Jokrono and MagusVerborum try to understand Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

It is a testament to Ryukishi’s writing that I still get chills from the end of this chapter every single time I read it. It’s such a wonderful primer for what we’re about to experience. I think it no understatement that the next chapter is the climax of everything we’ve experienced thus far, over the past four episodes… So, ladies and gentlemen.

BRACE YOURSELVES FOR THE TRUE POWER OF THE GOLDEN WITCH! cackle cackle

1 Like

Here we are at the end of Ep4. This one was wild to read and even wilder to edit. I think it’s fantastic how well these tea parties set up everything that Chiru is about to do. Double recaps come out on Monday and then straight in to ep5!

3 Likes

Prepare to Cry :uee:

2 Likes

Roses and their thorns… I always hurt myself watching this tea party.

2 Likes

Recap time! The standard double issue; one regular recap:

And one post-edit recap:

Enjoy! :deino:

2 Likes

IT’S LIKE IT’S CHRISTMAS BUT FOR MYSTERY FANS :deino:

1 Like

Welcome to Chiru! A big part of Chiru for me was picking apart the meta world of the story; as those of you who followed on the Rokkenjima.org forums probably know. Episode 5 really was the thing that inspired all this and I’m really excited for you all to see that going down. It’s been great to edit so far so I hope you all enjoy it as much as Ben and I have been :deino:

2 Likes

And thus we begin my favourite episode! :smiley: New characters, new locations, new game master! What could possibly go wrong!?!?

Picking Felix’s brain on his expectations and assumptions was super duper fun, Chiru kinda turns the formula on its head that we’ve come to expect. Also! Seeing how some of the characters change so drastically from one episode to the next is really interesting, I’m almost surprised at how much Ryukishi can get away with cough the Voyager Witches cough.

1 Like

Great topic! I’m still at Chapter 6, but I am loving it! :grinning:
I’ll watch them more thoroughly after I’m done.

2 Likes

I’m sincerely curious to watch you playing Chiru, I have not yet listened to the podcasts.

Krauss just wanted to realize his dream… :yahaha:

2 Likes

Episode 5 Rolls on!

This Episode’s focus on Natsuhi early on was really great; I thought it was a fantastic was of introducing Chiru as its own coherent package, as well as doing a great job of reframing Natsuhi’s actions in earlier episodes, particularly Ep1. That final scene of Bern confirming in red that Natsuhi was alone in the end also speaks really well to some of the themes that this Episode starts to hammer home and I think it’s a fantastic setup.

2 Likes

It’s kinda nice to see someone else at the helm (no both sides of the gameboard) but my goodness these witches are SAVAGE. I just want sweet baby Natsuhi to be happy, and it looks like that has been certainly denied. We’re going to be seeing a lot of her in this episode so I hope you like her! I know I certainly had a rollercoaster ride playing her~

2 Likes

HELLO MOTHER!
And so the gameboard inches closer and closer; and the mysteries are mounting up. The man from 19 years ago was one of my favourite surprises going in to this episode; it really caught me off guard but that also pushed me to rush for an answer on who it was, which you’ll see becomes an interesting problem. Also I cut it out but we spent a good long while discussing how to voice the man from 19 years ago, but it’s a voice based off an old DnD character I loved dearly who was an interrogation expert; so it was fun to pull that voice back out after all this time.

2 Likes

I can still hear…
the roar…
of the sea…

2 Likes

This is a fun chapter. It kinda sets up all the the adults for the rest of the episode, and mayhaps provides some clues as to the nature of this gameboard~

Also, Lambda gets to test out her acting skills! Yaaaaaaayyyy. As Lambda’s number 1 fan I just want to say how happy I am to see her finally getting the spotlight. She may not ever dethrone Beato as the one true #bestgirl but if she doesn’t make it into the top 3 in the character polls I’ll be disappointed.

ALSO ALSO. My maniacal plan to put us on the opposite side of as many ships as possible has finally been revealed! SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP SHIP!

1 Like

So the chaos begins; the first hitch along the way. The foundations of theories slipping away. What can we do about that? It was really great to see the theory I had attacked this way; but if anything it actually only redoubled my confidence because to open Chiru this way felt like a direct challenge rather than a complete debunking. My confidence at around 33:00 really goes to show how ready I was to fight going in to this episode, and the pain train is only just beginning.

2 Likes

How could they made Jessica wear those clothes?

2 Likes

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ERIKA HYPE GET YOUR BUTTS READY :happy:

2 Likes

Lots of theorycrafting today! Get your thinking hats on :deino:

2 Likes

This is the episode of the playthrough where we can finally answer the real questions: How much of what we’re shown should we be taking literally? What is the line between fantasy and reality? Will Ben be able to dodge questions indefinitely or will he crack under pressure? FIND OUT SOON! :happy:

1 Like