General Visual Novel Topic

@Takafumi @yerian98 @Pepe Got you all covered~ Feel free to continue discussion here. <3

To anyone confused by something not making sense in the 3 posts above- I just moved them here from somewhere else. ^^

1 Like

I moved 7 posts to an existing topic: Ask a Key fan!

Actually, this is something I still wonder. It’s been a while since I played it (2009 or 2010-ish) but my memories of the game are a bit different to my friend’s who played it in 2012.
I had a pirated copy (I’ll buy it one day to make up for 11year old Taka’s mistakes!) and it started off normally. Nothing was unlocked… but I had free reign to enter any route I wanted to enter. I followed the in-game decision tree (something my friend said didn’t exist) to gather up all the little Tiger stamp things, and then finished the ending of HF.

I’m not sure if it was a special patch or something, but I’d like to find it again for when I get a copy of the VN. The anime will hopefully hype me up enough~

I can’t think of a single multi-route VN I’ve read that didn’t have at least one sub-par route~

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa… you were 11 when you played Heaven’s Feel?

[quote=“Takafumi, post:17, topic:423”]
I followed the in-game decision tree
[/quote]One of the old mirror moon patches might have had that in-game without having to unlock it, but the most recent patches require you to finish the game to get it.

If that is true, then you might have been able to bypass the flags to get to HF without playing Fate and UBW first.

I’d already been spoiled about everything important, so I figured I’d catch all the little things before they get spoiled too~

Ah, okay. That explains that then~ Seems like a pointless feature after completing the game though…

I’m not sure if it makes me jealous or troubled that you’ve had exposure to the medium from such a young age

Its to do the same thing you used it for, get all the Tiger Dojo endings. By finish the game I mean get the 1 Fate ending, the 2 UBW endings, and the 2 HF endings.

It’s probably better to read it at an older age though… I mean, I probably didn’t appreciate some of the stuff in that VN, but if I go back to it I’ll remember everything and get bored because I know what happens ;~; I don’t think it’s particularly troubling either…

Ah, okay~ The Tiger Dojos were the best part~! The best two characters breaking the 4th wall~

Ah, I just meant that, as you know, most VNs are adult games. I certainly remember how you feel about that kind of content, so… but yeah, mostly just jealous that you’ve been a fan for so much longer than me.

Hmm… maybe the age that I saw that stuff is one of the reasons why I feel that way~ Who knows?

Oh, that’s definitely not something to be jealous of. Time has nothing to do with being a fan~ We all like similar things. I lost all my merch last year and haven’t bothered buying a single thing since, so I’m not a very supportive fan. Actually, I wouldn’t even call my self a fan~ :stuck_out_tongue:
Honestly, I got burnt out on anime and VN stuff really early on. It feels more like something I have to do to keep up expectations, than something that’s entertaining. I’m reeeaaally cynical (and probably arrogant) when it comes to anime/LNs/VNs now. Like one of those kids who believe the first 151 Pokemon will always be the best~ (Love all the bad anime and VNs from the mid 2000s. Mostly hate all of the anime and VNs released after 2011.)
I’ve probably missed out on most of the gems, and probably wont be able to summon up the effort to sit through them…

It all started with reading Ace Attorney. Couple years later, loneliness succumbed to me and Katawa Shoujo saved me. Ever since I’ve been hooked!

Just finished/ 100% Steins;Gate a little bit ago. Any (good) story involving time travel will get a 10/10 from me, but with all the “thriller” elements and the sciencey stuff I want to give it an 11/10. I saw the anime first, but reading all the different character’s endings was amazing. Ruka’s end was the best, next to the true end. TRAPS FTW!

Also “A Drug That Makes You Dream” was amazing. Now, I don’t mind H scenes all too much, but DAMN. soooo much H…

I’ll stop here before I go on forever.

Read Virtue’s Last Reward? Would recommend.

2 Likes

OHH thats a zero escape! I started to read 999 but never finished it. Do you have to read 999 to read VLR?

Not exactly, but I still recommend it. Reading VLR will spoil aspects of 999 for you, and you’ll appreciate aspects of VLR more having read 999. So for the best experience, I recommend reading 999 first. It’s also excellent. They’re both amazing sci-fi visual novels that do really creative things with the medium.

1 Like

I totally love both 999 and VLR, and really respect Kotarou Uchikoshi as a writer. Probably my favorite writer along with Jun Maeda.

I remember when 999 first came out. A few months before, I just got a DS Lite for the first time, and saw that news on siliconera and saw…

Visual Novel type game on the DS
Kotarou Uchikoshi, who wrote Ever17 as the scenario writer
Shinji Hosoe, who makes a bunch of songs on various music games, as the OST composer

I swear, my hype levels were through the roof that day.

Not sure if you’re willing to play otome games, but Hakuoki 3D: Memories of the Shinsengumi is pretty decent as far as story goes :slight_smile:

おハロ!I’d like to say that I have been around the VN community for a long time… am very experienced with it, and have ready many to this day. But my total list of actual completed VN’s numbers at around 10 (not including the small super lewd or very focused -sono hanabira- ones, which bring the list up to roughly 20).

My favorite VN overall that i’ve read is probably either Saya no Uta or G-Senjou no Maou, though if I HAD to pick one or the other, I would probably say the former.

The VN I am currently playing (and enjoying incredibly) is Clover Day’s.

And the one i’m looking forward to reading the most is by Cube, called Your Diary (been hyped for this one for longer than i’d like to mention) which the art happens to be done by my favorite artist of basically ever.

I’ve never actually read any of the Key VN’s, but have watched basically all of the anime for them, and to be honest will likely not ever do so, simply because of my bias towards art styles when choosing which ones to read. In my opinion the stories are somewhat decent for them, but at the same time hard to follow and not enough to keep me interested completely. Not to mention I basically was suffering through the entirety of the second season of the first Key series I watched (and was one of my first anime ever), Clannad, due to the sheer hatred and disgust I feel towards Nagisa on an incredibly personal level. But I very much enjoy being able to talk about and share my experiences with VN’s as a whole with people.

Ooh, that’s the one Kantoku did the art for, right? I love that guy’s art, so much that I’d probably watch Boku no Pico if he’d done the character designs for it~

1 Like

Indeed, Kantoku is like the best. I would definitely do the same :slight_smile:

G-Senjou is in my top three! Didn’t really like Saya no Uta though~

It’s nice to see more Nagisa haters. Weak girl makes for weak story! Akio and Ushio were great though.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering if I should go and read Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two. I heard it’s quite superior to the anime, which I really liked, so I’m inclined to read it, but I’d like a second opinion.