Harmonia General Discussion

So I wanted to answer @EisenKoubu’s question: What do you think of message behind Harmonia? That question can be interpreted many different ways, but I assume it means “What do you think is the meaning of Harmonia?” Before I answer this question though, we need to talk about parallel universes the four types of love. The types of love I will be talking about come from ancient greek. They are agape, philia, eros, and storge. Agape love is usually referred to as selfless love or charity. Philia love is usually referred to as brotherly love or the love equals and friends. Eros love is usually referred to as sexual love but also includes the act of falling in love. As expected, it is the love experienced between lovers. Finally, storge love is usually referred to as love between parent or parent-like figures and a child. So the real question now is, does a scuttlebug know love? If so, which type? And now for the main part of the post, I present to you, the meaning of Harmonia.

Many people like to experience Key because it induces emotion. I know I do. Harmonia, however, takes a different, yet “Key-like” approach to these emotions. That is, writing characters based on specific emotions. At first glance, Harmonia may seem like it is about the different emotions, but in reality, it is about the love that causes all emotions. In Harmonia, love is the most powerful force as it influences others’ ability to love, the discovery of emotions, and can change the world. Over the course of the novel, the main character, Rei, with the help of the phiroids, grows from an emotionless, powerless robot to a real human.

For the first half of Harmonia, Rei sees and experiences love of different forms from the people around him. Right from the beginning, Shiona finds him, a stranger, on the road and takes him in. Even though there are dangerous humans out there, she displays agape love by risking her life and the town, trusting that Rei is a good person. As it turns out, he is a good person and she grants him food, shelter, a name, and the song, all of which are forms of love. They are all things that Rei would not be able to obtain on his own, yet Shiona gave them to him expecting nothing in return. In chapter two, after Rei fixes the music box, Rei experiences eros love. This is in the form of the lewd hand holding scene. Rei received this love from Shiona “all night long.” Later in the same chapter, Rei notices that while Madd seems to hate his son, he still keeps the chip he sent him. This internal conflict embodies Madd’s storge love for his son. He still cares for his son, but he cannot see his son’s final message in order to know that his son still loves him back. He is scared that his son may have sent him the movie as to say, “look how much I can do when you aren’t in the way.” In chapter three, after Shiona and Rei perform in the town square, the Rei experiences philia love. This type comes from all the townspeople banding together to help Rei build the projector. This comes as a form of gratitude for performing the song for them. Then, Rei notices storge love, this time from Tipi’s story. Tipi’s parents showed her storge love in the form of books, information, and protection. During the happy times, she was showered in love as her parents always read her books. But at the end of those happy days, her parents’ final gift for her was protection. They knew they were going to be in grave danger and left her to live her life. Unfortunately, this love, while having good intentions, makes way for despair. From the start of Harmonia, Rei learns love from all the people he interacts with. Through Rei, it becomes clear that humans cannot give love if they have never received it, which becomes very relevant in the second half of Harmonia.

As Rei experiences different types of love, it becomes apparent that he can also spread love to others around him. As a result, he also learns the main emotions, joy, sadness, and anger. His first act of love is repairing Shiona’s music box. He does this because he understands the importance of what Shiona has given him. With this in mind, he overcomes his fear of Madd and shows his seriousness by apologizing for what seems like a long period of time. The power of Rei’s feelings show through and Madd then gives him the information he needs to find the broken clock and repair the music box. When Rei finishes fixing the music box, he discovers a new emotion, joy. More specifically, the joy of helping others. His second act of love is quite similar to the first: showing Madd his son’s movie. Like the first act, there was nothing for him to gain by fixing the projector, yet he did it with the intent to help others find joy. Again, he overcame Madd’s anger to borrow the chip. And again, he searched in the junk pile to find the projector. However, things change when the projector is completely broken and Rei has no tools. Because Rei and Shiona performed for them the previous day, the townspeople come and help Rei fix the projector. This demonstrates the unifying power of the eternal song. Later, Rei shows Madd the movie, but none of this could have been done without Rei first getting help from others. This second act helps him further understand joy, the type of joy derived from working with others towards a common goal. In chapter four, Rei’s third act of love occurs as a result of the interactions with the unknown man. When Rei finds the man, he goes out of his way to try to save him. While this may seem like a basic human function, it is important to remember that this is a cruel world where most humans care only for themselves. Because of that, helping the man on the road and attempting to save him is Rei’s third act of love. But it fails, and as a result, Rei discovers the second emotion, sadness. The fourth act of love is a bit different from the rest. While all the others may be considered agape love, the fourth one is more likely in the range of storge love. Since he first met Tipi, Rei has never broken a promise with her. This is especially valuable to her because of how her parents’ promise was broken, leaving her lonely for over two hundred years. In chapter five, he shows this love again by trying to protect Tipi as Shiona bluntly dashes her hopes. Rei’s paternal instincts kick in and he discovers the last emotion, anger. As the story progresses, Rei’s urge to help others leads him to his original goal of learning emotion and becoming human.

Love is the center of all things that make us human. Love comes in many forms: emotion, gifts, resolve, and more. In Harmonia, the most prevalent form of love is emotion. “Love was the origin of all emotions. Because of love, we feel happy when we interact with others. Because of love, we know what we want to protect and feel anger when it is hurt. Because of love, we feel sadness when we lose something important. Because of love… we can feel the same emotions, share them, and know enjoyment.” Yet, the other forms of love also make an appearance. Gifts can be a form of love, therefore, the knowledge Tipi gives to Rei is a form of love passed down from her parents. The eternal song that Shiona gives to Rei in the form of the music box is also love passed down from her brother. When Tipi and Shiona die, their final gift is the resolve to change the world. At the end of Harmonia, Rei finally understands love. He knows firsthand how even a robot can become human through emotions, and he knows that the eternal song can invoke happy and loving feelings in people. With the tablet and music box in tow, he now has knowledge and tools to make humans human again. Love has granted the power to bring about a harmonious world.

In the first half of Harmonia, Rei learns to love from the people around him. As he sees and experiences all four types of love, he can then reciprocate those feelings, granting him emotions. In the second half, he is given strength to change the world as parting gifts. Harmonia as a whole reveals the true power of love. Love is the origin of all emotion but no one can find love on their own. Humans need to receive love before they know how to pass it on. Rei is a representative of humans and as he learns love, he becomes able to change the world. Harmonia teaches that as humans we should never forget where our true power lies, for that is what makes us human.

