General Visual Novel Topic

Haven’t yet played it, but it’s on my Wishlist. If LB! doesn’t come out for a while then I might get this to keep me occupied in the meantime.

I think I have it on Steam, but I haven’t played it.

Did anyone else see this? I’m soo excited for this, I loved this VN 10/10 must read. So close to being released on my birthday too just 1 day off.

2 Likes

I’m as hyped for it as you are :smiley: my personal favorite VN is actually getting an official localization!

I know right, this was one of my favorites to read.

Oh no, yet another VN to try and find money for!

All the money in the world can hold these VN’s. Little Busters Ex is probably going to be 50$, symphonic rain im going to guess around 40$. I spent soo much money on VN’s these past few years because of all the kick starters. My recent purchases were steins gate 0 and the new Grisaia phantom trigger collection. I probably spent a good 100-300$ on Vn’s

I’ve been playing The Fruit of Grisaia for the past 4 months, i’m almost finished with it too (only having to finish the Makina route).
Anyways all I really have to say about is that it’s a lot of fun, the pacing for some of the routes is too fast for my taste, but a lot of them end up being meaningful by the end. An aspect I really enjoy about the game is that each heroine feels really different, they’re all unique in the way that I don’t feel like there’s an “absolute” best girl (even though Michiru is probably my personal favorite). The narrative is kind of all over the place as well, but I like that form of loose storytelling it has in it, makes the drastic changes that occur in each route feel really meaningful during them.

Anyways that’s all I have to really add to the discussion, I plan to play Kanon and Air after I finish this, having already bought the physicals for them! I just wanted to share a small amount of what I’m currently playing at the moment!

Edit #1: I finished Grisaia and will be starting Kanon tomorrow!

2 Likes

Recently I`m reading Himegari Dungeon Meister, someone else here read it before?.

Now I am addicted to the opening :yahaha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzVaZ2VlGTk&t=4s

I’ve been reading “If My Heart Had Wings”, and finished the common and Kotori routes so far. I’ve found it a pleasant read although as is my way some of the “blossoming romance” sections too long and sugary (just my personal tastes here). I like the use of the Soaring Club and glider as a symbol of independence, growth and freedom - though I might be overthinking it a bit!

The common route is very long and I didn’t get the first choice until some 9 hours of (slowish) reading, I was surprised when the intro movie cut in as it was so far into the VN I’d forgotten we hadn’t had one yet! I quite like Kotori although she doesn’t stand out much to me as a character compared to others in other games, the route is a little heavy on melodrama.

Bear in mind, I’m playing the unpatched Steam version; initially I didn’t see many translation issues but as the VN went on there were more and more silly errors which look like sloppiness and a lack of quality checking rather than weak translation (not that I’d know). E.G. a female character being referred to as ‘she’ in one sentence then ‘he’ in the next! A bit minor but annoying. I really did not want to mess about with the Restoration patch though (don’t need H-Scenes), so my bad.

Will say more when I’ve completed all the routes, but for now I’d put this below CLANNAD and Steins;Gate but well above Grisaia in my ratings. I don’t think this will have a lasting resonance.

1 Like

Mfw that localozation was first released, everyone was salty over the removal of h-scenes but nobody cared about the blatant translation errors :nonono:

I’m going through Ageha’s route now, and it’s quite bizarre. I googled it to see if it was just me but it looks like it was largely rewritten for context because of the removal of the h-scenes. The translation and presentation of the story is (to me) odd. I guess this one really does benefit from the Restoration patch. It’s a bit unfortunate if that route is chosen first ahead of Kotori.

EDIT: I ended up skipping most of Ageha’s route in the end as it got too painful, nonetheless I think I did get the gist of what was going on but 10+ hours of it was too much for me. Trouble for me is that the glider story seems to be pushed back far too much - but saying that it does add a little to Ageha and Aoi’s back story if you chose or landed on Kotori’s route first.

