General Anime Discussion

Just watched Kimi no Na Wa recently released on DVD/Blu ray here; beautifully animated indeed, some slightly predictable teen comedy, a little sentimental but quite moving too and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

2 Likes

I still have yet to watch it :sweat:
but I will some time in the future!

My anime of the season so far? Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. Definitely good if not one of the best. Itā€™s very heartwarming in my opinion, and if you wanna get a little philosophical, you might find inspiration from the two characters (Chito and Yuuri, namely) about how they face nihilism; what would you do if you were the last living person on Earth, and you know that humanity canā€™t be saved and you will die in vain anyway?

2 Likes

I donā€™t watch much currently airing stuff, despite the fact that I really like the usual high school slice of life/comedy/romance variations that it tend to be full of. I guess I ended up getting annoyed with how majority of them have no real closure because they are usually only 13 episodes of one off seasons. The last shows I remember watching while they were airing was Nisekoi and Oregairu, if that says anything. I have been reading a lot more books lately, so I might start reading more current manga and LNs.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is my all time favorite show. I pretty much love everything about it, especially Kyonā€™s dry wit and his long conversations with Koizumi. I also might be the only person in the world who wasnā€™t really bothered by Endless Eight. I really like the time travel stuff, and thought it was done really well, especially in The Disappearance. Close second would be Okami-san and Her Seven Companions. That show really made me smile at a moment when I really needed it.

After those, I donā€™t really have any set favorites where Iā€™d rank anything above each other with any significance. That being said, other favorites that immediately jump to mind would be Golden Time, FMA 2003 (Yes, over Brotherhood), Your Lie In April, and FLCL.

Iā€™m looking forward to FLCL 2 and 3 whenever they come out. The song in the trailer gave me goosebumps; I think I might be more excited for the new Pillows soundtrack than anything else.

3 Likes

Months ago I watched Showa Genroku Rajugo Shinjuu and I totally loved it, I re-watched it 2 more times and equially enjoying it and discovering new details that dont notice the first time. An anime like Showa Genroku should have much more reconoisance. Someone here watched it?
77907l

4 Likes

I watched a bit of it. I think the first two or three episodes. I remember finding the initial premise interestingā€¦ Iā€™ve seen some rakugo in the past, so I had a mild interest in the subject, and the Sheena Ringo OP drew me inā€¦ But upon hearing it was all flashback I decided it wasnā€™t for me.
One of those shows where, despite the appreciation of the love and attention put into the material, the material remains completely uninteresting to me.

2 Likes

I watched season 1, I thought it was a very good show! Somehow I still havenā€™t gotten around to watching season 2 (Clannad is taking a lot of my time atm lol), Iā€™ve heard that itā€™s very good though so I should make that a priority. Itā€™s very different from most anime these days, which is usually a good thing (though I can enjoy the more generic stuff plenty too). Another show that feels like that to me too (despite being quite different) is 3-gatsu no Lion, its second season is currently airing and I think itā€™s great as well.

2 Likes

Funnily enough 3-gatsu was another show I dropped after 2 episodes for the same reason as Rakugo. Despite seeming like a not-bad version of KimiUso, the subject just wasnā€™t interesting to me.

1 Like

I just finished Erased. Itā€™s a crime thriller with a bit of romance.

The protagonist is a struggling manga artist who is guilt ridden from an incident in his childhood where he wasnā€™t able to save a classmate of his from being kidnapped and murdered. From that time he gained an ability ā€˜Revivalā€™. This ability allows him to return to a point of time just before something bad happens.

His mom comes to his home to see how heā€™s doing. One day when they are shopping his mom sees a suspicious man leading off a kid in a van. The man notices this and abandons his plan to kidnap the kid. The mom eventually finds out the the man she saw is the killer from past, she tries to tell the protagonist but she is murdered before she can do so. The protagonist comes home to find his dead mother and the police tries to arrest him for the murder.

At that time Revival happens and he is thrown back to his childhood where the whole murder mystery began.

I would give it a 9/10.

5 Likes

I should recommend you to read the manga, is much more detailed and have a very different, and more epic, ending.

Also have a much better explanation about the main villainā€™s psychology and backstory.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been planning for that but couldnā€™t find time.

1 Like

Now watching ā€˜yahari ore no seishun (my youth romantic comedy is wrong, as i expected)ā€™.

Man i never thought i would watch an anime to engross me this much in a short time. It made care for every character if it was the silent beauty Yukinon, the bubbly and cheerful yui, the cute femboy seika or the helpful zaimokuza.