When I first finished Harmonia, my thoughts were kinda scattered all over the place. After a week of mulling it over I finally organized my thoughts and figured out what Harmonia means to me personally. For me, Harmonia left me with the urge to get out into the world and explore the different types of love. It gave me the push to go and learn about myself. Immediately after finishing, I had the thought of, “I want to seek the powapowa feelings of other humans.” Simple stuff, like just holding hands or hugging another person. I want to feel those things. For the four hours I spent playing Harmonia, I was completely disconnected from the world. At the end, I had returned with a new outlook on life. The reason I thought this more than any of the other Key works I have experienced lies in the genius of the narrative. I was able to relate to Rei much easier than any other Key protagonist because he starts from zero, his name literally means zero. Because he is a clean slate, he learns everything from zero, so if I never learned something before, I’d be learning it with him. As @SuikaShoujo mentioned, Harmonia demonstrates growing up from childhood to adulthood. I felt very connected to Rei because sometimes I just feel like I am emotionless but I want to find those emotions. For example, I read all of the English localized Key works without ever crying. I have the feeling that I want to cry but I just don’t. But Harmonia taught me that it is ok to discover my feelings at my own pace and for that, I recognize Harmonia as my favorite Key visual novel. In my first impressions, I rated Harmonia at 9/10. Since then though, my feelings have changed. The amount of impact that Harmonia has had on me is just too great not to rate as 10/10. That is how much I love Harmonia.

20 Likes

Hmm, Harmonia. I don’t really know. It felt somewhat more average than the other Key-novels I have read up to this point. For one, it didn’t quite reach me on an emotional level, although I do see that that is of course not the only point or purpose of such a novel. However, kind of because of that, I can’t really do a thorough examination of the plot either, because it didn’t quite compell me to gush about it as much. So I’ll only put my thoughts that did come up while reading here. Those might be a bit disordered.

First of, about some of the twists of the story. The twist that at least several characters are Phiroids is one I saw coming around chapter 2. Tipi was just too young (looking) to know the library this good, this was the first thing that got me curious. Well, and the other character’s behaviour just strengthened my suspicion. Rei being human, however, I didn’t see coming.

Now, for the one thing I did think about, though, and I’d like that maybe addressed in the podcast as well, is the background-story of humans gradually forgetting how to love because of the Phiroids’ existence did seem to me as a jab at the tendency of some to not bother with real-live relationships but instead taking the “easy way out” in form of virtual girlfriends/boyfriends and what have you. So do you think this might be a critique toward computer programs emulating lovers? At the same time, this novel comes full-circle and reconstructs the same idea with its optimistic ending. Kind of a “This problem exists, but if it comes to the worst-case-scenario, we’re still able to again make the best of it and solve the problem without getting rid of the original cause of it”

2 Likes

I don’t think so. The part with Shiona trying to get close to Rei might suggest this, but that’s not really what the story as a whole focuses upon. I know there are books, movies and other such forms of media that touch upon this subject in much greater detail, but Harmonia doesn’t focus on the aspect of romantic love so much as the bond between friends, family and communities. It’s an idea Key has been running with probably as far back as AIR (maybe even Kanon), and Harmonia was probably written this way to safely appeal to fans of Key. If Nakamura was left alone to do the story, it might have turned out differently, but we don’t live in such a convenient parallel universe. :stuck_out_tongue:

Huh, several days later and there are new thoughts popping up. First off, my earlier post sounded more negative than it had to be. I think the disappointment of Harmonia not reaching the level of Planetarian, Clannad and Tomoyo After for me spoke through me there. So, to clarify, Harmonia is a good VN.

Now the thing I thought about: Several posts already made clear that a major theme of Harmonia is love and emotions. What I saw at several places in the novel was a background theme of change versus stagnation. So naturally, there are two things to show here. First I have to show how this theme of change versus stagnation is visible, and second, how this works in relation to love, the major theme.

So, where do I see change? Well, Rei’s struggles to resolve the problems of Madd and Tipi definitely is the force of change at work here, as after resolving these issues both of their situations change: They cease to work properly anymore. Even him helping that human brings change, as that is what leads the other humans to the village. Now isn’t that interesting? All these changes seem to be negative. I’ll come to that later. Now, that’s the change, but what about stagnation? Well, as ironic as it is, that comes in Shiona, as she tries to more or less actively stop Rei in helping those other two. I mean, everyone remembers the scene in the library, but even with Madd there were moments in which she tried to stop Rei. And while one might say that she did that in concern about Rei’s health, her words were more along the lines of “Give up.” and less along the lines of “Try again tomorrow.” There’s another big stagnation, but I’ll come to that later as well.

So now how does this stand in relation to love? Well, it’s simple, really. Love brings change. It’s through his love to Tipi and Madd that he wants to help them and therefore brings that change. It’s through his kindness that he wants to help that human and inevitably brings the other humans to the village, therefore changing everyone’s lives there. Now, I mentioned earlier that all those changes seem negative. But I ask you, are they really? Would it have been better to never resolve Madd’s and Tipi’s problems so that they could keep living? It might be bad answering my own question here, but I am of the opinion that this wouldn’t have been better. Sure, they’d be living, but they wouldn’t really be alive. They would have been kept in their stagnation of emotional baggage as they were in the beginning of the story. Madd still wouldn’t know if his son really liked him. Tipi would still wait for her parents alone, drawing a picture every day, crying. This would not change. Now the third one (which technically happens earlier, I know) is arguably the most negative. After all, it forces Rei and co. into hiding and brings a lot of Phiroids to slave labor. And yet it was important, as it showed Rei that humans have changed and stagnated (that’s the big one I mentioned last paragraph) in a state of emotionless animals. This then causes Rei to show these humans love and change them for the better. And we see that he succeeded in the Epilogue. So what is the bottom line here?

The bottom line is, or the messages I took with me are: “Love brings change.” and “This change, while it might be scary, is ultimately a good thing.” Especially the second of these sentences is the reason why I think the Epilogue is important. Would it be ambiguous, it might work, if we would have seen Rei ultimately failing, it would destroy that message, but as it is, it works best.

Huh, just two days ago, I did not see me writing such an analysis, but here I am, having written so many words. Guess that’s another proof that Harmonia is a good story that still brought me to think about several things.

8 Likes

I totally agree with what you said. I think it makes an easier question when rephrased as “Is it better to live a long depressing life or a short happy life?” While the answer is subjective, I would say that it is better to live a short happy life. Therefore, it is in Rei’s best interest to help Tipi and Madd accept the changes, even if it kills them.

Focusing on just the change vs stagnation aspect, you could also say that only change harbors a chance of improvement, but no guarantees, while stagnation will eventually bring about guaranteed deterioration.

All things are finite after all. Even for the long-living Phiroids.

3 Likes

Is that really a question: the novel answers it on its own with a resounding no. When Rei asks these questions, he barely flinches before making a decision. The epilogue also gives the phiroids a life with a complete emotional spectrum, so everything points at one answer.

I also think the point about “change” is little more than a coincidence. Yes, phiroids are conservative by nature rather than progressive, but them preserving pieces of humanity is clearly made to be a good thing in the novel. I think it’s practically impossible for a conventional story to promote conservatism, so most stories will encourage change and evolution (see Campbell’s monomyth). But when it’s so common, there’s no point in giving a story credit for having a peripheral progressive theme.

