General Manga Discussion

I caught a few episodes of the anime when it was airing and decided that

1. It’s like if Fushigi Yuugi held up/was good
  2. This anime does not have anywhere near enough episodes to do anything with this set up

So I started picking up the manga when Viz started releasing it in the US. I am still pretty early on, but the manga is indeed really enjoyable so far.

1 Like

The author does a fantastic job of balancing Yona’s cuteness with this incredibly hot, majestic presence. The fact that she’s voiced by objectively best girl Kotorin just makes me love her even more.

Iris Zero has been back from hiatus for a while now (I believe those who like manga should check it out, it’s one of my favorites).

Also, I read a terrific manga last year. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Has anyone heard about it?

1 Like

oh hey, I like Iris Zero too!
I kinda forgot until what chapter I have read tho…

The heroines are lovely ><

^ THIS
I really loving the latest chapter
I feel a great satisfaction when they finally going out, I mean every time they were going to confess, distraction will always cancel it hahaha
Gin no Saji comedy is superb btw

3 Likes

Made in Abyss is a pretty good dark, bloody manga. There was an anime adaptation recently but I’d recommend the manga, especially since the anime ends pretty early on in its story. Problem is, the mangaka has a very relaxed updating schedule.

While I’m mentioning manga I’ve liked, Taiyou no Ie and Dengeki Daisy are nice lighter reads.

A manga I like is Tomodachi game but I dont neccesarily need an anime adaptation or something. It is a story about money and friends and the question which of the two is more important and then they play games to test their friendship and stuff blablabla. I think not very much people know about it so I just want to point it out cause I really like the MC. He seems very kind and stuff but also has a dark side. It was some time ago I last read it (still not finished though) so maybe some things I wrote arent totally right but you just have to check it out yourself!
Also a link to make it easier for you guys :wink:

I’m ways into Part 5 of Jojo right now! Two of my close friends are huge fans and have been hyping me into it over the last several months. Part 4 has probably been my favourite so far. :blush:

Does anyone here read Gakkou Gurashi? It’s on hiatus at the moment. Looking forward to seeing what Chapter 59 has in store considering THINGS…

If you’ve watched the anime before and enjoyed it you should consider picking it up! You’ll notice quite a few differences in the first two volumes.

Heck yeah! It’s been way up high on my to-read list for a good while. I’ll have to find the time to sit down and get through the first volume.

I watched this music video someone made using clips from the OVA. Really soothing.

Wow, I didn’t even notice someone mention YKK. It’s the one Iyashikei that I get. Like if I was to make a story, I’d probably just end up with YKK. It’s like Aria, but at the point where the world is so over that nothing matters anymore.

Edit: Also wow, that AMV is really hi def. I’ve only ever seen VHS rips, but it’s even more beautiful in HD.

1 Like

A little while ago I bought the Omnibus version of Azumanga Daioh. So far, I’m thoroughly enjoying it. Would anyone like to share their thoughts on the series and Omnibus books in general?

1 Like

My thoughts on Azumanga Daioh aren’t going to be very useful, but in general it is supposed to be one of the best iyashikei and comedy anime ever made (if not one of the early ones as well). However, the manga itself is supposedly 4-koma style and still has a ton of charm (on top of seeming to get a lot of praise) but that needs to be confirmed by someone other than me. This series is worth at least a look for many anime and manga readers.

As for Omnibus books, I really like them. It is a little bit harder to read when owning a physical copy, but sometimes the omnibus books are either larger then the original volumes or contain additional content. :happy:

It also helps that they are cheaper to buy and may have slightly better translations (although the opposite can be true). The price of omnibus books digitally compared to buying the 2 or 3 volumes separately pretty much can’t be beat either, and some websites just seem to have better sales on their 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 books than they do for individual volumes too.

2 Likes

It’s been a while, but there is a great sale on some digital manga on, at the very least, Amazon US and BookWalker (which is having a 30% coin boost to go with it). This includes:

5 Centimeters Per Second
Garden of Words
She and Her Cat
Voices of a Distant Star

Hopefully this helps someone else. :happy:

1 Like

Never too much Makoto Shinkai.

On the weekend I read a webtoon called Koi Inu. It’s a comedy romance drama and I loved it so much that I caught up to the over 100 translated chapters in like 2 days. It’s so damn cute cuz it has a reasonable plot and progression and it features legitimate feeling dating life. I like the stuff where it keeps going after two people decide to go out and when the story shows the perspectives of characters, especially in their disagreements and fights. So, Koi Inu was really cute and perfect for me.

Hah just kidding me from 27 days ago. I found the perfect manga for me. My friend recommended a manga called My Girl by Sahara Mizu and oh boy this is some gooooooooddd stuff. It features a father daughter pair as the main characters which if you know my favorite Key characters, you would know that I love this kind of thing. Anyways, I finished the manga hella fast and now I’m sad because I can’t fill a certain void in my heart.

1 Like

My MAL

At this point, all I’ve been reading recently are fantasy, transported to another world-themed manga. Well, it’s more like I read the web novel first and then I come across news that a manga has started adapting the web novel, so I end up reading the manga too. I have a pretty damn long list, so I want to throw it out there that I can always help with recommendations in that area if anyone needs it.

Outside the reincarnation/transported-to-another-world trope, Here are some unique ones I want to share tho:

-> Bokura no Kiseki is one of the more recent I’ve read. It’s about a group of students remembering their past lives, which were all from the same time of war and strife. It’s pretty tense and everyone works hard to hide their identities since who knows who has a past life of a friend or foe. :naze:

-> Shishunki Bitter Change is a gender-bender where a boy and girl which bodies when they were young, and now they are stuck as-is. The time progression flows by really quickly, so it shows a lot of perspectives about various things and makes you hurt from childhood to high school. :uee:

:happy:

1 Like

I just want to add that Humble Bundle has one of the best manga bundles that I have ever seen going on right now.

That bundles includes Land of the Lustrous, Clockwork Planet, Noragami, To Your Eternity, and Mushishi on top of a lot of other known names. That bundle is worth it for Mushishi alone IMHO (all 10 volumes of it of course), and getting physical editions of that manga is quite pricey now. Please note that I cannot attest to how worthwhile any of them are other than Mushishi, nor can I attest to how much or little violence or fanservice is in some of them, sorry about that.

Mushishi can be best described as a episodic story where some chapters are happy, some are sad, and the whole experience is the epitome of “ink art”. You don’t know what you are going to get each chapter, but it is definitely immersive.

Please take a look

3 Likes

thanks for sharing !! Do they also ship physical copies?

Usually, Humble Bundle does not deal with physical copies for anything. I can only remember a bundle that they did for Pathfinder where you could get the boxed version of it off the top of my head. Sorry.

I will second this opinion. It is worth it just for Mushishi.

But I will say, at least Noragami and Battle Angel are pretty good bonuses. I already have Mushishi and Battle Angel, but I was thinking I might grab this bundle just for the discount I would be getting for Noragami. It is a really solid Shonen supernatural story from what I have read so far.

1 Like