General Visual Novel Topic

http://secret.aquaplus.jp/

This is a good week for VNs.

I broke my pickax from clicking too fast… :confused:

Speaking of good weeks for VNs though, I have 3 VNs that I want to play next month(Kami no Rhapsody, Chrono Clock and Sorcery Jokers), and they all come out on the same day. Granted, Kami no Rhapsody will probably take up 150% of my spare time for a couple weeks after it comes out, I still plan to play all of them at some point.

Utawarerumono 2 pls. THAT’S CLEARLY A BONE MASK!

Anyone else hear about Anonymous;Code?

https://forums.hummingbird.me/t/steins-gate-creator-unveils-new-science-visual-novel-anonymous-code/23289

it HAS to be, TTT2 is done, Utawa is re-airing right now without a doubt to build anticipation for the second game. I really jsut hope this doesn’t turn into an announcement of an announcement at the end of the anime.

He’s really pumping out the work lately, I do hope nothing suffers from it and becomes like his R;N. Still looking forward to it.

Have you never read a route that you really liked despite not liking the heroine?

Lucia route. Second least favorite character going into the route - favorite route of the VN.

I think that’s very rare though. I either like the heroine, so I like the route, or I dislike the heroine, so I skip the route. If a character is just meh, I’ll sit through the route for as long as it feels worthwhile, but it rarely ends on a positive note.
A lot of the VNs I’ve read don’t really have heroine routes, so they all get disqualified immediately… It’s been a long time since I last read a VN too, at least a year, so I’m probably forgetting a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

Tsubaki’s route from G-Senjou was a surprisingly fun read - all of the routes were.
Similarly, the only Sharin no Kuni character I liked was Ririko, but Natsumi and Sachi had good routes.
I’m not sure if Hisoka from Coμ counts. She was my favorite, but there were definitely times where I had to remind myself that~ It’s a definite for Mayu-Mayu though. Wasn’t expecting anything from her route, but it was fun.
I didn’t like Rimu at the start of Deardrops, and there really wasn’t anything that good about the VN, but I had a more positive outlook of her character by the end of the route.
I remember not liking Kudou in Da Capo, but god I spent a lot of time trying to get that route. It’s been so long I don’t even remember most of Da Capo outside of Kotori, Alice, Yoriko and Izumiko’s basic plotlines, so I don’t know if it was worth… but I spent a lot of time on it. (Nemu worst VN character ever?)
Anzu in DCII counts as well. Probably my favorite route - the most memorable at least. No pun intended.
Also foggy memories, but I remember the cast of Kazoku Keikaku taking time for me to like them.
Haruka in Litbus had a good route.
Disliked all of the main ShiniKiss characters at first, but I remember liking two of them by the end of it (that VN was a draaaag.)
Akira in Yosuga no Sora was a bundle of fun, but I hate those types of characters. The route was a bundle of fun though. (Nao worst VN character ever?.)
Everyone in The Second Reproduction. I think it’s supposed to be that way though >.> It certainly knew it’s target audience.
Nekoko and Aeka from Yume Miru Kusuri IIRC. Another oldie buried behind memories~ Didn’t like the characters but boy those routes were… something. I only really remember the endings, but they were (terribly?) good endings.
I’d say some Cross Channel characters, but I don’t even remember which parts were from which routes. Most of my joy in that VN involved the misery of characters I disliked… Haven’t happily clicked choices like that since KOTOR, but you gotta stick with Youko man.
Kana ~Imouto~ comes to mind. I wish I could talk about that but… I don’t remember a single thing about it, apart from IIRC it had a flashback with choices… which irritated me slightly.

1 Like

I know a lot of people are going to want to kill me for saying this, but Lucia is probably my second least favorite heroine of all time. that said though, her route was damn good. or at least the first half of it was. it kinda fell off towards the end; but it started off insanely well.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:307, topic:108”]
Disliked all of the main ShiniKiss characters at first, but I remember liking two of them by the end of it (that VN was a draaaag.)
[/quote]dude, I was actually pretty interested in it when I started, but I have to agree. it was not that great.