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of what you said in response to this question. It really establishes how indistinguishable Phiroids are from humans in this respect. Still, it does make me wonder if, for the purposes of this story, it makes the Phiroids too human. There seems to be a noticeable lack of artificiality in each of the Phiroid characters’ appearance and mannerisms. I’m pretty sure someone said before that there was a lack of rules regarding how Phiroids treated humans (i.e. Asimov’s Three Laws of Robotics). It makes me wonder if the story would have been any different if there was no concept of robots in it, if humanity wiped itself out through war and excess industry and Rei was simply an amnesiac kept in a cryotube in the hopes that he could become a second Adam. It could make for an interesting story, something Key has never done before, especially if Rei was given more time to develop.

But on to the question at hand, how I see it is that Shiona and Rei have very different beliefs on personal progression. Rei finds it a strong goal to help others because he seeks to feel strong emotions like the ‘humans’ around him would. Shiona only seeks to make others happy because she believes it’s what her brother would want, and it’s her duty as a Phiroid to maintain a certain level of happiness for when humans eventually inhabit the town. To put it more simply, if Shiona was the shepherd of the town, taking good care of the ninety-eight happy sheep, Rei is the kind of person who would leave the sheep to go search for the two lost lambs. Granted, Shiona would likely have brought them into the fold herself if she didn’t know about both Madd and Tipi’s malfunctioning. Still, like you said, if Shiona really was more concerned about the welfare of the town rather than her role of servitude to humans as a Phiroid or her own selfish desires, the town might have seen some change before Rei even showed up. If Shiona really ‘loved’ Rei, she would have understood that sacrifices have to be made for such a relationship to work.

(If this makes it sound like I hate Shiona, I apologize. There’s just a few things she does that angers me a bit, but I think there are far worse characters in the Key multiverse. XP )

4 Likes

I actually love Shiona because of that. It shows a very human quality, that being good intentions with a twisted result. Her intention to keep Tipi alive requires her to become the bad guy in chapter five and tell Tipi to “grow the hell up already” with a smiling face. I can only imagine the amount of suffering she would have incurred for having to do that. And then on top of that she has to mask that pain with a smiling face. That actually hurt me more than the fact that Tipi couldn’t understand the death of her parents.

Speaking of death, What do you think is the significance of earlier Phiroids being unable to understand death?

I feel like there might be something more to it than just “it causes Tipi to be basically forever sad,” but I cant really pin it down.

7 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve played Harmonia so my mind is a little hazy. I’ll try my best to answer some of the questions that were presented in bold when the time comes for the podcast.

I think the ending did feel kind of unrealistic because even though Rei was able to move forward and keep going in finding a way for humans and Phiroids to live together for knowing how long it took for the research he had from Tipi’s tablet and Shiona teaching him about emotions, he was able to gather the knowledge and found hope in that short amount of time. It was almost too simple though the struggles that Rei had came upon had reached up to that goal discovering the true possibility that it might have been possible.

Humans were created with the ability to think as free and moral agents. I come from a religion that basically teaches that God created us in his own image and we serve to exist through him that make us who we are. We are able to think, feel, and act on our emotions as well. We are also capable of expressing love to others and we also grow old and die too. It’s a touchy subject when it comes to acknowledging death because we have fears and doubts about ourselves that we wonder what happens to us afterwards.

When I think of Rei’s dream, his first meeting with Shiona was remarkable as he felt that she was truly angelic from his perspective and wanted to help her out. As you mentioned, he wanted to comfort her but because he thinks he is a robot, it was not possible for him and it made it feel like he was an outsider. This was something that Rei could not have done on his own provided that he had to learn eventually from Tipi to gain that knowledge in order for him to help the townspeople. There’s a lot of foreshadowing in the story that Rei had the potential but he needed to see for himself that he had others to help him progress.

As others have pointed out, I don’t think it would because as you mentioned that they would both be in a state of stagnation and never be able to grow. Madd would still be stubborn about not wanting to know his son’s accomplishments and Tipi would be still crying being left all alone in the library as she would not have been able to move forward with her life despite her circumstances as a second-generation Phiroid. It was really Rei’s decision that made him want to give of himself to help Madd and Tipi as Shiona had taught him those emotions and contribute in any way possible to make them both happy.

This is kind of a tough question. Seeing as Phiroids are not able to understand the eventuality of death would seem that it would feel like that they would never know about suffering and live on as everyone does. With Tipi being a second-generation Phiroid, the years she spent in the library always crying and never knowing that her parents would ever come back is truly heart-breaking. She would not be able to understand the realization that her living on is a cruel fate as Rei had mentioned to himself. It feels as though being bound by Asimov’s three laws of robotics that Tipi would be capable of protecting her own existence. Shiona was really looking out for Tipi though her words did seem cruel and why Shiona had told Rei to stop embracing her as it would eventually put her in a greater risk of stagnation and death.

I wanted to give my own further thoughts about Harmonia though I’m not as analytical as others. I might end up reading Harmonia again because it was a really enjoyable VN that I was able to learn what truly makes us humans, how we are capable of so many things in this world with our emotions, and teaching what it means to love ourselves and others.

2 Likes

Hm…this is a tougher nut to crack. My understanding is that Phiroid AI may just have been primitive enough at the time to act as a bridge between the logic-based computers of our time (as evidenced by Tipi’s immense knowledge stored in both the tablet database and the library in printed form) and the flawed emotional characteristics of humans (which is closer to what Shiona is). But even then, that still doesn’t make enough sense because even as a partially-logical being, Tipi could have still inferred that people stop moving after a certain amount of time or when their systems shut down. She would have then understood death as a natural, logical outcome of long life and excess damage, much like how robots stop working after a considerable age without cleanup or repair. She knew at least that she would cease to function after a while, so why didn’t she just logically infer that her parents’ long disappearance was the human equivalent of robots falling into disrepair? Okay, sure, she had no idea that they had truly died until Shiona told her, and she may not have had anything in her database that discussed the concept of death, but even then, she recognized that the guy who Rei took in had died! She likely had an idea of what death was before Shiona tried to explain that her parents were long dead! It doesn’t make any se-

There’s only one logical explanation I can think of for this confounding phenomena: Tipi was deliberately programmed NOT to understand death, and I can definitely see why that would be. Death is a painful thing for many individuals, especially for people who don’t have an explanation for why death has to happen or what happens to people after they die. Tipi was likely given none of that up front; she had to learn it on her own, and even then her programming only allowed her to understand so much, since her primary function was data storage. Perhaps it was later that the humans who developed such robots felt the need for them to understand what death was so that they would be better prepared to face it. As such, it felt unfair to Tipi because even if Shiona told her to grow up in that sense, it’s asking the impossible.