EDIT #2
Asa & Yoru - could be considered a minor spoiler so identical twins and I found it a bit hard not to draw some parallels with the Ryou/Kyou love triangle this is quite a fun route though it doesn’t really add much to the overall story. There is a combination of the routes up to a point, we do go through some of the usual tropes, e.g. Polar Opposite Twins, Different as Night and Day, and I don’t know if the h-scenes go full on Twin Threesome Fantasy but it seems from hints on the Steam version it might end up that way!

I was playing If My Heart Had Wings too but I sort of chickened out in hopes of that other TL coming out but it seems to be talking awhile. I think I was towards the end of common. Unfortunately my memory isn’t that great so if I stall on it too much I might forget too much. It sounds like it is pretty damn close now though. I probably should of just played it, but now that I’ve been waiting for 2 years it would feel a little silly to just pick it up again. But idk maybe I will just pick it up again, then I can just do Ageha’s when the other patch comes out. I don’t think I am too picky when it comes to TL and QC so it might be okay…

@Mow - I know when you stop or have to stop playing a game it’s hard to get the motivation to pick it up again but I hope that you can someday.

Completed Amane’s route so now finished the VN, and this one was was my favourite, it does a very nice job of completing the circle in terms of the story and we also get an insight into the VNs antagonist who was rather one dimensional villain until this route.

There is no “True ending” as such but for my part, Kotori (which has to be completed to open certain other routes) and Amane are the essential routes with the others more optional and Amane is best saved to last as it comes the closest IMO to a true ending.

Being still new to VNs I’m still feeling my way and as a n00b to this forum I have to point out I still find the teen romance elements for the most part a little dull - it takes I think some special story writing to engage my interest in the way that Tomoya/Nagisa and Steins;Gate spoiler Okabe and Kurisu, which helps to add such a cruel dilemma to the story and I did as usual find some parts of the routes went on too long.

I spent a fair time on MS Flight simulator in my past so I appreciated the inclusion of aerodynamics as I felt this helps the reader believe that High School students could achieve what they manage here. I understand that slight spoiler Gliders riding the Morning Glory really is a thing in Australia where the phenomenon is predictable.

It’s a pity that Ageha’s route seems to have been messed up in the Steam version ( bearing in mind I know nothing of the Japanese or Restoration versions) and that is the only downer objectively but it’s up to each prospective reader to decide if they want the full on eroge I guess.

It actually took me over 50 hours to complete all the routes, and as this is a lowish/mid price game on Steam, it’s good value. I’d definitely recommend it.

Now I was hoping we’d have news of LB! on Steam by now, but looks like I need to find another game or VN in the interim!

2 Likes

Is it worth the extra money ( twice the cost on Steam ) to get the voiced as opposed to unvoiced version? Unvoiced is £15 but the one with VA is £30!

I don’t remember voices being remarkable in the VN (though audio is a big thing in the game) but I get very bored when dialogue has no sound to it. It is a very long VN after all. You will lose a bit of the comedy and sadness from big scenes, but that’s expected.

Hmm, a tricky choice then. I do find that good VA really adds to a VN even though I can’t understand the language beyond the occasional word or phrase. Perhaps I’ll wait and see if it goes on a sale.

Other than Maou’s voice acting… it’s not really worth it imo. (some of the characters sound annoying tbh).
Comedy requires some knowledge in Japanese, but as Takafumi said not having the voices might make the VN less enjoyable since the dialogs are a big part of the story.
But seriously, why do you have to pay double the price for the voiced version :naze:

Licensing is rough. To be honest, the voiced price is what I’d expect to pay for such a VN. Having the ability to get a super cheap version of it is pretty great, and more VNs should do it.

Voices are a part of a VN. I wanted to start reading Higurashi, but couldn’t get motivated to continue once I had realized it’s unvoiced.

In G-Senjou’s case, there are at least three characters whose voices add more to the game: Maou, Gonzou and Haru. On the other hand, there was that one kid (Hiroaki, Tsubaki’s kid brother) whose voice seemed unbearable, and I actually consider myself to have a pretty high tolerance in terms of voices…

I’d say it’s worth paying double, and maybe there’ll be a good offer on the summer sale.