General Anime Discussion

I’ve just finished watching Darker then Black S1 and enjoyed it: interesting scenario, good characters, atmosphere and a great soundtrack. It’s about 50% action and 50% character moments, and I’m not a massive fan of fights so this was a good mix for me.

The structure of the story is mainly based on two-parters although there is a longer arc as well. Mostly serious with some humour.

The lead character has an interesting struggle between living with his “power” and being caught between those who are like him and ordinary humans. The other characters fill out the story well, and minor character Kiko is one of the funniest parody characters I’ve yet seen. And for those who adore cats it has a black talking cat in the main cast :cat:

So until I can find S2 (which may not be so good I hear) at a low price I’m now open to recommendations of further series along the lines of Sci Fi / Fantasy like GitS / Fate / Death Note without too much concentration on fights and preferably without mecha!

3 Likes

No. 6 for Sci-Fi (post-apocalyptic), Blast of Tempest for fantasy (in a contemporary setting). Blast has a number of fights early on IIRC, but it’s more a mystery/drama overall. Both are pretty short and complete. Been a while since I watch either, so I’d say look them up for a good plot synopsis and see what you think. I enjoyed both and intend to rewatch them in the near future.

I’m finally getting back into my backlog of Anime/VNs, starting with Classroom of the Elite. I found it to be a decent shakeup to the typical slice of life/rom-com highschool genre. The drama stems from the students being cutthroat in their attempts to advance, and I didn’t feel most of the characters weren’t completely one-dimensional, which is usually a well deserved criticism of these kinds of shows. You can see just about every twist and wrinkle forming a mile away, but from scene to scene the execution of how plot even unfolded kept me entertained. One comedic gag in the “obligatory beach/pool episode” had me rolling pretty good. Overall, it was refreshingly above average as it benefits from the semblance of a plot, although that might not be saying much.

FLCL Progressive. If you recognized my avatar here, you’d guess I’m a fan of the original 2000 series. I’d been putting it off all this time because I was worried about how Progressive and Alternative would turn out. To be honest, FLCL isn’t really a show that needs a sequel of any sort: The original doesn’t have “filler.” It’s exactly as long as it needs to be, and not a minute more. Part of the show’s charm is that break-neck pacing, the cryptic dialogue, its ridiculous presence, premise, presentation, and symbolism. From the various character’s “Bats” (guitars), to the underlying representation of “paths” that Mamimi and Haruko suggest… I could write a book on the original alone. It was among the first true anime I’d seen that wasn’t your typical Sunday cartoon shouen affair. Even now, it’s unique approach remains largely untouched. I remember a strong feeling of accomplishment and closure by the end. I still had questions, but I felt I could determine my own answers with a second, closer look, and so I did.

Where does that leave us with Progressive, then? The question is: “Can Progressive stand alone as a good show in its own right?” I’d say it does… for the most part. Yes, it ditches some of the charm and purposely confusing mystique of the original by actually slowing down to explain certain bits of lore and backstory. Progressive opts to tell a more straightforward story with it’s almost entirely new cast. Although it retains some goofiness, it’s a much more direct approach than before, and I’d say it’s two leads, Hibajiri and Ide were very one note as compared to Naota and Mamimi. It unfortunately boils down to a clunky love story and Haruko as a pointlessly obsessed and power hungry teenager. Again, a major part of the original was that character motivations were very unclear, and you had to piece them together afterwards. That doesn’t happen really happen here: what you see is what you get, primarily. (But then again, nothing ever really happens, does it?)

That being said, Jinyu was an excellent addition, the way her character presents itself is much more in the vein of the original. Her comments on Haruko, and their mutual feelings towards Atomsk, and of course Atomsk himself(itself?), retain the more cryptic and symbolic presentation of the original, just enough to give a small peek behind the curtain without letting you stare too long. That’s pretty much my only major complaint, I think Haruko should have been in more of a cameo role, to keep her mystique intact while also letting someone like Jinyu take her place, giving a different perspective to things like Medical Mechanica and Atomsk. Ultimately, Progressive is a good compliment to the original; funny, entertaining, but slightly unnecessary with a “filler” vibe to it. I’m not complaining, but it didn’t blow my mind for the second time, and I didn’t expect it to. I’ll likely be going into Alternative with the same mindset, although I’m not in any hurry at this point.

1 Like

So I ended up getting quite a bit more anime of all different flavors over the past few months (unfortunately Planetarian was not one of them), but also discarded or dropped quite a lot of it too. There was no way to ever get to it all, and if one wants to watch titles like Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Space Brothers then it’s pretty much inevitable.

