Fate Series Discussion

D:

You have read the VN, right?^^
It plays during Saber vs Gilgamesh in Fate, Shirou vs Archer and Shirou vs Gilgamesh in UBW, and Shirou vs Black Berserker in HF

Yeahā€¦ 6 years ago

I wonā€™t remember if I donā€™t know it though. I donā€™t usually take notice of bgm tracks.

About time a topic like this showed up. :slight_smile:

I have written full reviews on F/SN, but to summarize, I do like it. The setting is mundane yet interesting, the characters are fun and likeable (except for a certain family of magi), the battles are exciting (but admittedly dated), and the lore is fun to read up on. Itā€™s definitely not without flaws, but it is quite a fun VN to read.

I have not watched much of Fate/Zero at the time of this post (only the first two episodes), and so far my impression on the story and characters is a bit split. I do enjoy the fast-paced action and the familiar characters, as well as the backstories of some of the original characters, but I feel that some of the showā€™s content is a little uncomfortable to watch. I had a similar problem with some scenes in F/SN, and it seems to be more of the same here. Donā€™t get me wrong, I will continue watching the show at some point. Itā€™s just that Iā€™m going in each episode a little cautious here.

You can read my full thoughts on Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua on the following links:

As for the other games/anime in the series, I have no experience with them, and I doubt I will be tackling them anytime soon.

1 Like

I thought I would start a conversation or liven up what was going on by asking a few questions to everyone.

1. What is your favorite Fate series and why?
  2. What is your favorite servant class and why?
  3. Who is your favorite servant and why?
  4. Who is your favorite master and why?
  5. Which servant do you hate the most (apart from Gilgamesh, everybody hates him.)?

Here are my answers:

1. Fate/Apocrypha must be my favorite series. I like it so much because of how it is structured. Normally, the series is a free for all between each masters; however in this one, the masters create two ā€œteamsā€, the red and the black and they have a bunch of really cool servants like Mordred and Siegfrieds, two of my favorite sabers after Artoria.

2. My favorite servant class must be Caster. My reason is because of how strong their noble phantasm usually are. To give examples from Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero, Medea had a dagger that can literally steal command seal and thus servants from other masters. Also Medea is a strong enough caster that she was able to summon her own servant. Gilles de Rais, from Fate/Zero has a book that grants him infinite magic fuel and an army of demons. So yeah, if I had to choose a servant I would definitely take a caster. They might not be the most charismatic of servants, but they are stupidly strong.

3. My favorite servant is without a doubt Artoria. Iā€™m quite biased about that, but I also have quite logical reasons. First of all she is the most well developed character in the whole Fate franchise. her character was created to reflect the virtues of honor, justice and chivalry; making her a really nice character. Also, I really enjoyed her whole background story, explaining why king Arthur was actually a woman without any one knowing. It may seem far fetched at first, but I like the originality of the idea. Character design-wise she is gorgeous, her clothes are either bad-ass or adorable. She is a strong independent woman when she needs to, but she keeps a feminine side that she only shows up every now and then, which makes her a really lovable character.

4. My favorite master must be Emiya Shirou. At first I did not like him at all when i started Fate/Stay Night. To me he was just an annoying brat with silly ideal who did not know what he was doing. However, as the story progressed, i got really attached to the character. Especially after learning Archerā€™s true identity. This whole parallel universe story makes him a really interesting character. He was badly represented in the anime unfortunately, but the Shirou from the Visual novel is a real bad-ass who deserves my respect.

5. Finally, the Servant I hate the most. It is hard to choose someone that is not Gilgamesh for this one, but Iā€™ll do my best. The least likable servant for me must be CĆ¹ Chulainn, the lancer from Fate/Stay Night. Donā€™t get me wrong, I do not believe he is an asshole or something like that, I just find him to be bland in comparison to the other servants of this war. In the other works, there were some insignificant heroes, but when it happened, there were many of them in the same series. In Fate/Stay Night, however, all the servants are either, fantastic characters like saber or mysterious ones like assassin, who does not have an important role, but who has a mysterious aura, giving him some kind of flavor. I just find lancer to be a bland Servant of the war which really pisses me off, so itā€™s not really the character himself, but the role he has in the series.