The protagonist is very different from any other i seen. The inner monologue of his only makes up this anime worth watching. Never thought being a social outcast could affect a man like this.

Season 1 was good but hell season two, they added a ton of character development in it especially for Hachiman and iroha.

This is gonna be the best drama anime i ever watched.

4 Likes

Iā€™m unfortunately not watching much anime as of late either because I donā€™t have the time, nothing seems interesting to watch, being burnt out from watching so much in the past or all 3. That said, I took a look at the Winter line up for 2018 and some have actually peaked my interest.

NOTE: These are not recommendations (excluding the last one), these are merely one that have peaked my interest and will not know if they will be good or not.

First anime that looks interesting to me is ā€œViolet Evergardenā€. While the description doesnā€™t really say much about the plot, the animation and art style looks absolutely gorgeous (which is to be expected by Kyoto Animation) so Iā€™m looking forward to watching it just for the animation alone. This trailer should give you an idea of what the plot is and how the animation looks.

Second one that looks interesting is ā€œGrancrest Senkiā€. This one is a Fantasy setting anime about a Mage and a Knight that is trying to save their country that is ravaged with chaos and wars. Iā€™m not exactly sure why this seems interesting to me but I canā€™t help but feel it has the potential to be very good if done correctly. I canā€™t find a trailer that has subs for this one.

The third anime that seems interesting is ā€œHakata Tonkotsu Ramensā€. Iā€™m not really sure what to expect out of this one but the trailer alone makes me want to watch this anime.

Last but not least is ā€œCardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-henā€. This is a sequel to the 1998 anime ā€œCardcaptor Sakuraā€ and if you have not seen it I suggest you to watch it for it is a really good series. The fact that this anime is getting a new sequel (and not a remake like Sailor Moon) after 20 years should tell you how good it is. I recently rewatched ā€œCardcaptor Sakuraā€ and in all honestly the animation still holds up even by todayā€™s standards which is probably why they went for a sequel instead of a remake. I wonā€™t be posting the trailer for those that have not seen the original since it will spoil it.

Iā€™m definitely looking forward to ā€œCardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-henā€ the most out of all of these.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve mentioned before that my mother is anime fan. I should be more specific; she was a anime fan when she was my age (though she will sit down and watch something more modern like Clannad). Sheā€™s told me that she has watched three series: Candy Candy, Heidi, Girl of the Alps, and Mazinger Z. I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever watched any of these. If so, what are youā€™re thoughts?

2 Likes

I remember watching Heidi as a kid when it aired on television, and everyone my age knows the lyrics of the opening by heart. This is all based on memories, but I remember it to be a nice warm story which didnā€™t try to be too pretentious but still delivered its message clearly. As a kid I liked it, but now I donā€™t see me seeking out specifically to watch it.

I havenā€™t seen Mazinger Z and Candy Candy, but theyā€™re very popular within my fatherā€™s generation, and Iā€™ve heard good opinions in general about them.,

4 Likes

Yeah, Heidiā€™s one of the big WMT shows. They were aired everywhere. Some got Heidi, some got Anne, some Rocky Chuck. Over here we had Moomin most prominently.

Basically they were all long-running adaptations of classical works from all over the world. A lot of the modern anime industry stems from it, with a lot of studios being outright born from it (such as Ghibli)

3 Likes

Other anime my mother just informed me she watched were The Adventures of Hutch the Honeybee, Nobodyā€™s Boy: Remi, and Treasure Island. Thoughts?

Also, she proceeded to brag about how they were better than My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for some reason.

1 Like

Got a copy of 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Timeā€™ from the local DVD exchange this week and watched it last night ( Japanese with subtitles, not dubbed). I wouldnā€™t say I found it exceptional but I did enjoy it. I donā€™t know if it is better having watched the original movie - I wasnā€™t aware there was one until after I wikiā€™d this one after watching it. In some ways itā€™s like Steins;Gate with the focus purely on the the every day school world and coming of age rather than the sci-fi and trying to rationalize the theory of time leaps. Thereā€™s no need to question the plot too deeply, just sit back and enjoy.

Best girl = 'Auntie Witch though! I see theories that she is older Makoto but Iā€™m not convinced

3 Likes

Does anyone know if there is or will be a U.S. DVD release of A Silent Voice? I know a dubbed version was shown in theaters a while back. Iā€™ve also noticed that some people have uploaded subbed versions on YouTube, but Iā€™d rather watch it through legal means.

2 Likes

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/09/27-1/a-silent-voice-english-dub-cast-listed
You might want to take a look at this.

3 Likes