Currently Airing Anime

Do you guys know each other IRL?

Thatā€™s the secret of the world.

1 Like

Totally agree with @Kanon. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is a goddamn masterpiece and has potential to be Anime of the Year for me. Of course I am biased towards the romance/drama genre and everything but itā€™s still so damn good.

Anyway, like @Takafumi, Iā€™ll be giving a brief overview of what I watched last season:
Ao Haru Ride: Pretty enjoyable and, despite being very Shoujo, it actually had the difference on focusing also on the male protagonistsā€™ problems. Relationship-wise, though, itā€™s moving pretty slowly, as expected from a shoujo manga haha. But itā€™s going somewhere!

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: Absolutely hilarious anime. I came in expecting there to be some romantic tension (first episode was the girl ā€œconfessingā€), but stayed for the amusing relationships between characters

Rail Wars: Dropped like a hot potato after episode 4. I was hoping for it to go into the economic struggle between privatization and state-ownership of train systems butā€¦ We got a stereotypical harem show with a bit of trains =_=

Glasslip: More like glasshit. It was fun the first few episodes because it was letting us on with the relationships happening. Then they started putting too much abstract concepts and they pretty much never told the audience about anything so by the time I realized it was shit, I was in too deep, and watched until the end. Totally wouldnā€™t recommend it to anybody.

Psycho-pass Re-edit: Technically last season even though it was just a re-air of the first Psycho Pass. I actually never had the chance to watch that one. It was really good, and thatā€™s pretty much all I will say about it since itā€™s relatively old haha.

And now for new season!

Sora no Method: Was pretty hyped about this but I am not finding it as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Perhaps itā€™s the execution or whatever, but as Takafumi said, itā€™s starting to get somewhere. As with most anime of this type, I am expecting it to have a grand ending that will sort of justify the kind of boring start. Also am pretty delayed because I wait for Caffeineā€™s (formerly Kaylith) subs and theyā€™ve been slow because of the hubbub of Kaylith shutting down. But hey, totally quality work they are doing!

Psycho-Pas 2: Sorry I wonā€™t join in with the discussion, but, as with SoraMeso, I am waiting for fansubs with this, and Commie has been preeeeetty slow with episode 5. Ep6 is out already and they still havenā€™t released ep5 >_< But itā€™s been pretty good so far, and yeah, more ā€œpsychoā€ definitely.

Fate/Stay Night Ultimate Blade Works: Action is just perfect. ufotable strikes gold again! And since itā€™s a lot more accurate to the VN, I think the story is a lot better. Like Rin suddenly attacking Shirou, which never happened in the old movie? That was a pretty great look into how desperate the grail war is. Pretty damn good.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: This right here. Absolutely beautiful anime. Oh yeah, a funny anecdote; when I started episode 1, I couldnā€™t start it immediately because I listened to the OP like 5 times before continuing. Really great OP.
As for the anime, despite the childish humor (they are middle school kids after all), I love all the subtext happening. Like last episode, when they kept showing Tsubaki having to push Arima just so he would jump in the river, but Kaori just simply jumping being motivation enough for him to do it himself. Says a huge lot about Arimaā€™s character development and how significant Kaori is becoming in his life, compared to his childhood friend. The dialogue is just so colorful as well and I love it~

So yeah, my thoughts so far.

As a huge fan of the VN, Iā€™m super stoked for UBW, but Heavenā€™s Feel is going to be off the fucking charts

1 Like

Saya no Uta and Madoka are deconstructions of common Japanese genres (romance and magical girl, resp.) that get super grimdark pretty fast, I think that mostly represents Urobuchiā€™s style

Fate/Zero is more of an outlier in this regard imo, since he took an existing plot and ran with it

Nope, Iā€™m just @LinkThinks 's waifu apparently.

But but butā€¦

I thought I was his OTP ;_;

You two-timing bastard!

Well, true enough. I canā€™t say I understand the entirety of Urobuchiā€™s style to the point where I can properly explain it to others in a few words. Thereā€™s just so much stuff packed into his works that you can analyze and interpret while the essence of his style is hard to grasp.

IIRC they changed it into a comedy skit in the movie.