Sentai has the first season of You’re Under Arrest (50-ish episodes) online through their streaming service which is awesome so that’ll get slowly watched in the next few months. Gundam Seed may come back into the fold too but that would be something to do between Little Busters routes and not during them! :happy:

To be fair, I have not paid attention to anything airing this season but with lots to do including watching the Haruhi movie that is still just sitting on top of a pile. So is Dominion, and Arkham Horror LCG and…the picture is pretty clear.

I know I’m a weeeeee bit late to the party, but I just finished watching Durarara X2. I saw the original more or less when it came out, but have never actually seen the second season until now. In fact, I didn’t even know there was a second season until my sister bought the dvds about a fortnight ago. I was never big into the first season, but I think the second season was way better.

The story structure took a serious blow, but the characterisation is waaaaaaay better. The main problem I had with the first one was that there were so many characters that I just found indistinct from one another. The only characters whose names I even remembered by the time I finished watching it were Izaya, Shizuo and Celty. But beginning in the second season, characters who I’d forgotten even existed started leaving big impressions on me (Read: Haruna). In particular, there was a great improvement on having charismatic antagonists other than Izaya.

Though, like I said, the story structure suffered, at least in part to the characterisation aspect. There were so many characters doing so much at once that the story had no time to actually progress.

The ending was also disappointing. I was hoping one of Izaya or Shizuo would die. I wouldn’t particularly care which. Izaya’s been my favourite character since day one, but it’s also true that his death would’ve been a great finale. Same with Shizuo, really. And it wouldn’t have left me feeling like the entire season was pointless.

On a positive note though, the opening and ending themes were all fire.

Overall, I’d say it’s definitely better than the first season.

1 Like

I really like Durarara too but in my case I prefered the first season because of the atmosphere, the main conflict between the 3 main characters and the second season was too much “strange” sometimes ( I’m talking about Izaya’s sisters who disapointed me and Namie Yagiri with her incest feelings). The story progressed quite well I think and it was never boring for me. About the end I might have mistaken it but Izaya probably dies after leaving Ikebukuro. My favourite opening was the 2nd it’s one my favourite from any kind of anime but they were all great with the first ending essentially. :amorous:

Finished my first watch of Cowboy Bebop, I enjoyed it quite a lot although it’s hard to pin down anything to say that this is a must watch other than its “classic” status". For example there are no big emotional hits although that’s probably not the intention anyway. I’m sure the art isn’t as crisp as newer anime but it serves the kind of noirish feel. As far as the inter-relationships go it’s certainly subtle and since the main characters are adults (except one) this feels very realistic and avoids melodrama.

Most of the series is episodic with a mix of action and light comedy but throughout there are references to the characters’ back stories, and a long running arc of sorts. I didn’t find much to get interested in the two main characters at first but the addition of Faye Valentine definitely helps to add a bit of a missing spark to proceedings. We end up effectively getting to know Jet and Spike better through Faye’s observations. Ed I didn’t find added much except for some weirdness ( and an unexpected link to the works of Key through Aoi Tada).

Some of the stories to me didn’t make a lost of sense, being so fast paced, and just are kind of “there” as standalone adventures with no consequence, and as I read a comment by someone elsewhere the series as a whole almost feels like the epilogue to a story we never see - perhaps in a way that’s why it works well.

Strong point of course is the soundtrack as to be expected with Yoko Kanno, which ranges from Americana blues/roots all twangy guitar to jazz-funk and most points in between. Add to that it’s own “worldbuilding” and neo noir atmosphere plus some smart dialogue.

I wouldn’t say it has the depth of, say, Fate Zero (with its philosophical musings) from a single runthrough, but it is solid entertainment. Definitely glad I got this anyway and will certainly rewatch.

Elfen Lied gets my thumbs up.

Veers between extreme cuteness (“にゅう !”) and graphic violence, it’s a bit short with 13 episodes ( I gather it only covers about half the story in the manga ) which means it’s left a bit open-ended. Quite compelling in a dark and rather disturbing way with hard hitting story themes and some great directing, but one to avoid if you dislike gore and (anime) female nudity.

A bit surprised to hear the VA for Kotomi-chan in this!

Next on the to view list is Black Butler.

3 Likes

How To Raise A Boring Girlfriend
Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster
Kokkoku
Violet Evergarden
Poputepipikku