, I expected to hear a female voice, but I like the way it came out more. Overall solid and refreshing song from Maeda

I don’t think I heard Jun Maeda sing before. D= I hope he has a successful operation and his health improves.

This is a good song!

Bless this man

1 Like

I can’t stop listening to this song. It’s so MAEDA, even if he’s not the one performing it. I love it.

Funnily enough, they were talking about the song being different from usual on twitter.

I’ve been listening to this song constantly, but I feel like I’m missing something. At first I spent a lot of time looking for patterns in the text all because of this line. “moshi kashi tara gake dake ga atte.” The repetitious reading just sounds too good to not be deliberate. Alas, I can’t find anything else.

The lyrics also have many things going on. The most interesting line, I think, is actually the last one. In a solemn tone, our narrator takes note that the winter has come. This obviously connects to the title, Autumn Song. This is a song about “autumn,” and autumn has now come to an end in place of winter. One could theorize long and hard about what this could be in reference to; I can only really say that it’s a period of some kind. The narrator does reminisce about how he was raised, so it could be talking about childhood. However, I’m more inclined to think the song is about whomever the narrator is talking to.

They’re vague, but there are clear references to the two’s relationship over time. They grew up together and they’re seemingly on a journey. One of my favorite things in the song is the phrase â€œæƒłćƒă‚’ç”¶ă™ă‚‹â€ and how it’s used. Now, I’ve looked through a couple of dictionaries, but I still don’t think I really get what this phrase means, so some of my thoughts could be off. There’s an poignant progression in how the narrator uses the phrase throughout the song. It’s said three times. The first time, while the narrator is looking back at where they came from, he urges the other person to not do it and instead stop walking and rest. The narrator prefers to sit down and look back on things while the other person is someone who would walk ahead.
The second mentioning of â€œæƒłćƒă‚’ç”¶ă™ă‚‹â€ is when the narrator proclaims a desire to “chase the wind”(the wind is also a prevalent symbol in the song). It’s said in a matter similar to “I’ll do this. I won’t run away, so let’s go together.” Obviously, the narrator’s thinking is changing here as he wishes to join the other person on their adventure.
Directly after that though, the narrator talks about if the two ever meet again, so they somehow get separated. They also mention alcohol, so they are adults. The final time â€œæƒłćƒă‚’ç”¶ă™ă‚‹â€ is mentioned, the narrator is talking about if life perhaps should be lived “free like the wind,” and this time he is urging the other person to join him, so their roles have reversed. In the end though, the journey is cut short by the cold wind of winter. This progression makes me think the period that has ended is the narrator’s time with this other person. Perhaps they failed to keep walking forward alongside the narrator, like in Futari Dake no Ark, or alternatively they could be dead. Whatever it is supposed to be, I’ve put so much time into this song: it’s awesome.

5 Likes

Just going to put a bit of my thoughts on this song here

First of all, it feels exceptionally “mature” or “adult”, call it whatever you want.
Without a doubt this is a song of a journey
 but what journey exactly?
We are asked at the very beginning if we know what lies ahead at the end of a long road/journey.
And then this very journey actually starts, the journey of life. It starts not from the youth, or spring of life. It actually starts from adulthood. We are introduced to the road that lies ahead of our protagonist of this song, to the road which can be full of cliffs (which can easily be interpreted in all of human life troubles).
Our protagonist walks on this road, he has been told that its only good that road ain’t easy, that he has to keep on going. And so he does
 then decides to stop for a moment and looks back. And the wind stops blowing. All of the time he has lived through lies behind him, his memories, his failings, and acomplishments, everything is there and it all looks somehow beautful. Yes, it does. Its so beautiful, that you can’t even imagine just how much.
And so the travel continues on. It is said that if you try, you will surely achieve something
 but, bah. That’s not really true. A lof of people failed trying
 And who said that you need an umbrella when it rains? Will you die if you get wet? And if so, what is there so good about living anyway?
And so you are soaked to the bones, and what about it? Just dry it and everything would be fine.
Then the wind again started to blow, and it would be nice if he can be with someone who is so dear to him.
Now everything have dried up and it would surely be nice to pursue the wind. Yeah, he imagine and goes beyond that imagination. No more running away, he calls to go further.
His life goes on. He meets people, he separates with them.
But if only he manages to meet again that someone so dear to him he would surely bring in some wine. Because this world is so big and they should surely drink for the miracle of their meeting.
Then some philosophycal questions kicks in: what are we all living and dying for? And if this life is just a coincidence, protagonist doesn’t know what to do

But the wind blows! Blows the way it wants and nothing can change it.
The next line is a bit tricky
 as it can be read in two ways: “Where are wind called us blowing” or “Where is this wind blows us to”. I personally think that both meanings are expressed here.
It would surely be good to think of the life the way we think of a wind
 Just try to imagine it and go beyond the boundaries of imagination. Then maybe we will be able to live our life the way we want

But cold wind blows.
Ah, right
 The winter is already here.

Ugh
 or “uguuu” Why whenever I just try to write my impressions it goes into a full-blown translation
 well, so.
At the very end we’ve got an answer on “what is lying ahead in the end of the road”
 The “Winter” lies there.
To me, this song (I’ve said it in the beginning) represents the life of a person. Then, winter here would mean twilight years, senility.
Basically, the protagonist of this song spent all of his adulthood and maturity looking for the meaning of life, looking for what is there in the end of it. He had meetings, he made farewells on his way. It wasn’t easy, there were a lot of troubles on his road of life, yet in the end he come across the though that it would be nice to live like a wind, be free of any chains. Just live the way you want

Meh, I wanted to write it less frantic, but guess I’ve failed.

5 Likes

For the curious peoples, Shiranehito translated the lyrics of the song on his blog

1 Like

His musical touch is amazing. I think I like every single one of his works that I know of so far, and that is pretty rare for me to like everything like that!