Itā€™s okay Peper, thereā€™s plenty of room in the harem.

On a more relevant note, Iā€™m curious how many people watch shows while theyā€™re airing versus waiting for them to finish first. Personally, I like letting a show fully air so I can watch it in one long string without having week long breaks in my immersion. At the same time, I totally understand that itā€™s easier to watch a bunch of shows if you just watch 'em in weekly parts. How do you guys feel about it?

Edit: In retrospect, the currently airing anime thread may not be the best place to ask this. Oh well, answer anyways.

1 Like

ooh, stuff to talk about! this should be fun. Starting from the top:

Hamatora was one of my favorites when the original aired; so I was really looking forward to the second season. unfortunately, I thought the second season was very poorly done, and I even contemplated dropping it about halfway through and for the rest of the season.

for the first episode or two yeah. In the first week of the season this was my personal choice for best of season. I couldnā€™t have been more wrong though, as this show quickly went in a direction that I absolutely hated, and I seriously had problems getting myself to watch the last few episodes. I was really sad that a show with so much potential just threw it out to the wind. That said though, I can agree that the OP was glorious, but even with that I have no plans to watch the second season.

Holy crap something Taka and I agree on. That doesnā€™t happen often. Though I still really enjoyed the middle few episodes, it definitely did fall off a bit before coming back near the end. I highly recommend this show.

100% yep. I wasnā€™t watching it at first, but a couple of friends convinced me to start it. By the end of the season we had 5+ people that would all gather for a viewing party every week. I really hope it eventually gets a second season.

My friends started calling it ā€œLand Nagiā€ and for some reason that stuck. I donā€™t think any of us made it past episode 3 though, it was pretty hard to watch.

[quote=ā€œPepe, post:43, topic:28ā€]
Psycho-pass Re-edit: Technically last season even though it was just a re-air of the first Psycho Pass. I actually never had the chance to watch that one. It was really good, and thatā€™s pretty much all I will say about it since itā€™s relatively old haha.
[/quote]Word for word this is almost exactly what I would have said about this show. I never watched the original when it first aired, but I loved it none the less.

Now on to this seasonā€¦

[quote=ā€œPepe, post:43, topic:28ā€]
Sora no Method: Was pretty hyped about this but I am not finding it as enjoyable as I thought it would be.
[/quote]Continuing with the trend, apparently this is ā€œSky Nagi.ā€ I personally still find it hard to watch (though Iā€™m still doing so) but Iā€™ve heard of a few people who really enjoy it. The music is really good though, Iā€™ll give it that.

[quote=ā€œTakafumi, post:24, topic:28ā€]
Hitsugu no Chaika: AVENGING BATTLE is all the Chaika goodness you could ever want.
[/quote]and more. Iā€™m really enjoying this show, probably more than I should, but that doesnā€™t make it any less fun to watch.

[quote=ā€œTakafumi, post:24, topic:28ā€]
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Budget Works.
[/quote]Fixed. Iā€™ve been pretty vocal about my hatred of the original F/SN anime, but Iā€™m really enjoying this one so far. Maybe sometime in the next few years every anime can look this good.

I didnā€™t even know this was a VN until you told me earlier. A lot of people are throwing hate at this anime, but Iā€™m enjoying it quite a bit so far. I wouldnā€™t put it as the best anime of the season, but its definitely one of my favorites.

[quote=ā€œNaoki_Saten, post:25, topic:28ā€]
Amagi Brilliant Park is this seasonā€™s KyoAni work. Like most things KyoAni has brought out lately, itā€™s good for a laugh.
[/quote]I hate the mascot characters so F***ing much. I actually had the show dropped for a while, but I have since been convinced to pick it back up and will probably keep it for the rest of the season at this point.

Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de is your average school life romcomā€¦ except that it has characters with amazing superpowers which certainly makes it more interesting.
[/quote]Iā€™ve been thinking about picking this up, but Iā€™m still on the fence.

PSYCHO-PASS 2. Now, this is a show for the faint-hearted.
[/quote]Loved the first one, Loving the second one. Hell, Iā€™d love the third and fourth ones too, if they ever decide to go that far.

