General Final Fantasy Discussion

I just wanna talk about how my house-bunny Sabrina literally pulled my copies of XIII and XIII-2 off the shelf today and started attacking them. I just laughed and let them get destroyed honestly.

Not sure what everyone’s opinion on those games are, I actually kind of liked XIII-2, but Sabrina is clearly a hater.

2 Likes

This probably won’t matter to most people, but FFXI is getting its last major content update today. I played for ~8 years so this is big for me :cry:

Anyone else still playing or thinking about returning?

I’m actually going to start jumping back over there a bit as of today, now that the Return Home campaign is live. Got a Lv60-ish? Dancer to finish leveling and then I’m gonna chill and enjoy all the story campaigns

1 Like

Which server are you on?

edit; Dancer is my main job^^

Phoenix, it’s where all the people in my XIV FC are.

I run DNC/MNK at the moment but I might change that. I went through and figured out what I wanted last time I was playing but now I can’t remember what subclass I wanted for DNC.

hey I’m on Phoenix too! My name is Dabackpack there.

regarding Dancer:
/WAR is good for damage dealing
/SAM is good for self-skillchaining
/NIN is good for survivability
/RUN is good for magic enemy solos

so that FFVII remake looks prrreeeeeeettttttttyyyyyyy gooooooood.

Oh yeah, I’m hyped. Favorite FF world. KH-ish gameplay. .Hack team helping out. It’s like everything Taka likes grouped up into a game that I’ll probably never play. PC port pls.

Pretty much every main console FF game it either on, or about to be on Steam, so you’ll probably be fine.

I’m pretty psyched about it being multi-part honestly. When I first heard about that I was horrified, but I let it digest and now I’m really happy. I think it’s because I imagine it to be like the Mass Effect trilogy in that it’s all one big story but you really get in-depth every step of the way because it isn’t all crushed into one production.

I just wonder how much the first part will cover. Maybe it’ll end with Aerith’s death?

It also means that, should they do something that fans don’t like in the first part, they can change it.

2 Likes

Finally finished Bravely Default. I logged over 103 hours in that game, and it was probably even more than that from all the times I had to restart a boss fight. I loved it though, it was a really great game.

I know @Exenorate is probably happy that Ive finally finished this, so I can stop blabbing to him about how much I love this story, and get back to playing XIV, heh.

This was actually my first Final Fantasy experience. You might be wondering, Yerian, how did you grow up oblivious to such an amazing series? Well, thats just the way it happened, OK. None of my friends ever played it, and I didnt even really have a console until recently. But Im here now, so its all good.

For those that dont know, Bravely Default’s main gimmick is the mechanics of “Brave” and “Default” in battle. Basically, you can either take 1-3 extra turns in advance and then not be able to attack for a couple turns (Brave); OR you can not attack that turn, take less damage that turn, and get an extra turn later (Default). Its kinda hard to get the hang of when to use which at first, but once you do get the hang of it, it adds a whole extra layer of strategy to the battle.

The game as a whole has gotten a ton of flak for its middle section because (Ch.5+) the world starts repeating, and you basically have to complete a mini version of the first 4 chapters 4 more times. At first, then dialogue doesnt change much, and it starts to get boring. But it does keep you entertained with some new story line, it just comes much slower. And then in the latter chapters it starts making you do crazy battles with groups of bosses, so thats fun too.

I have to agree, the way they did it was probably not the best decision. Sure, it makes a great story, but for a game, it gets dull and grating at points. For some people, I can see how it might ruin the whole game. But for me, it was only one drawback for an otherwise amazing story with a fun take on classic turn-based mechanics.

Now I can’t to wait for Bravely Second to come out in April!

It’s weird. Bravely Default sounds like a game I can enjoy, but after 2 minutes of playing the demo I was just repulsed. The old JRPG style of running around a map filled with random encounters, and the turn based battles really don’t jive with me much these days. Maybe I should give it another chance, but…

To be honest, when I first picked it up, I was terribly bored by it as well. I dont think I even got through the opening dungeon. I put it down, and didnt pick it back up for months.

When I did eventually try it again, though, and got through the very beginning, it was probably the story that brought me in. I was completely enthralled by the journal and its mystery. The gameplay also starts to really pick up after you get a couple jobs so you can start experimenting.

Speaking of random encounter, there is a little nifty mechanic. You can go into settings and turn random encounters completely off. Or if you want to grind, you can turn them up to occur 100% more often. Battles even have an “auto” function so you dont even have to go through and select the same moves over and over again.

But yeah, if you are actually interested, I’d say give it another try sometime, since I had the same thing happen to me at the beginning.

Wait, no random encounters? Then you just walk through without fighting anything?

I literally played all of Bravely Second by turning encounters off and just playing the story, and any time I wanted to grind and play new Jobs or had to grind to beat a boss, I turned encounter rate up to max and grinded.

You can heavily customize Bravely to suit your playstyle.

On the topic, yes, I’m one of the people that agree that Default’s looping path to get to the ending is complete garbage and stains what should be a perfect game. It literally turns me off recommending it to people sometimes. And causes a conundrum, since Second is a direct sequel, so you’d need to beat Default to play it.

And I really want to recommend Second to people because that game is a masterpiece. Easily one of my favorite experiences in a JRPG in a long time. The games are, gameplay wise, narrative wise, mechanic wise, just so goddamn clever and they both pull off incredible story twists. I didn’t think Second could do something as clever as Default did, but it actually has a better one.

I beat the game over the course of three days, unable to stop playing. It’s just… perfect. Really. Everything they carried over from Default was already great, and every new feature, Job, character, story detail, location, also great.

Now I just need the game to come out in America so I actually have people to talk about it with, I’m going crazy I beat this back in February when it came out here in Aus.

1 Like

Man, now Im even more excited for it .Still have half a month to go though X|

Anyone else excited about FFXII Zodiark Age?

It’s weird to see how much public opinion has changed about XII. Back in 2006 being an admirer of the game was a lonely experience, you could find nothing but negative things about it. Now it seems to be acclaimed.

1 Like

I’m hyped. Final Fantasy XII IZJS was some of the most fun I’ve ever had playing a game.

I played a lot of FFs. I completed I, IV, V, VI, VII and X. I also completed IV After Years and VII Crisis Core. I don’t really know what to think of Final Fantasy after X, as our family mostly has Nintendo consoles, so I never played anything after that. I dropped II, III and VIII, just couldn’t get into the story and/or gameplay. I still need to test IX and XII at some point, because those two are just sitting around at home.
Now for spin off titles, I was actually able to experience the first Chrystal Chronicles in multiplayer, since my mom and me already each had a GBA, so we only had to get two Game Cube Game Boy Advance Link Cables. I am actually currently playing that game again. Someone who’s been doing a four player let’s play this year said that he could see a remake of the game on the Wii U maybe even with online multiplayer, and honestly, something like that would be great, albeit unlikely. Because, let’s be honest, multiplayer for the original is very expensive, if you don’t already have some of the requirements.
I was very sceptical of Square Enix in general lately, so I didn’t get Bravely Default for myself, but from what I’ve read here, I guess I should give it (and it’s sequel) a go.