Favourite quotes

Most chatrooms have a topic like this I think, don’t they?
ITT: We post some of our favourite quotes. It doesn’t matter if they’re from Key stories; movies; books; speeches; random sayings you pulled out of your ass; whatever. It doesn’t matter why you like them either–they can be inspiring, funny, sobering, or just strange things people said that made you think, ‘I thought I was the only one…’–whatever your reasons, just post 'em.

I’ll start us off with a few of my own personal favourites (warning: large walls of text inbound; you’ll have to click to view the images in full):

1. First is from Dr Carl E Sagan’s 1994 book The Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of The Human Future in Space (the best book I’ve ever read):

2. The second comes from Charlie Chaplin’s 1939 film The Great Dictator (a biting satire exposing the insanity of European fascism and urging the world to denounce its atrocities):

3. The last one I’ll post for now comes from Professor Brian Cox’ documentary series Wonders of The Universe:

3 Likes

The Great Dictators is fantastic, especially that last line. The speech with music added is on youtube and I would absolutely recomend checking it out, Chaplin is a great speaker.

I’ll share some quotes too.

“Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.”
-Kurt Vonnegut

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Ray Bradbury

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”
-Robert A. Heinlein

And a few lighthearted ones.

“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
“No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.”
Yoggi Berra

“The world bores you when you’re cool.”
“Today for show and tell I ‘ve brought a tiny marvel of nature: a
single snowflake. I think we might all learn a lesson from how this utterly
unique and exquisite crystal… …turns into an ordinary boring molecule of
water just like every other one when you bring it in the classroom. And now.
While the analogy sinks in. I’ll be leaving you drips and going outside.”
-Calvin and Hobbes

I hope to see this thread grow. I’ll be back with more quotes sometime.

1 Like

I’ve seen that one; have you seen the autotuned version? It was made by Melodysheep, the same guy who did Happy Little Trees (Bob Ross), The Garden of Your Mind (Fred Rogers), the Symphony of Science series, and The WTF Song, and it’s great too.

1 Like

I’ve seen that one; have you seen the autotuned version?

I have. I never knew they were all from the same person. The Garden of Your Mind is another must watch.

Since we are talking about edited inspirational videos I’ll just leave this here:

1 Like

My favorite quotes mostly come from a novel called Warbreaker by american author Brandon Sanderson. This story involves a character called Lightsong the Bold who has some of the greatest lines. Here are a few examples:
“I try to avoid having thoughts. They lead to other thoughts, and-if you’re not careful-those lead to actions.
Actions make you tired. I have this on rather good authority from someone who once read it in a book.”

“I swear, my dear. Sometimes our conversations remind me of a broken sword. Sharp as hell, but lacking a point.”

“Work is like fertilizer in that I’m glad it exists; I just don’t ever want to get stuck in it.”

2 Likes

My 2 favorite quotes of all time.

3 Likes

Oh boy… This is going to be fun. There are far too many for me to start with them all; but here are a few that stand out a bit more than the others.

“Pride is the recognition of the fact that you are your own highest value and, like all of man’s values, it has to be earned”

“To fear to face an issue is to believe that the worst is true.”

“When you force a man to act against his own choice and judgment, it’s his thinking that you want him to suspend.”

“Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision. Their goals differed, but they all had this in common: that the step was first, the road new, the vision unborrowed, and the response they received — hatred. The great creators — the thinkers, the artists, the scientists, the inventors — stood alone against the men of their time. Every great new thought was opposed. Every great new invention was denounced. The first motor was considered foolish. The airplane was considered impossible. The power loom was considered vicious. Anesthesia was considered sinful. But the men of unborrowed vision went ahead. They fought, they suffered and they paid. But they won.”

“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”

Ayn Rand

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.
Amelia Earnhart

“Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.”

“Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.”

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

George Orwell

3 Likes

I’ll bust out the glorious prose of G.K. Chesterton for this. I’ll do my best to hone back from posting all my favorite quotes of his; I’ll just satisfy myself with a selection from this excellent list:

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”

“A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.”

“To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.”

“It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.”

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”

“To be clever enough to get all that money, one must be stupid enough to want it.”

“The act of defending any of the cardinal virtues has today all the exhilaration of a vice.”