It’s only a theory, though. It’s a means of making sense of the authors’ expository goof-up, so I could just be pulling at straws here. I might be able to come up with something better after I get a good night’s rest. :confused:

5 Likes

I was thinking about the restriction of emotions in Madd and Tipi and thought of this. In chapter seven, Shiona states, “But we Phiroids have faults too. Like when something unbearably painful happens, and only a specific kind of emotion comes to the forefront… But that’s our last stand. If even that emotion was to vanish, we’d break… We’d die.” So this restricts Tipi to feel only sadness and Madd only anger… right? Well yes and no. There is a definite difference between the emotions we demonstrate outside, and what we feel inside. I wanted to point this out because then it is possible that Tipi is externally sad by crying all of the time, but when she says, “I don’t know why I am crying,” she could be happy on the inside because she is no longer lonely. Same thing with Madd, he may be externally angry but on the inside he is calm when talking to Shiona.

This gets even more confusing when you get into the psychology of feelings vs emotions. Apparently they aren’t the same thing but honestly, I don’t really get it. As a side note, because feelings and emotions are not the same, it is possible that we have been only talking about emotions but not explicitly feelings. Feelings are important to Harmonia too, as the subtitle is, “You taught me how important feelings are. There is an everlasting song.” Of course, this could be just a translation error because almost everyone uses emotion and feelings interchangeably anyways.

1 Like

I’ve been avoiding this topic like the plague, having not finished the VN, but now that I have, I can say for sure that I was highly satisfied by this. It’s a short and sweet story, with very likeable characters and, at the same time, complex characters (Shiona and her powapowa especially). I definitely can’t stress how great the visual presentation in this game is: from the textures of the sprites, to the shading in the backgrounds, and using it to highlight Shiona in the dark in chapter 4 was extremely well-done. Major plus points with Harmonia for using the Visual Novel medium to its utmost.

Another thing I’d like to mention before I continue is just how much I loved the setting of this world. Yes, it is post-apocalyptic, but we are left in a town devoid of electricity, and people are forced to use mechanical devices. But, at the same time, we know this advanced technology exists. Tie that in with the very RPG-esque BGMs (especially Oppidum and Cantus) gives the setting a very strange yet familiar feel. I think this VN has just beat Kanon as far as setting goes, in my list.

The story itself is fairly simple; Rei starts out with no emotions and slowly starts to learn all the popular emotions such as Red, Orange, Blue, Pink, and Powapowa. At that point (and for the first few chapters) it felt a bit corny. Most people already know these emotions, and showing how Rei learns these and helps make others happy was fairly shallow.

But what I believe to be the highlight of this visual novel was when they started showing more complex emotions: jealousy, fear, awkwardness, deceit (okay that’s not an emotion), and most importantly, love. At this point I had to hand it to Kai: he really knows how to make the readers feel all these uncomfortable emotions. In chapter 5 especially, there were multiple moments where you just felt “something isn’t right here” without the text having to tell you so. I can imagine many people being distraught over what happens at this point, but I loved every second of it.

Then comes in the assault, which really shouldn’t have been surprising, but took me unawares regardless. At this point of the game, I felt that the prose was quite gripping, and I couldn’t really put it down afterwards (except for small breaks here and there). We learn the truth about the town: which, frankly, was pretty obvious from the get-go, I thought. Regardless, it was nice how they used that reversal of roles, where humans are the ones that have remained emotionless, and phiroids are the ones preserving these emotions. There’s definitely something more deep we can analyze here, but I’ll save it for later.

And then everything just starts tumbling down. Tipi’s battery fails (and she becomes RIPi), Shiona starts to malfunction, and we get our heartwrenching death scenes… if it wasn’t for the fact that it wasn’t very heartwrenching. Perhaps there were too many death flags, or perhaps there was not enough time to bind the characters to their new environment, but despite all that, I think these deaths were necessary to push Rei to the next step: rebuilding the town and, by extension, the world. The ending is what got me, when Alice wakes up and sees the world, the town, and sings along with Dorothy.

They are no longer Shiona nor Tipi, but that’s perfectly fine: because the emotions conveyed by the outcome was perfectly natural. Sometimes, these emotions are even part of our instinct: feeling immense joy from seeing a beautiful world, feeling sadness from a somber song, and starting to cry out when we are happy. And I think that is the final message this novel wanted to give: some emotions don’t make sense, but we should cherish them nonetheless… Because that is what makes us human.

Now to respond to common comments as I read the rest of the topic :stuck_out_tongue:

• I did not feel, at any point, Madd being Esaka like. He felt more like a tsundere, than anything, whereas Esaka is a kind old man who has a tendency to shout.
  • The story does skip many integral parts, yes. Who is Rei? Where did Shiona come from? What about everyone else’s backstory?? But I think that doesn’t matter in the long run, because their stories are not the stories that Harmonia wants to tell.
  • Madd, Tipi, and Shiona representing the most basic of emotions was good, yes, as they show the best and worst side of these emotions. Being to angry will cause misunderstandings; being too sad will cause pity; being too happy will cause selfishness.
  • Shiona’s confrontation with Tipi did not make me feel angry: if anything, it was quite harrowing! Why was Shiona doing this? Was this really the way it should be done? Wasn’t Tipi wrong for clinging onto false hope? So much complicated emotions in me as this was happening and I enjoyed it.
  • Yeah, it kind of disappointed me when I learned that Shiona did not have any bad intentions. I think that’s one boundary Key will never really cross. But if they do, then I think that’d give them a push to explore a level of storytelling they wouldn’t be able to reach otherwise.
  • In response to @DangoDaikazoku (who I can never seem to agree with no matter the story), I think one thing to note is the vagueness of the ending is what justifies it. We don’t know whether or not the “Doctor” shown at the end of the story is Rei, we don’t know how many years have passed since then, and we don’t know whether or not the rest of the world was healed. It can be as idealistic as you want, or as realistic as you want it to be; which is why I value the vagueness of the ending.
9 Likes

Yeah, I’m probably a bit TOO stubborn sometimes. Though, on the off-chance you might have thought this, I’m not trying to be contrary :stuck_out_tongue:

If it helps, though, thanks to the many posts on here that have tried to elaborate the dramatic purpose of the ending (including yours), I find myself finally starting to warm up to it.

I can understand being disappointed in the motivation for Shiona’s actions. I imagine it would’ve been more nuanced had she simply believed her rough, tactless method was the best way to solve things. Still, I can forgive it because it’s a necessary kink that ultimately better serves the story’s narrative.

1 Like

Have you ever seen any quotes or stories that can be applied to Harmonia? A while back I read a quote by the Nobel Peace prize winner, Elie Wiesel who said, “The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference.” This makes a ton of sense in the context of Harmonia. As I wrote before, Harmonia is about love. It juxtaposes the phiroids’ love with the humans’ indifference. In chapter six, the humans are described as seeing the Phiroids as if they were only rocks on the road. It isn’t so much that they hate Phiroids, they just don’t acknowledge them as anything more than metal.

