Currently Airing Anime

Chaos;Dragon’s a hit or miss, mostly a miss. If you’re expecting big game changers, no, but it’s certainly getting more interesting. The MC is this huge bomb that makes the show unpredictable at times.

Godeater. It’s still pretty bland for me. But it’s finally going somewhere.

The comic relief is what bothers me, tbh. Many of the characters are just there to be a huge joke or something.

In retrospect, the series is getting better but I’m still not sure if the show is aiming for a darker or lighter tone.

Welcome to almost a century old horror and mystery tropes! Though saying that since the investigators themselves are… well… exactly the same as the villains it is a bit… less completely the worst.

It is a mystery show, it’s just not an orthodox mystery show in the Western sense. In that note watching it can give you a new / better understanding of the kinds of techniques that are spoken about, referenced and part of stuff like Umineko and other Japanese mystery things.

I think that’s kinda the point. Like Edogawa Ranpo’s works, unless I’m mistaken, are more well known for his adolescent novels than his adult ones. Yet this kind of grotesque and perverse nonsense or w/e is prevalent and a major cultural part of his works.

Well, I guess there’s no reason strong enough to make me wanna watch 'em again. Thanks for the opinion. I’ve been hearing that the quality per episode is quite unstable, so I guess I won’t.

Anyway, any comments about School-Live / Gakkou Gurashi being on top of the “Best Summer 2015 Anime” poll, or the poll in general?

I’d probably agree. I’m only watching 9 so I might not be the best to answer but so far out of those it’s the only one without a filler episode, only one I’ve looked forward to every single week, only one I care about all the characters, etc.
I’m shocked IDOLM@STER is 8th in general and 5th for men. This season is really bad compared to the first.

I’m sad Rokka isn’t getting as much hype. I absolutely love that show. Introducing a closed room mystery? <3 It’s definitely my kind of story, though I eternally despise the fact I only get 22 minutes of it a week.

@Doublethree1
So far I also thinks that it is the best anime of this season, for now. I really like how they build the tension (especially in the latest episode when Yuki turned on the radio and Miki looked at her being “deranged” as the radio slowly losing power, creating a creepy slowed-down music. It was a very well-made scene. My complaint would be on how in the manga Miki has a more strong and harsh character, while in the anime she seems much more “docile”.
I don’t know why people are raging over the anime being an “unfaithful adaptation” just because it doesn’t follow the manga timeline (like how Miki was introduced right when the story starts). Honestly it doesn’t make the anime less enjoyable. (And there still are so many people complaining how a “moe show” topped the poll. Oh those poor clueless people…)

@ghagler
Yeah, I’m also kinda weirded out that Rokka had so little votes. Rokka is in my top 5 list for this season, and although in the recent episodes they’re having more conversation than action, it is still pretty enjoyable for me. There are so many anime I dropped right after ep.1 rated better than Rokka. But I guess that’s just a matter of taste, right?
Also, who do you think would be the Seventh or Eight Brave?

I have a ton of stuff written about the locked room on reddit, haha. I <3 those kind of mysteries! For now…

My gut instinct says Maura; there’s a theory or two that includes Maura as the culprit for the closed room (revolving around misinformation and her key). However, the evidence points a lot more towards Nachetanya, with her sword ability and all, even though my gut says she’s not guilty.

I’m looking forward to Rokka every week too. I just hope the characters do not drag the story too much with their backstories. The latest episode was kind of weak for me and does nothing much to fuel the story.

If the show’s still good I never care how faithful it is. I tried reading the manga after I think episode 3 because I accidentally read a spoiler and wanted to avoid it again but I just couldn’t get into it. Maybe because I already knew but (episode/chapter 1) Seeing Yuki in the destroyed classroom in the manga didn’t feel like it was built up nearly as well .

I don’t know if anyone else feels the same as I, but I dropped that on Episode 2. 90% of it was all exposition. At that point I had little reason to care, and then they start delivering Nashetania’s entire backstory for no reason at all, when they did very little to make her likable already.

I wouldn’t argue with that. Gakkou Gurashi is awesome, and is tied for my favorite of the season with Non Non Biyori Repeat and Castle Town Dandelion.

Yuuuuuup. I didnt drop it, but I was suddenly extremely bored. I think its probably gotten a bit better since then? I dont know, Im a bit behind.

What’s going on with Gate lately? I dropped it after the fifth episode. It felt like it was stuck setting stuff up but nothing has really happened much except introduce this and her.

Gate has really been more of the same lately. I have yet to finish the recent episode, but so far, it hasn’t improved too much since when it began. I doubt Gate will be stuck in that setting stuff up phase for too long. It’ll definitely get rolling. It also has plenty of time, since it’s two cours.

Hey, I have the same opinion about Maura being the Seventh. She has the key, so it’s very possible that she had already entered the temple before. Although we don’t know how she/anyone else activated the barrier.

As for the whole characters… Adlet is not the culprit, we know that because we saw him getting the Flower sign - unless we’re dealing with unreliable narrator. Nach is innocent, in my opinion, because she’s seem too naive and I don’t think she would dare to mean any harm to anyone. I also believe Flamie and Chamot are not the culprit too. Chamo is too chaotic and I don’t think she could set up a trap to frame someone - she doesn’t look that smart to begin with. I have divided opinion about Nach’s knight-whathisname-. I don’t think he’s the one, but I thought it could be possible that he just want to be with Nach but he wasn’t chosen so he made a fake tattoo, and he seems to be jealous that Nach put so much trust to Adlet. Hans is the most suspicious one, but you know in murder mystery, the most suspicious person can’t be the culprit (lol). That leaves Maura.

Lately Rokka has been full with backstories and such, but it sure is weird that it changed the genre from action adventure to mystery solving. It didn’t bore me so much this far. But we’re already at the 7th episode and still stuck in the same place. We’re not getting anywhere near the Demon Lord.

It’s not an action story really. There’s bits of it, but most of it is what you see now.

Dang, talk about misdirection.
So most of the time they’re gonna mystery-solve? Aw, but that’s fine too. Better mystery anime than Ranpo Kitan.

What, do you mean CG compared to Vanilla, or CG S2 compared to CG S1?

Because yes Vanilla is way better than Cinderella, but no S2 of Cinderella is way better than S1 already because it doesn’t have absolute stupidity setting up a forced conflict.

I’ve unfortunately been informed by manga readers that after this solid world building and setup it turns into FUCKING TRASH HAREM to a hardcore degree so all of the interest for that show has just died for me.

This was my biggest worry for the anime but there were times when the show turns into something else more that keeps me watching. I actually plan to read the manga since the anime was kinda slow for me. I hope it doesn’t end up like another SAO =/

CG S1. I haven’t seen vanilla yet.

idk the first season seemed like a comedy with some drama thrown in (the drama wasn’t very good I admit) but this one seems like drama with comedy thrown in. That’s not a bad thing as I watch dramas but its not what I was expecting.

I found “we’re getting these normal girls to become idols a few at a time, here’s the issues that arise with it” a lot more interesting than “the new girl’s trying to make more money and decides to appeal to the western crowed so she shuts down and changes everyone’s image”.

The “confict” in S1 is “Waaaahhhh why didn’t hundreds of people come see my first show I QUIT BEING AN IDOL WWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHH’” which was absolutely stupid, any conflict based around a character being an idiot and expecting the audience to follow it is atrocious.

The cast becoming idols is just the general plot not a source of drama. S2 has created a villain and a plot to follow and has the whole company coming together which allows them to draw upon the huge roster of characters under Cinderella Girls and so far it’s great.