Fate/Zero. I think itā€™s the only one that was enjoyable and exciting all the way through. It did a good job of bringing me back each week.

Berserker. They are almost always a great character. Youā€™ve got Heracles and Lancelot of course, great guys. Then you have (Extra Rami route) Arcueid, (GO) Kiyohime, and (CCC) Elizabeth.
Plus, most of the good servants from other classes can also be Berserkers, so yay~

Saber Extra, hands down. Maybe itā€™s because the protag was something to project onto, and your servant actually felt like a companion. I only ever did the Saber routes, so I canā€™t be sure, but sheā€™s the first servant who seemed trustworthy, understandable, powerful and interesting all at once.

Uuuuh, the masters are kinda sucky. Probably Illya. Canā€™t go wrong with Illya.

I wouldnā€™t say I hate any of them, but even then, there arenā€™t many dislikeable servantsā€¦ Probably EMIYA. If we included masters though, Iā€™d say Lilā€™ Ronnie.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œDMB, post:24, topic:1783ā€]
What is your favorite Fate series and why?
[/quote]I think FSN, just because it was the first Fate-thing I experienced and it left the strongest impression. Zero is very good for what it is, and certainly a great story, but I just wasnā€™t as into it as I was in SN, and Rider was pretty much the only servant in that that I liked

What is your favorite servant class and why?
[/quote]Quite hard to say, every class has its ups and downsā€¦ no idea tbh^^

Who is your favorite servant and why?
[/quote]Emiya-Archer probably, because heā€™s the most interesting in the main-story, but thereā€™s a bunch of others that deserve honorable mentions, like Red Saber, Zero-Rider, FSN-Riderā€¦

Who is your favorite master and why?
[/quote]Uffā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ Illya and Shirou?

Which servant do you hate the most
[/quote]Zero-Caster, definitely Zero-Caster, holy crap did that guy piss me off, FZ wouldā€™ve been much better if that guy and his ******** of a master didnā€™t exist

1 Like

Favorite Fate series:
Fate/Zero. Unlike S/N, it felt like an actual Holy Grail war, a Battle Royal of actual (mostly) experienced magi battling each-other with all the skills and knowledge they have acquired over their lifetimes. There was strategy, there were intrigues, there were grudges and there was madness. Every character had a meaningful role. Most magi and servants were badass. Overall very enjoyable in many different ways. And the clash of ideals was just so incredible. My favorite scene, by the way, is the banquet of Kings, where Rider (and Archer), showed Saber the glaring flaws of her ideals. I was convinced that a king is supposed to serve his country, not the other way around. But I had no choice but to fully agree with Rider in that scene, which was kind of a shock. It really got me thinking.

Favorite servant class:
This is a tricky question. Iā€™ll go with Berserker. You can explicitly pick this class and it makes your servant stronger in exchange for taking away his sanity. If the servant is already strong to begin with, like it was the case in F/SN and F/Z, the berserker class makes him even more badass. Heracles seemed nearly unbeatable most of the time and Lancelot could match Gilgameshā€™s crazy noble phantasms and hurt his pride every time they met. A berserker class servant must have gone berserk at least once in his life. So itā€™s kind of interesting to find out why. While Berserkers donā€™t talk a lot, they do manage to put messages into their actions.

