General Visual Novel Topic

Me too! I just finished Fate on Tuesday. Now I have to decide whether I’m gonna read UBW first or wait and watch ufotable’s adaption first.

Yeah I was torally surprised finding out it was Ren’Py. Such a uniqe format!

Has anyone tried World End Economica? I just saw Episode 1 on Steam. A VN about economics sounds… weird, but this is the author of Spice and Wolf, so it just might work.

Funfact: They’re actually porting it over to Ren’Py for the western release. My guess is that this would actually take less effort than trying to force a Japanese engine into cooperating.

I don’t really like episodics or Steam, so I haven’t played it, but it’s pretty interesting that they are moving it over to Ren’Py.
Honestly, I thought the original was made in Ren’Py. The art style, the UI, and the title are all reminiscent of the Ren’Ai archives.

I always felt like it’d be an easy solution for dealing with translating a VN on a bad/awkward engine. Move over all the assets and paste in all of the text. The UI looks like a simple design, so it’d be easy to replicate.

So I just got my imported copy of Little Busters! Converted Edition on the PS3 in the mail. Hooray for an all-Japanese runthrough of LB!, the full version no less. At least it should better my comprehension, and since I already read most of it in English, it shouldn’t be too bad.

Have any of you ever read a visual novel entirely in Japanese?

1 Like

Oh hey, question. How do the CGs look on PS3? Were they remade for HD?
COUGHSomeonereallyshouldripthegraphicsfromtheps3versionCOUGH

Oh, excuse me.

2 Likes

I’m one of those poor souls who plays PS3 games on a non-HD TV (which has been eye strain a few times already) so I can’t really judge that. I’ll tell you if I get an HD TV though.

Hum hum, and how would one go about doing that?

Yeah, that’s basically all I read nowadays. Nothing against the great English translated VNs that I haven’t read yet, but I kind of enjoy the “unexplored territory” feel that a lot of Japanese VNs have nowadays. Also, if you’ve read the OP of this thread, I’m pretty sure none of the games I posted about have full translations, and only one has a partial iirc.

1 Like

There’s a lot of untranslated VNs that go unnoticed by VNTL’ers… One of the oldest offenders is To Heart

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but umm… you guys and can read japanese then, right? You dont just wander through the VN only sorta knowing whats going on, right?

. [quote=“AngelofDeath720, post:110, topic:108”]
Yeah, that’s basically all I read nowadays. Nothing against the great English translated VNs that I haven’t read yet, but I kind of enjoy the “unexplored territory” feel that a lot of Japanese VNs have nowadays. Also, if you’ve read the OP of this thread, I’m pretty sure none of the games I posted about have full translations, and only one has a partial iirc.
[/quote]
I’d been putting it off because i’m super lazy, but this guy ^ got me into it about a few weeks ago, and i’m preparing to tackle the monster that is my VN backlist now. Including the ones that i’ve REALLY been looking forward to, which i’m incredibly excited for

Wow that sounds like a horrible experience lol. More or less can read Japanese (for me). I can read Hiragana just fine, not so much Katakana, and definitely not Kanji, so I just use a thing that just gives me the romaji of what’s in the text box, and just go from that, nice and simple :). I just have to look up what a few words mean every now and then.
However, I haven’t tried tacking one of the really deep and higher vocabulary ones, as it just sounds like a horrifying idea to go into a VN that uses really high-level vocabulary. (Though i’m only on my second one read in Japanese, so it could happen in the future, and tbh, probably will)

[quote=“yerian98, post:112, topic:108, full:true”]
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but umm… you guys and can read japanese then, right?
[/quote]Yep. Though that doesn’t help much for games like Hapymaher, where I had no idea what the heck was going on regardless…

[quote=“AHikikomori, post:113, topic:108”]
tackle the monster that is my VN backlist now.
[/quote]HAH! hahahahahaha. funny stuff right there, funny stuff…

[quote=“AHikikomori, post:113, topic:108”]
I haven’t tried tacking one of the really deep and higher vocabulary ones, as it just sounds like a horrifying idea to go into a VN that uses really high-level vocabulary.
[/quote] I actually have a couple VNs that I started, but had to put on hold because my vocabulary was not good enough. Granted I could probably go back and understand them just fine now, its definitely something that you’ll run into at some point.

What would you say was the ‘easiest’, relatively, VN to read?

For those of us who don’t, there’s the option of using machine translations to read untranslated VNs. That’s what I’ve been doing with Little Busters EX.

Yeah but machine translations are messy and usually suck :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s better than no translation at all~

1 Like

Any Nukige. If you mean one that includes a storyline… then. out of the two i’ve actually read in japanese it would be Imouto no Okage de Motesugite Yabai, but that one was so simple that it was boring.

I already bought it, but have yet to play it. Thank you, Steam Sale, for making my wallet a little thinner everyday!

Pick a genre that you’ve played a lot of and/or really enjoy. Unless you’re trying to read Dies Irae or something the difficulty will more than likely not matter too much. Something like a slice of life or light moege is almost always a pretty good choice too (as @AHikikomori brought up with MoteYaba).

I was told Rumbling Hearts was aight. :T