I don’t know if anyone else notices the specific rhetoric used but I really like stuff like the metaphor of Phiroids as rocks. The story also described humans as moving “with a mechanical sort of precision” and I think that parallel to how robots are usually described is really cool.

1 Like

I would like to explore something a little deeper that @cjlim2007 touched on briefly. I believe that Harmonia is a meta-commentary on bishoujo games and visual novels.

As most people probably know, Japan has one of the lowest birthrates in the world, with a quickly aging population. Not only is this a problem in Japan, but throughout the developed world, birthrates have largely fallen below the rate of replacement, leading to shrinking populations in the absence of immigration. The apocalypse of Harmonia is precisely this sort of apocalypse, not one caused by overcrowding, but social and economic collapse as birthrates fall to zero.

Otaku culture and NEET behavior have taken some of the blame for this. Rather than interacting with the culture and the economy, these people are staying home and investing more and more time in frivolous pursuits like anime and gaming. Harmonia’s backstory takes this to its logical extreme with Phiroids, robotic partners so advanced that there’s no real reason to risk real relationships. If NEETs are a growing portion of the population, then the release of Phiroids shows every man and woman essentially becoming a NEET.

Visual novels, especially bishoujo games, fill a similar role. They offer a safe simulacrum of emotions, without any real risk for the reader. Rather than pursuing real love with another person that might reject you, you can simply pull out your favorite game and follow a set of pre-programmed responses to get whatever ending you want. Just like how you can’t fail at love with a Phiroid, you can’t really fail in a visual novel. Moreover, Phiroids end up being emotionally one dimensional (Shiona mentions this as an unavoidable weakness). I believe this reflects that characters in visual novels, no matter how complex, will never be as deep and nuanced as a real human.

In the end, though, Harmonia is not entirely critical of Phiroids. While the Phiroids lead to the loss of emotion in humans, they still offer a way for humans to regain those emotions. For visual novels, I believe Key sees themselves in this role as redeemers. The stories that Key produces emphasize the importance of different kinds of connections, like childhood friends and family. Rather than replacing these bonds, Key seeks to celebrate and help their audience to appreciate them.

As readers of Key stories, I believe Harmonia encourages us to let their stories “die.” Rather than dwell on these stories and obsess over them, we should internalize the lessons they teach and apply them to our own lives. Naturally, as a member of this community devoted to dissecting Key’s VN’s, I’m not really going to let these stories go. But I do feel like this is a solid call to action to consider not just what these stories make us feel, but what they can teach us.

I had something else to say, but I didn’t want to double post. Harmonia fits the classic form of an allegory. Specifically, Madd, Shiona, and Tipi form a Freudian Trio representing the id, ego, and superego of Freudian psychology.

First off, I really think Harmonia is an allegory. As others have pointed out, Harmonia is a relatively straightforward story with flat characters, and it’s much shorter than other Key stories. All of those point toward this story being an allegory, a story where every single piece of the story stands as a metaphor for something else. While I’m not sure what the smaller details stand for (like the music box or the song), I do have a pretty strong feeling about the three primary characters that Rei interacts with.

In Freudian psychology the psyche is broken into three interconnected parts: the id, the ego, and the superego. The id is the subconscious mind motivated by base emotions. The superego is the analytical mind, strictly bound by rules. The ego stands between the two, mediating between the cold analysis of the superego and the uncontrolled id. I think Madd, Tipi and Shiona stand for these three parts of the psyche, and the story shows Rei gaining mastery over each of these sections of his own mind to become a whole person.

Madd seems obvious as the id. Not only is his primary emotion anger, the basest of all emotions, but we actually see Shiona directly mediating for him. Madd is incapable of being honest with himself of properly conveying his feelings. While you could say he is a tsundere, I believe this is better reflective of the fact that the id is subconscious, making itself known only through vague feelings, dreams, and other oblique means. Moreover, what Madd wants is actually self-destructive, another feature of the id.

Tipi would then be the superego. She knows so much information and is clearly analytical. Not only that, but she is bound by the promise she made to draw a picture every day, showing that she’s bound by rules and social expectations. I think this is further reflected by her being battery powered. Unlike more advanced Phiroids that can ingest food, Tipi is more like a traditional computer, powered only by electricity. I even feel like Tipi’s lack of understanding of death is appropriate for the superego. While she’s capable of making preparations for her own demise and understands it on a clinical level, the emotional understanding of death forever evades here.

Shiona would then be the ego. While most stories would have Rei as the ego, Shiona takes this place as she teaches Rei how to be a full person. Shiona is shown to understand both Tipi and Madd better than they understand themselves, and to be very realistic. Shiona understands the world that she’s in, she understands the perfect world that Tipi wishes for, she understands the hidden desires that Madd cannot voice, and she knows how to mediate between all of those things. In the end, Shiona is the one that reveals the truth of the world to Rei.

Throughout the story, Rei comes to incorporate each of these parts of his psyche into himself. Rei first experiences emotions like fear and anger with Madd, and shows his mastery of the id when he realizes that Madd really wants and provides it to her. Rei then shows his mastery over the superego when he takes over Tipi’s library and knowledge. Finally, once Shiona has entrusted Rei with her realistic history of the world, he shows his mastery of the ego by going out and self-actualizing his ideal world.

14 Likes

I haven’t tackled analyzing Towa no Hoshi e until now because I thought @HeliosAlpha covered most of it but there is more that I want to point out. First of all, as @Bacon41 said, the “Let’s return” probably means “Let’s return to the world in which humans knew love.” It is important to remember that in chapter four, the unknown man said that he knew the song Shiona sang and he himself used to sing it. Towa no Hoshi e is not a song that belongs to Shiona, her brother, and Rei, but rather the entire world. At first, I thought of it as a kind of theme song of the humans who still loved but I think more than anything, it’s a hymn. And with a hymn, there is also a religion. Since religion doesn’t necessarily require a god, this world’s religion could just be in the belief that all people (including Phiroids) should love each other. Hymns are also usually peaceful, so Towa no Hoshi e fits. The melody of the song itself is very peaceful, tying into the title, Harmonia. Now onto the actual lyrical analysis. Like Helios, I will be using Shiranehito’s translation because I don’t know Japanese.

The first four lines seem to take place after the song. It describes how a bird would see the Earth and then passing on the song to the next person, which would continue on for eternity.

The next eight lines describe the Earth from that same bird’s view. It is very peaceful in it’s description. The most important parts of this section are “A single breath of this planet.” and “Now, let’s return.” First of all, the melody of Towa no Hoshi e matches Halitus. As @BlackHayate02 noted, Halitus means breath, so we get a direct tie in there. The significance of this line combines with “Let’s return.” The fact that all of this peaceful, then tied up with “A single breath” shows how normal this view of the Earth should be, because a breath is something that is naturally and repeatedly occurring. Then “Let’s return” is saying that we should return to a world where daily life is described with this peaceful scenery.