I think that just about covers it all though. Other than the fact that Iā€™m watching Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai 3 times every week and enjoy the crap out of it each time, but Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s just meā€¦

That ā€œI loved it way before it got adapted!ā€ moment when everyone says they like the animeā€¦
Really, you guys should consider reading the Manga ^^

[quote=ā€œMalignantSeraph, post:51, topic:28ā€]
Iā€™ve been thinking about picking this up, but Iā€™m still on the fence.[/quote]

The main Character is a funny chuuni, btw. Does that help you with your decision? ^^

I just watch whatever interests me whenever I have free time. If itā€™s not complete then that just means I have to spend less time going through it~

It was a different tone to the first season, but as someone who finds anime-comedy utterly boring, I preferred the second season, and I think it brought out the potential of the first season. My hope for more Nice and Hajime screentime kept me going~

I know a lot of people started to dislike it when the protagonist started to get suited to his environment, but I canā€™t imagine it going in a different direction from where it went.

Yay! Finally~ The 9th and the last episode completely won me over. The main cast was so good.

Hoping for a good enough ending to make watching this far worth it ;~;

I hated the F/SN anime and VN. It was a story where you couldnā€™t trust any character, which means I didnā€™t like any character. The only character you knew everything about was Shirou, who was annoying as hell.
But this adaption is really good, and I think itā€™s improved upon the VN in some ways, both by adding new scenes, and by showing off all the action. I think knowing the events of F/Z helps too. Kinda wish that existed before I read the VN ><
I like every other Fate story Iā€™ve been through though. Zero, SF, HA, and Extra were all enjoyable, although Extra wasnā€™t as good as the others.

Judging from how the first episode went, and all the interesting foreshadowing, the story has potential. I can see it dropping in quality very easily, but I can also imagine it being great. Hard to tell how itā€™ll end up~

Staying away from this adaption because I heard it changed some things around. Itā€™s on my radar though, and I might run out of patience and just watch it.

Yeah, I donā€™t actually watch too much while its airing for this reason. I usually watch most of the first episodes, then decide which ones are gonna be really good and save them for after they finish airing. I miss out on a lot of the discussion during the season, but I tend to enjoy them more that way.

LOL! Well it is pretty hard to beat Sea Nagi. I was still okay with the first half of land nagi but then it became shit.

Read a few chapters of the manga, but I thought it lacked ā€œoomphā€ compared to the anime D:

Normally, I watch the first episodes of whatever picks my interest as soon as theyā€™re out and decide which Iā€™ll continue watching. I watch my anime while theyā€™re airing, since I usually pick many. But I sometimes wait for 1 or 2 shows to finish airing, then marathon them. Iā€™ll do that with Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso this season and I really hope this is not another White Album-ish thing. Cause if it turns out to be that, Iā€™m never touching music-related anime ever againā€¦

Forgot to reply to @LinkThinks

I usually like to watch stuff as it goes out. As such, I select 3-5 series that I think I will like. Basically I prioritize anything Romance/Drama :wink:

Then, if one series gets enough important attention, or it simply fell under my radar, I put it on my long backlog

I hope you donā€™t mean White Album 2 as well, because that was brilliant.

(then again I am biased because I like depressing endings)

I loved that ending. Smiles galore. The ship I was on pulled ahead ever so slightly!

1 Like

Still waiting for the announcement of an adaptation of closing chapter ;_;

Oh, I absolutely mean White Album 2 as well, because it was horrible.

At episode 1, I thought itā€™s gonna be brilliant. I thought this Haruki dude has got to be one the most amazing protagonists of all time. But midway through heā€™s become the most worthless and pathetic doormat ever. WA2 literally threw its entire main cast into the dumpster because ā€œmuh humans are so imperfectā€.
Letā€™s face it. It was obvious from the first episode how the relationships are gonna develop. All love triangle-based stories develop the same way. No surprises there. So it was up to the execution to make things special. But the only thing they executed was making wonderful characters absolutely unlikeable by the end. It was brutal.
That airport scene made me cringe. Why do you guys suck face right in front of a heart-broken girlā€™s eyes? Are you sadists?
Even ā€œnice boatā€ wouldā€™ve been a better and more fitting ending than that ā€œand then everything was bad and everyone was miserableā€ conclusion.