General Kingdom Hearts Discussion

Surprised no one else has created a Topic for this, so here is any and all discussion of just about anything Kingdom Hearts related. This game series is my personal favourite of all time and I have devoted many hours to beating most of these games (though haven’t gotten around to all of them, unfortunately) and I would love to talk about it with people on Kaza.

Topics that are to be discussed here can be about anything as long as it is related to the Kingdom Hearts franchise (for example, what is your favourite Kingdom Hearts game or who is your favourite Kingdom Hearts character). Code of conduct and such apply here and if at all possible, keeping shitposting to a minimum would be nice. Also, as with all topics, do use spoiler tags when it makes sense too.

For example: "Kingdom Hearts itself is hidden away in Kingdom Hearts 3.5 Mostly Final Mix 343.4 days DLC."

Other additional topics that can be discussed here include but aren’t restricted to: Crazy fan theories about the games or their continuity, thoughts about individual games, best/worst experiences had with the KH franchise, reasons why you got into the series, favourite quotes from the games, etc.

As for me, my personal favourite Kingdom Hearts game for story is 358/2 days, but overall I would say my favourite game is probably Kingdom Hearts 2; my favourite character is Xion, though I love me some Roxas too.

So if you are an experienced veteran in the franchise whose played all the games or maybe even looking for a place to start, feel free to join in and talk!

(I also have a good Sea Salt Ice Cream recipe if I can find it and people are wondering)

My start into Kingdom Hearts was a weird one. My first KH game was Chain of Memories on the GBA, and that meant that I never played Kingdom Hearts 1 at that point, which basically meant that I was just as confused as Sora. By now I have played every Kingdom Hearts game, barring pretty much all the Final Mix content. I know I could by now, but I’m not really willing to buy those collections of the older games just for that if I already have all those older games in question.

My favorite gameplay wise would probably be Kingdom Hearts 2, whereas story wise I like Birth by Sleep a lot.

I don’t play many games but KH is my thing. Not too big on the gameplay side of things since there’s only been one title in the franchise that had tight combat (2 if you include the Aqua demo) but story-wise I love it.

Best gameplay is KH2. Best story is KH1. Worst gameplay is BBS and worst story is Coded. 3D almost gets worst story for the time travel rules, but I understand they exist to prevent Sora from going back and just cutting the problem at its root, so I give the game a pass. Messy nevertheless.
KH2 was pretty much perfect for gameplay, though some of the non-Org battles sucked. KH1 was a short little package, basic but hard to mess up. Birth By Sleep’s gameplay was incredibly limiting (more so than COM) and the battles were cheap. Coded was a waste of time in every respect.

For KH3 I’m excited to see how Xehanort got his hands on his master’s No Name exactly. Maybe their master decided Xehanort was better fit despite the darkness in his heart? Dunno how that’s gonna work out.
That, and of course the big question of why Roxas/Ventus seems to be everywhere. Brings to question how Xehanort got Ventus in the first place.
Crazy theories: Ephemer is a bad, or at least contrarian like Riku. The events of BBS were a staged recreation of the events leading up to the Keyblade War. Sora=Xehanort.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is one of the games that introduced me to RPGs in my early days. It was definitely love at first sight, the gameplay is perfect, although I lost the story because KHII was my first while I had almost zero knowledge about KH or FF franchise. Even so, the story managed to deliver its message. The drive system is something that I want to have in every single action RPG.

Years later (like, 7-9 years later), I managed to get my hand on KH1 on my PS2. It was a good game too, although it just feel very inferior in gameplay to KHII, but at least I managed to understand the story better.

KH Chain of Memories have unique gameplay that I appreciate. But since it’s not really feels like Kingdom Hearts anymore I somehow considered it as a different game altogether.
The card system make me think hard how to create a deck which can be effective against certain boss, and what strategy to pull with which kind of deck, etc. Though my favorite deck is attrition deck (heals and a lot of normal attack without sleights to make sure you outlast the enemy)

Other KH games I’ve tried are: KH BBS (stuck in Terra racing minigame), 365 (I ended up putting it aside as the control on my DS is somewhat broken), and Re:Chain of Memories (dropped because it’s just a remake of CoM which I have already completed)