The next four lines are harder to analyze. Parents talk to their children, the rain… is there…? Not really sure here. Then we have hope bringing about a new era.

The next eight lines are a bit easier. They describe how humans share their love through emotions, with joy, sorrow, the wounded fist probably representing as anger, and healing warmth which is a little different but nonetheless still love. And the fourth line is basically the singer saying to spread more love. The rest of the section details how love will continue no matter what, and that love is the ultimate force.

The next eight lines are basically the same as the first eight line section except for “Blazing life, the comings and goings of people” being replaced with “Blazing life, the raising of people.” I’m not sure about this change honestly.

Finally, the last two lines tell of how love will always follow life for as long as life exists. Then “Let’s return” again. That second to last line might seem kinda off seeing as the humans no longer know love but basically I see it as “there will always be some who still understand love.”

Basically, the song is saying that we’ve come to a point where the normal is not normal. We need to bring back harmony and love within all people. The eternal song is love. That’s why the world, when given time, can change back to normal in the epilogue.

2 Likes

Just finished this novel.

For some reason, I get a huge Kingdom Hearts vibe from this one. As the last numbered entry of that series is 11 years old, most of those spoilers will be unmarked and I’ll avoid them unless it’s needed.

One key theme of Kingdom Hearts is “What is a Heart”, in that series, Heart is an awesome concept that forms an existence/person (somebody), together with body and mind (memories). On first glance we can already know that Heart is not equal to one’s personality or memories in the traditional thing since that’s Mind, so heart should be something else.

While the initial game didn’t explain what a Heart exactly is (aside from the fact it’s Light), soon 358/2 Days made it clear by shifting our narrative to a “Nobody” called Roxas - he is in a blank state at the beginning of that story, not unlike our Rei here. It’s also his time spent with his caretaker/friends that allowed him to gain emotions such like joy, sadness and anger.

People are always arguing, both in-game or fandom, that if we can treat “Nobodies” as beings (one character in-game directly stating that they shouldn’t exist didn’t help) if they cannot experience emotion. Are those so-called emotions they express a result of they actually gaining emotions, or they’re just repeating something that is but a fragment of what they once was? The argument finally stops when in the newest story (KHDDD Spoilers)That indeed Nobodies could grow a Heart and gain real emotions from nothing from just being interacting and building connections with others and it’s implied that Heart is more like a connection, or in other ways, love than any other physical or corporeal matter. (Though in KH’s case, it’s more friendship love instead of romance).

Translate that into Harmonia’s case, the same argument still applies - We already know that Phiroids are man-made, artificial beings, yet they can display all kinds of emotions, but are those emotions just programs, being subconsciously drawn on and constantly applied to mimic the real deal?

The story telling of the first few chapters of Harmonia seems to disprove this theory. As we see the main character, supposedly a Phiroid, Learns emotions from Shiona, Madd, Tipi (in that order) quite naturally. (Shiona’s tendency by relating the emotions to colours could also helped as well, I almost thought she has synesthesia right before the reveal chapter) And his tears and nightmares all points to that he does have, or developed real emotions, (as KH’s Sora puts, “You must have a heart to cry.”).

Which is what makes the actual reveal so amazing. It turns out that Rei is actually a human with his emotions forgotten, and the people he adapted those emotions from are all Phiroids. In a way, this novel throws its prior statement out of the window by pointing out that yes, the Phiroids’ emotions are limited programs and if they didn’t cling to them, they’ll break. Returning to the KH Analogy, We are first led to believe that Rei was one of the Nobodies, but it turns out everyone else but Rei are the actual Nobodies. Which in reality, put the argument to another perspective.

Instead of “Are Phiroids capable of showing real emotions”, the question now becomes “What exactly decides if the emotions are real or programmed” because we can all admit those characters are more human given their actions and interactions. Especially Shiona’s actions in Chapter 5 when she is willing to go to the extremes to act towards her goal. Super Clever AI or real emotion? No one will know.
(Well, in a way you can say because Shiona is quite advanced so she does have super clever AI but still.)

What qualities make emotion real? Even if those emotions are a result of programs that need to be cling to, can we really call those fake if you can’t tell the difference? and if we can’t, to what extent did the line finally blur?

Also, Will humans cease to become human when they lost emotions? And if they do, since when? But the answer to that question is already given within the story.

Now, I’ve seen a lot of works that talks about Androids and how they can mimic human qualities, Blade Runner being the first one that came to mind. In those cases, they mainly talk about “Can they” while Harmonia is more towards “How can they”.

That’s why regarding the arguments to the post-credit Ending, I still find the ending quite necessary. Yes, the story can pull a planetarian and just end at the point Rei decide to rebuild humanity, there is nothing wrong with it. However, the post-credit ending really is the novel’s own answer to the above question. Thus is a necessary addition.

Case in point, Shiona’s song, which was passed down from her brother, is then passed to Rei, too all the townspeople and eventually to the entire rebuilt world. Time and damage may washed away Shiona’s memories, reduced her to a nearly blank stage, but the emotion behind the song is the real deal, as shown by her reactions upon hearing it. Echoing the tagline, “You taught me how important feelings are. There is an everlasting song.” While both the existence of Shiona and Rei gone, their connection, their Heart remains, IMO That’s the meaning of the post-credits scene - Emotions starts to hold meaning when connections are formed and pass down.

7 Likes

Harmonia review and analysis

Well well, here we are. After finishing the VN relatively late considering that I got it the day of release (thank you @Aspirety for that), I’ve been either busy or not in the mood to read it. So two weekends ago I finally decided to start it and I finished it on the following Monday night.

Sincerely, I don’t know where to start at. Well, to be honest, I know a couple of things that I want to mention, but going ham on them wouldn’t be wise. I’d like to develop my ideas little by little, so I’ll instead start off giving my general impressions, without overanalyzing things.

Harmonia is a short VN. In fact, it’s a Kinetic Novel, a KN, which means that we don’t get to choose some things for our protagonists. I normally expect KNs to have a better characterized main character to compensate for the lack of decision making. I felt a bit sad when I discovered that our main character had amnesia and that he had a pretty plain personality that stood that way during the whole VN. Even then, it wasn’t that bad. At this point, I think I should compare it to Planetarian. Planetarian was almost like a monologue full of metaphors and a solid message to be conveyed. It was, therefore, very well written, but it was a bit dense and difficult to fully enjoy by a casual reader. Harmonia, on the other side, I think that didn’t achieve the same level of profundity Planetarian did, but, on the other hand, it was a lot more pleasing to read. It wasn’t as dense. While the writing wasn’t the best ever, it seemed like the story kept flowing and, while some plot twists and situations seemed a bit forced at times, they never radically broke the pace established, so even without digging the surface of the KN, one could enjoy a nice and relaxing experience while discovering a decent story.

