Introduce Yourself!

Yay :,) I’m so glad I found this place. I never had the opportunity to discuss Key with others but now I do!

2 Likes

Welcome~
It’s strange. There’s a lot of Clannad fans, but unless an anime adaption just finished airing, it’s hard to find people willing to focus on discussing solely Key works.

True that. I have many friends that love anime and have at least seen one Key adaptation that they loved but they’re reluctant to seek out any other works by Key. Haha like with my best friend, I always talk about Key stuff and one time he tried to recommend Angel Beats to me and I told him, “dude, that was made by Key!” “Wow, I loved it.” Then he proceeded to not watch any other adaptation haha xD here it seems like most people have read/seen most of all of Keys works so I feel right at home

1 Like

Greetings everyone.

Just joined this community to hopefully meet new people and just to be around people that have similar interests with me, specifically Key and visual novels.

Little bit about me: started reading/playing visual novels a little more than a year ago, and since then I have been getting really into anime, manga and all that good stuff. It all started with Katawa Shoujo. My first Key visual novel was Kanon, and since then I’ve been trying go read all Key novels in chronological order that they came out in. (Right now I’m trying to finish Clannad).

Hopefully I post a lot here, and get along with the community members.

Thank you!

Update: I just want to thank everyone for the welcomes!
<3

4 Likes

No, thank you. :3

Welcome! Always happy to see people experiencing Key works and getting fresh views. ^^
I hope you’re enjoying Clannad. It’s one of the big ones, for sure. Lots of stuff in there!

And of course, to both you and @BobTheBlox45, Discourse has a pretty nifty search tool~ Type in a character name or a Key VN and you should see anything that’s been made in reference to them. :slight_smile:

Also~

1 Like

Welcome~

The VNs just get better and better after Clannad~ It’ll be fun to hear what you think of them all.

1 Like

I think it might have to do with the fact that there also is a lot of push back against Key in the anime community. I think there are at least as many if not more people who hate Clannad and Angel Beats! as there are who love them.

@BobTheBlox45 and @dirk_beefhammer welcome, welcome. Clannad was one of my first anime and my first experience of Key, and Katawa Shoujo was my first VN (it was originally supposed to be Clannad, but thats a long story) so I already have stuff in common with both of you. Hope to see you around!

1 Like

Eh, maybe for Angel Beats - that is incredibly overrated, but Clannad has an insane amount of support no matter where you go. Either the people who hate Clannad are quiet, or they aren’t a large amount of people. I know that my older sister hates it, and I’m not particularly fond of it (least favorite main Key VN, third least favorite overall) but I’ve never really had anyone say “yeah, it was pretty average” whenever I bring it up.

Maybe I just talk to a bunch of people with bricks for hearts, haha. :laughing:
But I really do hear a lot of people saying its boring, and most of them probably haven’t read the VN, which I would agree gets really dull in some parts

Hello, and again, welcome to Aperture Science Enrichment Cen-

OH, forgot that I was in Kazamatsuri.org and I’m not GLaDOS

Welcome and enjoy your stay! Great people here. Let’s enjoy the Key together :3

It happened to me

A random dude in Twitter recommended me Clannad, even though I’ve
been talking about Key there since 2009 (And saw Clannad back in its day
/o/)

Like teaching NASA about rockets… it was funny

While I’ve been under that impression during years, that was because I became surrounded by the wrong people online. Then again, it is not exclusive of Clannad and AB! or a new phenomena. There was a time when Key fans and their discussion of the VNs were banned from 2ch. And that’s, at least, from around the time the Air anime… er, well, aired. Maybe from even before. Somehow became troll’s bait

There was a time when their voices were louder than the fans’. From then, they either changed their minds, or moved on to troll the newer anime.
 Some rejected the works because of overanalyizing and expecting something else. Use of buzzwords (such as “deus ex machina”, “forced drama”, “chins of death” and such) and other ways to make themselves (and their hate) superior to the fans were (and still are) common. There was even a brony in ANN forums who used the (buzz)words “ethos, pathos, logos” to that effect. It was funny because it didn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Also, I’ve seen better reception for Key works in Japanese (obvious), English or even Portuguese speaking communities than in the Spanish speaking ones. Maybe a cultural thing or something…

…sorry for the tl;dr. It helped me vent some of my anger.

Anyways, enjoy the stay

1 Like

Oh yeah, that’s what I was referring to when I said

Most of the complaints were always kinda strange… It’s the kind of complaints that show up every single time a Key anime gets an adaption (it even happened with Litbus recently.)
But… I can’t go anywhere anime-related without seeing people recommend Clannad whenever they can. It’s always up there with all the other overrated anime like S;G, Madoka, TTGL, FMA, and whatever is the new hit thing. You can’t say “this anime was so sad” without someone saying “oh, you should watch Clannad. It’s better.”
I long for the day I can bring up the topic of masterpiece songs in anime without someone claiming Dango Daikazoku is worthy of the title “masterpiece.”

Oh, and I think the 2ch stuff was actually before the Air game… right? They went off and made that BBS for Leaf and Key. Unless there was another Key controversy on 2ch when the anime aired.

Ah, yup~ Found the board! There was a link on Wikipedia~

It is certainly one of the most different of the Key novels, from Air and Kanon, but then again Clannad was released quite some time after those two.

I am most certainly enjoying it!

1 Like

The community is very divided on which of Key’s games is the best. I’ve heard people say Kanon, Air, Clannad, Tomoyo After, Little Busters and Rewrite are each the best of their stories - there isn’t much consensus. Though if I had to say, I think Clannad and Little Busters are probably the most well regarded in my experience.

1 Like

Haha, yeah… its crazy how Maeda can use such a simple tune to make people flip out like that

Yes. That one. I didn’t remember well the dates. Then again, what happened back then as to force 2ch staff to use the banhammer?

Edit:
      |iヽ /li
    〃 '⌒´`ヽ.  
    Kiミ!|ノノ))))〉
    ノ ヘ.|l.゚ ヮ゚ノ|!   
   ((( ⊂Ii†iつ      
   )ノ fく/_|〉
       し’フ

Dies from a heart attack

2 Likes

It reminds me of the whole Pony controversy on 4chan.
Oh god, are we the bronies?

2 Likes

I guess I am one of the few who got hooked on Key because of Kanon. Though that hype of mine kind of slowed down because I refused to watch the anime adaptation of Clannad without playing the VN first :stuck_out_tongue:
Then I did end up playing the VN in 2010, then LB in 2011, and Rewrite in 2013.

Yay Kanon people~ I didn’t get into VNs until AiSp@ce made me realize there was more than just Kanon in the world (and that I could get a better ending to the Shuffle anime >.>)

I moved 3 posts to an existing topic: General Visual Novel Thread

2 Likes

Hello everybody! I’m LinkThinks, or Matt. Whichever’s easier to you. Do I even need to say that I love Key’s work? It sort of feels like a given. I’m still mostly a newbie when it comes to VN’s, having read only a handful, but I really do love them.

Hopefully Rewrite fans will crawl out of the woodwork here, because I have a hard time finding 'em. I look forward to being a part of the community from now on, and hope we can all get along well.

My profile has a longer intro if people actually care enough to view it.

4 Likes