Flip Flappers Discussion

It may seem odd that I am starting a discussion topic for an anime that has nothing to do with Key after its run has finished, but hear me out.

Flip Flappers started out in October 2016 seemingly to be just your ordinary original anime (with some neat visuals and a tad bit of eccentricity), and that turned out to be true for the first half of the season. What I think might be interesting to look into to Kazamatsurites and Key fans in general is that the screenplay of the second half of the series was possibly written by Hisaya Naoki (who we know as one of the writers of Kanon, as well as Sola and Sora no Method).

The show’s story concept was written by Ayana Yuniko, who also worked on the screenplays of five episodes in the first half, but had since had no involvement in the screenplay starting from episode 7 according to her in a tweet. Starting episode 8, however, the screenplays were attributed to someone named Hayashi Naoki (written in katakana), which is Hisaya’s real name (when written in kanji, that is). This, along with the fact that Hisaya’s last series, Sora no Method, was also animated by 3Hz and produced by producer Nagatani Takayuki (who has worked with Hisaya since Sola) makes me believe that it is reasonably plausible that Hisaya was brought in to finish work on the series but opted to not attribute it to his usual pen name. There is also a tad bit of that Hisaya feel that I found in Sola and Sora no Method toward the end, although that is entirely subjective.

Although this is entirely speculation (one which the Japanese side of the Internet speculated on a lot when the staff credits for episode 8 was revealed as well), I think it’s highly likely that the writer in question is Hisaya. Perhaps other Hisaya fans here can share their thoughts as well?

5 Likes

I actually did watched and finished Flip Flappers a while ago. I though it was pretty interesting and I definitely loved the visuals, imagery, and the bright colors set upon the world of Pure Illusion. It was a good series though some parts I did feel confused in some of the episodes.

I love Cocona and Papika which they really had good chemistry with each other though sometimes they didn’t get along well. Pure Illusion was basically a place where each individual’s concept was portrayed and how that changes from person to person. It gets into people’s thoughts and memories of how they perceived the world from their viewpoints.

Anyway, it reminds me of Alice in Wonderland which would be no surprise there considering it’s a world that’s similar to Pure Illusion. Other than that, it was really worth watching the series and I’m glad that I got to see it.