“I believe what really happens in history is this: the old man is always wrong; and the young people are always wrong about what is wrong with him. The practical form it takes is this: that, while the old man may stand by some stupid custom, the young man always attacks it with some theory that turns out to be equally stupid.”

“The center of every man’s existence is a dream. Death, disease, insanity, are merely material accidents, like a toothache or a twisted ankle. That these brutal forces always besiege and often capture the citadel does not prove that they are the citadel.”

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.”

“I have little doubt that when St. George had killed the dragon he was heartily afraid of the princess.”

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”

“Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision.”

“Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative.”

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”

Here’s one I found particularly Key-like:

“When we step into the family, by the act of being born, we do step into a world which is incalculable, into a world which has its own strange laws, into a world which could do without us, into a world we have not made. In other words, when we step into the family we step into a fairy-tale.”

4 Likes

“I believe in the ability of focusing strongly in something, then you are able to extract even more out of it. It’s been like this all my life, and it’s been only a question of improving it, and learning more and more and there is almost no end. As you go through you just keep finding more and more. It’s very interesting, it’s fascinating.”

(Emphasis mine on this next one)

“It’s important that the drivers stay together, because in difficult moments we have each other. If we are not together the financial and political interests of the organisers and constructors come to the fore.”

• Ayrton Senna

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”

• Steve McQueen
2 Likes

I apparently don’t have anything inspirational so here we go.

“There’s a time and place for everything, but not now.” -Professor Oak

This was supposed to be funny but it could be inspirational if you analyze it. For example, if you’re feeling down or feeling like your life has no meaning just think, it just simply isn’t the right time and place right now. But one day and somewhere you will fit in, and you will get to ride your bike whenever you feel like because you are a strong independent woman young trainer who needs no professor. Wait nothing makes sense.

I’ll continue with this Pokémon thing and put an actually good quote.

“I see now that the circumstances of one’s birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.” -Mewtwo

4 Likes

This is the one I love the most.

The ultimate dream in life is to be able to do what you love and learn something from it.” - Jennifer Love Hewitt.

It was not until maybe one or two years ago, that I had this mindset of going to school/university, getting a good job and then only time would tell what would be next. However, I saw that quote, or rather I found that quote since I changed my mindset. I started actually doing the things I loved or trying out things that made me curious (not drugs guys :smile:). I started going out more frequently, watching anime without caring about what others might think, went skiing for the first time…

Now I started university, but nonetheless I started playing the piano and studying Japanese. While I don’t expect anything from such hobbies, the only fact that I love them makes me happy enough, even if I suck at them. And, of course, learning some actual Japanese and hearing your first melodies is one of the most fulfilling feelings you may experience.

2 Likes

Well, mine does happen to be from Key,:yahaha:

“I believe that stories are written and read to rebel against the fact that you only live once.”
-Mio Nishizono, Little Busters!

As someone who both loves to write and read stories, this quote really stuck for me.
Everyone is afraid of being forgotten, no one wants to die knowing that their life will, in a generation or so, be completely irrelevant. Writing stories allows the reader to delve into the writer’s head; a permanent mark of their thought process and ideas. A story can tell so much about the writer. You leave an imprint not only on paper but on people when you write a story. In that sense, stories never truly die, I’d like to think.

You could also look at it from the perspective of the reader. When you read a story, you take the form of the protagonist. You care and feel for the characters, you struggle and deal with them, you go so far as to “live again” through their tale. In this way, you could say you’ve lived more than a single life.

Just my thoughts on it, at least.

10 Likes

“I’m not qualified to understand it. However, I’m also not qualified to deny it.”

• Willard H. Wright, Umineko no Naku Koro ni

This quote really struck a chord with me. As someone who hasn’t faced much hardship in life so far, the question of how to deal with other people facing hardship was a difficult one. I try my best to put myself in their shoes, to understand, to empathize, but then, wouldn’t it be arrogant of me to claim to actually be capable of understanding them? No, as Willard states plainly, I’m not qualified to understand; I’ve never faced any of that sort of hardship, how could I possibly understand what it’s like? And in turn, I’m also not qualified to deny it. However they may deal with their situation, however they may feel or act, I am in no position to deny the validity of those feelings. It’s all I can do to try to understand, to sympathize. It is not my place to arrogantly judge.