Long story short Harmonia was a nice read, but it didn’t have a message as powerful as I expected.

What did I think about the characters other than the protagonist? Well, they were flat, we can’t deny that, but that doesn’t mean that they were bad. Shiona was a greatly designed character for her purpose. She was a great example of the potential a robot could have. Also, she is always cheerful and gives that pleasant vibe that helps you keep reading.

Then we have Madd. I found him to be the typical tsundere early on. And he was the typical tsundere after all, only that in the end he also worked as a plot device or plot justification (call it as you wish) to demonstrate how when the last emotion of a Phiroid disappeared, it ceased to function.

And finally Tipi. A fucking strange character when you compare plot and personality. She’s completely sad at the beginning, sad in the middle part but, when raiders come to the town, she radically changes and doesn’t give a fuck about anything (well, she does, but don’t even compare to her previous self), about the people being “disposed of” even though she knew what death meant because she saw that man die and understood it, so fuck the plot, Tipi knew what death was about. Even if she didn’t know, I mean…

Insert @Eisenkoubu ’s error code here

So yeah, her development was weird and, in my opinion, very badly done just because it contradicted the plot, or at least made the whole “understanding death” affair a lot more difficult to grasp than it could have been.

However, she’s still my favorite character by far. And how’s that?, you might ask. The answer is simple, but also unusual. Voice acting. Just purely voice acting. It was greatly done. Her voice was on point and showed both how young she was (appearance-wise), how sad and insecure she felt.

And with this I think I’ve covered my first impressions, so it’s time to move onto something a bit more relevant. Let’s tackle the post credits scene.

I sincerely hoped that there was something to come after the credits, because otherwise it would have felt as if they were repeating the ending of another VN (name of the VN in spoiler tags. I can’t provide context, open at your own risk). Planetarian . So when I saw that there was indeed a post credits scene, I felt quite happy. Anyway, this happiness faded out as I saw that both Shiona and Tipi were alive (because I don’t like bringing characters back to live unless that greatly contributes to the meaning or a message). However, it wasn’t all that bad.

I think the ending, more than a conclusion to the story, was the writers’ answer to the topic that @Therationalpi brought up. Harmonia might be telling us that by escaping to these fictional universes and experiencing emotions in them through their characters might cause the ruin to society, but this doesn’t mean that we have to abandon them. The writers’ might want to say that living in a world that balances living both in real life and experiencing those fictional worlds is the best solution and the one we should aim for. In the final scene, we can see that human beings are learning emotions from the Phiroids (the fictional worlds), but at the same time, Phiroids are machines created by humans (writers, artists…). So Humans and Phiroids are both contributing to each others existence, and that’s what makes that utopia viable. It’s the retroaction. And that retroactive flow of emotional knowledge creates the Harmonia between Humans and Phiroids (fictional worlds created by humans).

Now I’d like to speak some words about love and @cjlim2007’s Greek love in Harmonia. To start off, what is love? Baby don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me no more. Is it just a emotion that ties people together to give birth to new life? Or is it something more. Personally, for me, love is an emotion that bonds people together, an emotion that creates an excuse to approach others and chat, and, thanks to that, exchange information. Here, Rei’s love towards Shiona allows him to learn about emotions, and it allows Shiona to learn first hand how humans can regain the emotions they used to have. If you think about it, my definition doesn’t fall under any category of the “Greek love” that CJ presented. However, that’s because I focus on the final utility of love. Those Greek definitions focus on between which people that attraction or urge to talk occurs rather than on what purpose it serves.

There are more purposes for love, however. As much as it allows us to access information from others, we feel an urge to protect that source of information, which means that we want to protect those who we love. Eros also naturally allows us to choose good partners that will be able to have and raise a child.

There’s much more I could end up saying about what purposes love serves, but overall, all of them seem to fulfill a single major role. It helps with human survival. And I think this is why there’s this concern about preserving love during the latter part of the VN. Love appears to be an essential key to human survival. And this idea is also, as brought up in the forum, linked to birthrates dropping down to zero, which is a serious event happening not only in Japan, but in many other countries too (although love isn’t the only culprit here, but now i’m deviating too much).

However, the way I really like to look at this love/survival concept is pretty different to the one brought up. I may have said that love is important to human survival, but what if humankind could find a workaround to survive without emotions?

During a good portion of the VN we see Phiroids as human. They are depicted as an ideal society that values feelings and looks after each other physically and emotionally. Then, the raiders come. They are regarded as assassins and people that don’t care for the life of a single individual. They are beings incapable of feeling that will do everything and anything for the group. What do I mean here? Pretty simple. Emotionless beings are depicted as bad and Emotion-capable beings are depicted as good. I’m not fond of that idea, since to me, both are different paths taken to that simple, yet important, problem: survival.

Darwin says (very generalized and plainly put) that life is the survival of the fittest, where the fittest is the species (or mutated part of a species) that is better adapted to the environment. When humans started loosing their emotions, prior to the spark that dynamited the current situation, there were 3 species of major concern: humans with emotions, humans without emotions and Phiroids. Yes, I said Phiroids. They are robots, but they adapt to their environment, they need to eat (or charge) to survive, and they reproduce with the help of humans (you could say that they are a bit like viruses in this aspect). However, I’ll regard them as human beings because even though they are coded, they have a surprisingly high freedom when it comes to making choices. The main thing being that they don’t seem to be restricted by Asimov’s laws, so they look more like cyborgs rather than robots.

So with these 3 species on the scene fighting or cooperating towards survival, let’s analyze the situation:

• Phiroids need humans to survive, and even if it wasn’t like that, they are coded so that they want to help humans and would even sacrifice themselves for them. However, the only humans that are willing to produce them are the humans with emotions, so you could say that Phiroids’ existence is linked to them. They know how feelings are (generally) and are able to convert some emotionless humans into humans with emotions.

• Humans with emotions don’t strictly need anyone to survive, but the environment is very harsh and they don’t have lots of information to help them establish towns and a well founded society. However, with the help of Phiroids, their chances are greatly improved. They can acquire information from them and their enhanced physical abilities are of great value. In exchange, humans with emotions would learn how to repair them and end up living in harmony with them. It would be a symbiosis.

• Emotionless humans are alone. They are antagonistic to both humans and Phiroids, but they still won’t hesitate to use Phiroids as highly efficient slaves. The fact that they are emotionless allows them to work exclusively for the group, allowing systems like communism to work as originally intended an leaving corruption aside. If I had to parallel them with a real life species, it would be with ants or bees. They all have their place in the group very clear, and they’ll work for the group. However, they won’t hesitate to sacrifice themselves for the most important members of the group.
    It’s true that they might have lost knowledge over time, and that they don’t know how to love, but this doesn’t mean that they are stupid. They will gather information from libraries and Phiroids as time progresses and will reproduce as a normal human would, even if the only purpose was to bring a new kid to the world to maintain their species going.