Favorite servant:
Gilgamesh. Yes, not everyone hates him. Unlike in F/SN, where Gilgamesh is a villain who appears just to do bad things, in F/Z, Gilgamesh is an amazing character with an outstanding personality. His pride and arrogance are immesurable, his lines are abolutely elegant and itā€™s actually really hard to figure out whether heā€™s really a bad guy or not. He doesnā€™t kill for fun but he shows no mercy to those standing in his way. If he wants something, he goes and gets it. After all, itā€™s already rightfully his. His position as the one true king is not for show. He acts it 100%. He is the law and he always stays true to his ideals. Once he does acknowledge someone, like Alexander, he shows absolute respect. He knows humans well and he could easily see through Kireiā€™s true nature. Every F/Z scene (and some F/SN) were a blast to watch. Merely hearing him talk is fun.
And letā€™s not forget: Gilgamesh had the mental fortitude to withstand the grail itself. Even all the sins in the world were not enough to corrupt him.

Favorite master:
Emiya Kiritsugu. This is a man who knows exactly what he wants and how to accomplish it. His actions are full of certainty and decisiveness. He always has his priorities straight. His tactics are merciless but extremely effective. He can make even the most outstanding Magi, such as Lord Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald, look like snotty brats. Of course he can. He is their natural enemy, a predator. He doesnā€™t overpower his opponents with flashy moves. He employs cunning strategies that catch them off-guard. His ability to act rationally and discard all emotions while pulling the trigger in any situation is both a talent and a curse. It enables him to accomplish incredible things, but denies him a life of happiness, burdening him with immense guilt.
He once dreamt of being a hero, but faced a cruel reality. He couldnā€™t save everyone, so he focused on saving the many while sacrificing the few. When it comes to ā€œdoing workā€, he turns into a cold an efficient machine. Ironically, he was able to teach a machine how to become a human and was rewarded with a warm and loving family.

Most hated servant:
Gilles de Rais a.k.a. Bluebeard. Gotta hate child murderers. He had no style, no pride as a magi or a servant and was arguably more confused than Berserker. His role in F/Z was rather bland, too: Being an obvious evil for the righteous heroes to battle. He didnā€™t have an objective in mind when he appeared and the objective he set for himself later on (ā€œfreeingā€ Saber, who he thought was Jeanne Dā€™Arc in his madness), was based on a mistake.

5 Likes

I really like how you see Gilgamesh and your analysis of his personality. I hate him a lot less than I used to after reading your post. Thank you. :slight_smile:

I recommend Strange Fake for some Gilgy Glory. He gets some good moments in it.

1 Like

Loved this scene as well~ Itā€™s as if Nasu and Urobochi were talking side by side and it was just fun to watch Saber, Gilgamesh and Rider chatter about kingly(?) matters and see their perspective about wars and such.

I so much enjoyed watching him corrupt Kirei bit by bit on F/Z. Iā€™m not too fond about him in F/SN since it portrayed him more like a villain than simply being Gilgamesh but heā€™s an interesting character nevertheless.

FSN Gilgamesh is much more enjoyable if youā€™ve seen FZ first, I have to say.

I like Fate/Strange Fake as well. However, it is not canon.

Well, F/SN made it pretty clear that Saber is the strongest, soā€¦ XD

Itā€™s a really close toss-up between Saber, Lancer and Gilgamesh. I like Saberā€™s character in Fate, and I felt that Nasu did a good job of duplicating the whole chivalry thing onto her character. (And Saber is obviously best girl, so that kind of factors into my choice, XD ) Lancer is always such a bro no matter what route you play, but itā€™s regrettable that (Slight Carnival Phantasm Spoilers) he dies every time. At least Carnival Phantasm plays with that fact a lot, and even gives him his chance for revenge. :slight_smile: I like Gilgamesh mainly because of his seiyuu, Tomokazu Seki, and his enjoyably hammy performance as him. XD

Which servant do you hate the most (apart from Gilgamesh, everybody hates him.)?
[/quote]I like Gilgameshā€¦ ;;

My least favorite would have to be True Assassin. All of the Servants are enjoyable characters, but True Assassin just doesnā€™t stand out to me. :confused:

2 Likes

Nah, Saviour class would outclass it. Also Ruler.

Though both those are rare.

ā€¦

I feel like this thread wonā€™t be as deep as I want.

EDIT: I guess Iā€™ll do the thing,

Extra has the most interesting setup and build, so Iā€™m gonna go with that. I havenā€™t touched Apocrypha or Grand Order yet, for note.