5 Likes

Oh boy. Time to bust out all the quotes I’ve written down over the years and pick my favorites - and I’ll probably still end up posting way too many. Too bad @stevenharryw already picked one of them, but on the other hand, I’m happy to find another like-minded person :kyogrin:
So, here comes my mix of everything

Procrastination. Hard work usually pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.
~ Demotivational Poster

Overconfidence. Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.
~ Demotivational Poster

A stupid man’s report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.
~ Bertrand Russel

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
~ Bertrand Russel

The person you care for the most is the person you’ll let hurt you the most.
~ unknown

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believeing that it is stupid.
~ Albert Einstein

Being honest may not get you many friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.
~ John Lennon

The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference.
The opposite of beauty is not ugliness, it’s indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death.
~ Elie Wiesel

As long as we live and breathe, our way is paved with ice. A person’s life is not comprised of four repeating seasons, but a year-long winter wilderness. Whether or not you stop to wipe your blood or tears,they will inevitably freeze over.
~ Azai Gonzou - G-Senjou no Maou

Didn’t your mum tell you? Even if you like cute girls, cute girls might not like you.
~ Hikigaya Hachiman - Oregairu

A king without greed is even worse than a figurehead! A king must be greedier, laugh louder and be more furious than everyone else. He must exemplify the extreme of all things, including good and evil. That is exactly why his subjects envy and adore him. And why the flame of wanting to be like the king can burn in the hearts of every civilian.
~ Rider - Fate/Zero

In my opinion, pursuing something is what it means to live. I don’t think that’s an exaggeration. I mean, everyone will die someday. The consequence of life is death! Caring only for the end result scares me.
~ Kazuki Hoshino - Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria

We aren’t characters in a manga… There’s no human who is all bad. There’s no human who is all evil. No one has the same personality when viewed from all angles, and no one has the same personality at all times.
~ Kaiki Deishu - Hanamonogatari

Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil. Just look through history and you’ll understand. What is the difference between a murderer who kills a single person and a great hero who kills one million? It has nothing to do with the person himself. It comes down to whether everyone else accepts him. It’s an issue of majority rule.
~ Othinus - To aru Majutsu no Index New Testament

Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
~ Richter Abend/Aster Laker - Tales of Symphonia 2 - Dawn of the New World

6 Likes

What an interesting topic, says a bit about your guys’ personalities haha.

“A lesson without pain is meaningless; that’s because no-one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it…he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart - A full metal heart.” ~ Edward Elric “Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood”

6 Likes

I found this quote on facebook one day, and I was like whoa, I love it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Clannad spoiler… maybe… well it’s two photos of a scene from one of the ovas of Clannad After Story (the anime)

3 Likes

Are you sure that’s not from a T-Sweezy song?

Hope I’m not too late to the party. Been away so long that I got the “Bad Dango” achievement. Here’s one:

“I still don’t know what it really means to grow up. However, if I happen to meet you, one day in the future, by then, I want to become someone you can be proud to know.”
― Makoto Shinkai, 5 Centimeters per Second

This quote speaks a lot to me. And I’m sure anyone who’s ever had an unrequited love can relate.

But once we’ve moved on, it’s time to drag a friend along and go exploring. :wink:

4 Likes

Just a few really cool quotes.

“The true measure of a shinobi is not how he lives but how he dies. It’s not what they do in life but what they did before dying that proves their worth.” - Jiraiya

“Stand up and walk - keep going forward” - Edward Elric

“Be a graceful lady and let me touch your boobs whenever I want.” - Battler Ushiromiya

“If I follow my dream and it shatters - I can accept having to regret that. But I don’t want to regret not pursuing it in the first place.” - Mashiro Moritaka

“Itza me MARIO” - Mario (Yes I think that this is cool)

My Hero Academia Spoilers (first 12 volumes or mid season 3), “UNITED STATES OF A SMASH” - All Might

“Yare yare daze” - Jotaro Kujo

And a few stupid quotes,
“Uguu” - Ayu Tsukushima
“Eye of the Spider” - Aspi
“Your Already Dead” - Kenshiro

1 Like

With great power comes great responsibility.
-Uncle Ben

2 Likes