General Anime Discussion

I was bored of season 1 really quickly, but s2 was actually pretty fun to watch. I think it embraced what people thought of it.

1 Like

My favorite thing about Aldnoah.Zero is reading peoples’ comments on MAL about it.
Truly though, I did like A.Z despite my dislike for the mecha genre. I really just wanted to find out what happened to Slaine so that’s what kept me going.

I haven’t watched anything recently. I got 18 episodes into Your Lie in April and then I just stopped for no apparent reason.
I’m watching Haikyuu! season 2, but I’m a few weeks behind because I like to marathon shows instead of watching episodes as they’re released.
And I’m watching RWBY volume 3 if that counts, but I don’t really consider RWBY an anime.

Nothing from the currently airing season appeals to me. I mean, there’s that AoT Junior High thing, but I’m sad that exists. Sakurako’s Investigation and Kowabon sound vaguely interesting but I haven’t paid attention to what people are saying about them.

I liked the first few episodes, found the middle bland and I’m liking the recent episodes again. If you like mysteries you’ll probably like it but that’s pretty much all it has going for it.

I like mysteries if they’re good mysteries :stuck_out_tongue:
Usually what determines whether or not I like an anime is how much the characters appeal to me, so if it’s a character driven show I’d probably like it whether the mysteries were good or not.
From your description, I’m guessing the characters are just mediocre?

I’m not watching it, but there’s a cool girl with long black hair, so they can’t be getting it too wrong. It’s not hard to do.

See here for my thoughts on it, they haven’t changed since then

Sakurako is pretty interesting and I like the one-offs related to the mysteries but not so much the rest of the characters. They aren’t bad or anything I just don’t like them.

So I made a thing

1 Like

Oh, damn. There was anime this year. I almost forgot to do a yearly wrap-up!

I’m surprised to see Death Parade on there. From what I’ve heard, it didn’t really change much from the first episode at all.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:344, topic:27”]
I’m surprised to see Death Parade on there. From what I’ve heard, it didn’t really change much from the first episode at all.
[/quote] V

[quote=“Yerian, post:165, topic:27”]
it got increasingly repetitive up to episode 6.
[/quote][quote=“Yerian, post:165, topic:27”]
I watched the last 6 episodes all at once they were so good. I suddenly started liking characters that had annoyed me the whole time. Episodes 8 and 9 were two of the best episodes of an anime I’ve seen in a while. It reminded me why I loved Death Billiards so much in the first place.
[/quote]My opinion of it at least. It ended pretty damn well compared to the first half. Still lots left in mystery tho

Pretty much what @Yerian said, I liked all of it but the 2nd half was what really made the show

And I just heard that Souma is getting a 2nd season, top news that

1 Like

For me it was the other way around; for me the anime felt too random and lacking direction; the bittersweet couple episode and the fanservice episode really felt out of place

But like @Yerian and @SKyzzed say the latter half is really good; so I’d still put it #1 or #2 of the season (also because the rest of the season was really mediocre)

I think it was the only season this year that was good, despite it having the largest group of generic harem anime.

Akatsuki no Yona, Parasyte, Saekano, Shirobako, Aldnoah Zero 2. Some people liked KimiUso, and Tribe Cool Crew was really fun.

Really? I found Spring and Summer way more enjoyable than Winter. All I liked from winter was YLIA, JoJo’s, AC and Koufuku Graffiti. Saekano was fun but I hate anime that don’t have proper endings unless they’re split-cour.

Spring had: Finishing AC and JoJo’s, Danna ga Nani 2, F/SN, Hibike, Kinmoza, Plastic Memories, Ore Monogatari and Shokugeki no Souma and Summer had: Finishing OM and SnS, Gakkougurashi, Shimosekai, Wakaba*Girl and Wakako-Zake

I didn’t watch AC, JoJo’s, Danna ga Nani, or Kinmoza, and dropped Ore Monogatari. Too much SoL and comedy for me. Can’t stand that stuff.
I had 4 shows over 6/10 in Spring - Hibike! Euphonium, Plamemo, F/SN, and Soma.

In Summer, I dropped Shimosekai, and didn’t watch Wakaba*Girl or Wakako-Zake.
Above 6/10 in Summer for me were - Classroom Crisis, Jitsu wa Watashi wa, Joukamachi, Overlord, and Gakkou Gurashi.

There were definitely a decent amount of good shows in those seasons, but Shirobako was better than all of them. Saekano was fun to watch being that it’s a play on the type of anime that got me into the medium, Aldnoah embraced it’s stupidity and really upped it’s quality in the second season, Parasyte has a super strong start, and AnY was just standard period-fantasy stuff. I think that, while there were less good shows, they outclassed the other seasons in overall quality, and it was a lot more entertaining to follow each week.

I guess that might be why we disagree. I’d much rather have a bunch of 7-8/10s than a couple 9-10/10s. I generally don’t think of shows in terms of numbers just “How enjoyable was it?” and “Did it reach the goal it set in episode 1?” and everything I listed would be very enjoyable and yes for me.

I just checked my average scores of each season, and the ranking for them is

1. Summer (7.5) - 20 shows
  2. Spring (7.43) - 14 shows
  3. Fall (6.86) - 14 shows
  4. Winter (6.1) - 15 shows

As for really good shows per season (score 8 or above):

• Summer: Durarara, Gakkougurashi, Gatchaman, Gate, Himouto, Prison School, MonMusu, Non Non Biyori, Overlord, Symphogear
  • Spring: DanMachi, Fate/UBW, KinMosa, Nisekoi, Souma, OreGairu, Yamada-kun
  • Fall: GochiUsa, One Punch Man, Owarimonogatari, Yuru Yuri
  • Winter: Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Death Parade, Durarara

I should add that fall and winter were also the only seasons that had shows with score 4 or lower, so that pulled them down a bit, those being Fafnir, Shinmai Maou and Yuri Kuma in winter, and Garo and Lance 'n Masques in fall (I guess some people are gonna hate me for this^^)

Anyways, for me the Season of the Year award goes to the summer season :3

[quote=“Doublethree1, post:351, topic:27”]
I generally don’t think of shows in terms of numbers just “How enjoyable was it?” and “Did it reach the goal it set in episode 1?” and everything I listed would be very enjoyable and yes for me
[/quote]Yeah that is the downside of scores, there’s a few shows where I’m like “this is a meh show but still strangely enjoyable” like Shomin Sample this season, so I’m always pondering on the scoring because on one hand I do feel like it’s meh but I also want to show that I enjoyed it… quite the dilemma^^

I liked LnM for the first 3 episodes but after that it’s been so bad![quote=“Skyzzed, post:352, topic:27”]
this is a meh show but still strangely enjoyable
[/quote]
That’s why I don’t really score. I do give anime scores on MAL but I myself don’t put much stock in those.

1 Like

My favorite example is “I want to give NagiAsu an 11/10, but I can’t, so I’ll give it an 8.”

My favorite anime is Black Butler, and I think Black Butler costumes are beautiful, especially Ciel Phantomhive