Caster because mages are fucking cool

The playable Caster/Extra, Tamamo-no-Mae, for being incredibly entertaining and fun as a character while not compromising a rather sad backstory. Sheā€™s well written. Notable for having a boring Noble Phantasm as far as gameplay mechanics go but at the same time being INCREDIBLY BROKEN if it was in the main series.

Iā€™m pretty fond of Rani from Extra, she was an interesting character. Sheā€™s probably one of my favourite general Type-Moon characters under Touko Aozaki.

Shoutouts to Tokiomi, Bazett, and can I say Ayaka as well? Yeah? Cool.

STILL GILGAMESH.

1 Like

Maybe CCC, but I found that Extraā€™s story really began to drag near the end.

Doesnā€™t help that the gameplay mechanics were boring anyway.

1 Like

Has anyone played Fate/ Grand Order or is currently playing it?

lol no iOS version yet

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Kotomine discover the evil within him in Fate/Zero. Having read F/SN beforehand, I knew what kind of a person he was capable of being, and was honestly a little thrown off guard when he seemed soā€¦ normal at the beginning of F/Z. Seeing him slowly discover his love for the pain and despair of others, and seeing even Gilgamesh being captivated and interested in a mere Human, was enough to make me enjoy it all the more.

And agreed, F/Z has much more going for it in terms of pure potential. You have highly trained and lethal individuals with the Servants they specifically sought after vying for the Grail. You also had the contrasting hidden reasons, be it the end of war, total despair, recognition, etc.

This is one where Iā€™d honestly have to choose based on the situation and layout of the battle. In an instance such as F/SN, where a key leyline is readily available, Caster isnā€™t a terrible choice. However, for all around versatility, Saber/Archer would likely be my personal preferences. You just have to be sure to make the best use of what you have. And, of course, if pride and honor arenā€™t your thing, have a small arsenal available to do some dirty work yourself on unsuspecting Masters.

As much as I hated the arrogant bastard after reading F/SN, I have to completely agree with everything youā€™ve said here. Gilgamesh is a man who knows precisely what he wants, and will do whatever he feels necessary to accomplish his goals. If I had to point out one flaw in Gilgameshā€™s character, it would be his superiority complex toward EMIYA/Shirou for being a ā€œfakeā€ for the obvious reasons. I can say with certainty that it was Fate/Zero that changed my attitude toward him. His interactions with Tohsaka, and subsequently Kotomine, were absolutely fantastic to see.

I knew after reading F/SN that Kiritsugu had to have had one hell of a childhood, but damnā€¦ I was totally not ready to see exactly how screwed up his past had been. All of your points above are mirrored in my thoughts, but Iā€™ll go one step farther and toss in his complete ability to disregard even family when the need to pull the trigger arises. The deep-seated anguish set in his heart from his inability to kill Shirley before she turned the entire island into Dead Apostles led him to never hesitate again. Be it his father, his adopted mother, or even his daughter, he never once hesitated to pull the trigger after that moment. We see glimpses of the pain he feels with each instance, but I think the ultimate display is the listless and dead way he digs through the rubble in the aftermath of the Grail seeking anyone, anything to justify his actions. Because in his mindā€™s eye, heā€™d sacrificed so much, so many times, and for what? His goal was shattered, and even his attempt to end the Grail War in a single strike had led to hundreds and thousands of deaths of totally innocent people.

Yeahā€¦ I canā€™t add much here, except screw this guy in particular.

2 Likes

Currently playing it on Bluestacks with 5 Star Saber Artoria Pendragon

1 Like

Finally another player :smiley:
I also have 5 star Artoria and 5 star Atilla. I also have the rider from Fate/ Stay night and a couple of other silver cards.
How far are you in the game?
Iā€™m personally only in Rome at the moment, havenā€™t been playing it a lot since it was always on maintenance, but I got some pretty good pulls, especially for support cards.

1 Like