Seen this way, I can’t help but admit that emotionless humans aren’t that bad. They would be the ones with the best survival chances if you asked me. Humans with emotions and Phiroids are mainly pacifists so I wouldn’t be surprised if emotionless humans took over the world and ended up extinguishing humans with emotions.

So this is seen with a more or less objective perspective. However, I’m pretty sure that we all agree upon the fact that a world with Phiroids and humans with emotions would be funnier, but that is of course because we have emotions and having fun induces the emotion of joy or happiness right? Or perhaps it is because we’ve been shown more about how Phiroids are rather than the motivations and situation of emotionless humans. Anyway, the thing is that we shouldn’t wish for an emotionless world, since right now, advanced emotions, communication and intelligence is what defines us as humans.

Now that I’ve covered the main point I wanted to talk about, I’ll move on to other ambiguous, important, yet almost unnoticeable things: metaphors and message enhancing elements. However, keep in mind that these are my interpretations, I know by no means whether the writers wanted to convey the messages that come to my mind or not. Therefore, alternative explanations of the various metaphors are encouraged, so raise up your thoughts and talk your mind about them. I haven’t seen as much as I expected from you. :yum:

I’ll start off with one that seems to be the object that draws the most attention from all of you, the music box. First of all, what’s a music box? It’s a (originally) cubic object, with a handle, and a music-engraved dish or cylinder. When you turn the handle, music comes out, and music is what is really valuable. Without it, it would be a plain box. Here comes my interpretation. The music box symbolizes the human being. It’s got a normal exterior. It’s a body, it’s only purpose is to hold and to protect what’s inside. Then, it’s got the music. This would be the emotions, the soul of the human. All humans, “emotionless humans” too, would be this music box. This would mean that everyone is capable of having and showing emotions, and those who do, are the “humans with emotions”. This would also mean that people who “haven’t opened their box” are still able to learn how to do it. Once they do, they “open their music box” and learn about emotions. This would be the case of the main character, Rei. Furthermore, this interpretation leaves room for one more element: the handle. For a music box to function, someone must start moving the handle. That someone would be an emotion possessing being, be it another human or, in Rei’s case, Shiona, a Phiroid. This potentiates the message of emotions being a core element of the human being, and even if not visible, they’ll always be lingering there in a dormant state.

Next up is the tablet that Tipi had. More than far fetched a metaphor, I like to think about this is an element that makes emphasis in an already existing message. The tablet contains all the information that humans had been gathering during their entire story as a species. In those circumstances, all that knowledge might as well be the key to survival and restoring society as it once was. However, the guardians of this key are the Phiroids, who have all these knowledge stored in their electronic brains. And to access the tablet and all this knowledge, Phiroids are needed, thus indicating that humanity as once known will only persist if they cooperate and live in harmony with the Phiroids.

Finally we have the Plaza. Instead of a metaphor, this is a very important element for the story. Phiroids in the village are, in general, capable of feeling and expressing all emotions. However, without any human around, they seem to stay at their homes and nothing really happens, it’s almost as if the village was also hibernating waiting for a human to come. And one he comes, actually, nothing really happens. It’s only when Shiona and Rei go to the Plaza that the gears are set in motion. Everyone puts their emotions into use. They don’t just keep them to themselves, but they share them. The plaza is the hub that allows the plot to advance, connecting people together. This way, it could somehow be telling us that emotion-possessing beings, like humans or, in this case too, Phiroids, won’t get anything positive from their emotions unless they get interact with each other. And I’d like to link this back to the theory from @Therationalpi that I mentioned earlier, about how we should put into practice what we learn from VNs and not just keep it to ourselves.

At this point I think I’m done with plot related aspects of the VN, so I’ll finish by changing the topic to technical aspects such as graphics, sound, voice acting…

I already mentioned that I loved Tipi’s voice acting. It was just awesome, and when combined with the soundtrack Library, the effect of loneliness was incredibly deep. It’s almost as if the Library was a completely different world and just Tipi lived in it.

The rest of the voice acting was good too. If I had to highlight something else about it, I’d say that Shiona’s was good too, since it was very soft and sweet, but the a more darker tone emerged in those scenes in which Shiona’s true intentions weren’t as clear as they seemed.

A detail that many might not notice but that for me is of great importance is the effect used on character sprites. I don’t really know how to call it, but it was this effect that made it look as if the whole sprite was kind of an sketch, I hope you get what I mean. I found it to be very well used and gave all the characters a little something that made them look gorgeous.

Another thing I liked was the use of big chat boxes placed in different places. The usual long box placed on the bottom part of the screen can get repetitive after reading for a while, so I like seeing a variety in its placement. The right-click menu was also very stylish, so it made an overall clean and easy to read through interface.

About the music, I liked pretty much all of them, although perhaps not to the level of Tomoyo After (the instrumental tracks) or Little Busters! (the vocal tracks). Still, from the instrumental ones, I found some to be more of my liking than others. These are Pecado, Library and, my personal favorite by far, Tristitia. These three provoked a very deep sensation in me. In Library, it was the emotion of loneliness and isolation. In Pecado, it was the feeling of having lost something important. In Tristitia, it made me think that I was in the middle of some ancient ruins, as if I had just discover a hidden truth. Its sound is incredibly elaborate and the piano complements the voice perfectly. This track is up there with others like hope, A world is born or the piano version of Dango Daikazoku.

One major concern I had when I finished the VN was seeing how they had done something I couldn’t forgive. They changed the menu music. They changed my beloved Tristitia track which I could be listening too for hours before actually getting to read the VN…

Anyway, I’ll be waiting for them to release the OST and incorporate it to my iPod.

So this would be about it. Overall, I’d say that I enjoyed it, but coming from KEY, my expectations were really high and they weren’t met. However, Harmonia wasn’t far from meeting them. If I had to summarize my opinion in one (long) sentence, I’d say:

It was a nice read, with some decent themes and some plot related problems, but even though the VN had more potential to be developed, the amount of theories and messages that we can extract from such a short VN is so high that makes it worth.

I’ll give it a solid 4/5 overall. However, even though I liked it, it’ll still remain my least favourite KEY VN.

8 Likes

And here we have a pretty serious philosophical pickle. You are not wrong: humans without emotions are much efficient, can work much better in a team, and will have higher chances of survival than humans with emotions. However, despite not having emotions, humans still have beliefs. And when their beliefs are akin to that in the game, where destruction is fully justifiable, then I can’t help but see them destroying the world and destroying themselves without hesitation. That, in itself, kind of lends away from the “survival of the fittest” theory. Frankly, I think that theory only works with nature; as opposed to human beings who are rarely affected by nature, I’d say survival of the “fittest” is less of a thing.

same… Well, at least that’s what the music mode is for :yahaha:

2 Likes