Haruka in Litbus had a good route.
[/quote]yet another thing I bet people will hate me for. Loved Haruka’s character, hated her route… still don’t quite understand that one myself though.

Nao worst VN character ever?.
[/quote]once again you and I find the weirdest things to agree on. Nao is the only heroine I hate more than Lucia.

[quote=“sillylittlemelody, post:306, topic:108”]
Have you never read a route that you really liked despite not liking the heroine?
[/quote]I once read a route where the heroine was my favorite character going in, then my least favorite when I found out more about her, then my favorite again once she started playing the harp, but then she dropped a couple slots again once she started playing chess with the protagonist. Oddly enough, her maid was my favorite character by the end, but that whole time it was my favorite route. (props x 1000 if someone can actually guess who I’m talking about)

We have very different opinions. Lucia is my all time favorite heroine, she’s the one that completely stole my heart. Until now, I haven’t found any other girl who could do this. The closest ones would be Asuna from SAO, Yoru from IMHHW and Yukinon from Oregairu. But they are still very far from Lucia.

very different indeed. All of the names listed are on the lower end of my list; except for Yoru, but I haven’t played Konosora yet.

But at least I agree with you regarding Haruka’s route in LB! It was also the one I least like (the drama felt forced for me). But I also didn’t like Haruka (I hate outgoing, playful girls. And also onee-chans, senpais or girls that tease you. And also, forgot to mention this, childhood friends that are with the protag since the childhood usually have a boring relationship with him, since the two of them already know each other and for a long time)

That was the charm of it. The drama was forced, and a bit stressful, but not to NagiAsu levels, so it was enjoyable.

Wow, you hate more stuff than I do… o.o

I enjoyed NagiAsu far more than it, and the drama didn’t feel forced for me. They were teenagers with feelings and dramas a teen normally deal with.

What kind of girls do you hate?

I generally like outgoing and playful girls, but I can agree on everything else. Granted, I have found that I can very much enjoy a few of those characters when done properly, but for the most part I hate them too.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:312, topic:108”]
The drama was forced, and a bit stressful, but not to NagiAsu levels, so it was enjoyable.
[/quote]wait… did you not like NagiAsu? I for some reason thought that you did. huh. I wonder how I got that.

1 Like

The drama felt more forced that a bi-weekly k-drama for middle aged wives, and I should know, I’ve watched a lot of those.

The ones I don’t like. Specific traits rarely have anything to do with it. Some people you just like, others you just don’t.

My thoughts after it ended were: I wish I could give this 11/10, but I can’t, so I’ll give it an 8/10.
I enjoyed it a lot, despite it’s problems, and if Tari Tari and Shirobako didn’t exist, NagiAsu would be the best P.A. Works anime IMO.

1 Like

oh ok, so then I was remembering correctly.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:315, topic:108”]
The ones I don’t like. Specific traits rarely have anything to do with it. Some people you just like, others you just don’t.
[/quote] you know, this is probably the most wishy washy statement about preferences I’ve heard in a long while, but I’ll be damned if I don’t agree with it.

Ahaha, it’s hard to not be wishy-washy about that kind of stuff. Too many exceptions and unknowns to just blame something on an archetype.

If you looked at my top 30 anime characters list, there’d be at least one personality of every category. There’s Tsunderes, antisocial characters, reverse traps, royals, food-addicts, slow talkers, sport fanatics, bubbly characters, fashion fiends, shy people, club presidents, otakus, book lovers, onee-samas, airheads, yanderes, detectives, heroes, slaves, singers, models… the list goes on and on.

I’m all for disliking a certain character, but I can’t say I hate a whole category of characters~

2 Likes

Oooh, Anonymous;Code has my interest. Sounds crazy interesting.

1 Like

Gonna start reading the Zero Escape (999 and VLR) series very soon. I hope they live up to their reputation^^ It’s written by the same guy who did Ever17 or something like that, isn’t it?

2 Likes

It is! And they’re both really fun, as escape games and as visual novels