Currently Airing Anime

Talk about strict. I usually watch the first episode of whatever catches my attention even slightly. Those that I don’t decide to drop, I put into either the “must watch” or “might watch” category. For example, during winter season, Durarara was on “must watch”, while Shirobako was on “might watch”. The “might watch” is the stuff that I turn to when I’m done with all “must watch” for the moment, and still have time to spare, whenever that might be. I sometimes end up not continuing on some of the stuff in that list.

I’m really lenient when it comes to dropping a show. I’m not looking for innovations (those barely exist anymore) or top-tier works. I watch anything that remotely interests me and where there’s more stuff that I like about it than the stuff that I don’t. In other words, I don’t limit myself to stuff that I consider a meaningful contribution to my life and future. It’s a hobby, after all. I’m completely fine with shows that have nothing to offer to me but comedy. I love to have a good laugh.
And from time to time, the leniency pays out. Forget giving it a second chance, if I were stricter about my selection, I never would have even touched Hennneko and missed out on a lot of enjoyment.

Eh, it’s anime. You can drop a bunch and not miss out on anything. I’d rather be doing something I enjoy than giving 20 minutes up on a potentially mediocre show.
At first, yeah 20 minutes sounds fair. There might be something that surprises you, or something that you really connect with… But you can only be fair for so many years before you stop caring. If it isn’t of a certain standard in a small amount of time, I’m not gonna wait for it. Luckily a lot of shows are comedy-centric, and the comedy in anime is awful, so I can instantly cut out half a season of shows.
Anime might be a hobby to you, but not to me~ It’s as much a task as everything else, and you have to be efficient with tasks.

…so when is your manual going on sale? I’d even consider trying to get an autograph…

Jokes aside, I really wouldn’t want Anime to become just another chore. It would defy the purpose of having fun. But I guess we’ll never see eye to eye on this one ^^’

Tip 1: Don’t watch 12+ episodes of anime a day.
Tip 2: Have other hobbies as well.

It’s all well and good to put a lot into a hobby, but mix it up otherwise it becomes a schedule that you feel the urge to live by. I’m the type of person that struggles to get enthusiastic about something, so when I find a hobby, I milk it for all it’s got until I get bored of it. It happens with entertainment, food, work, almost everything, sooo you’ve gotta be ready to adapt at any moment.

In other news, I watched PlaMemo. I think the first episode would have been better if I didn’t know what I was going into, but it wasn’t bad. I’m hoping it follows the same ideas as things like Kino, Kaiba, Kamimemo… The outside look at a person’s life anime.

I find the lack of Metal Gear disturbing.

1 Like

I mean, we’ve got a topic dedicated to it.

So favorites this season at the halfway mark.

-Shokugeki no Soma is my main suprise so far, I’ve enjoyed it so much more than the premise led me to believe I would. As someone who enjoys cooking I like the depth of detail they put into the dishes like the honey breaking down the meat fat, its inspiring me to try a few of the dishes myself.
-Oregaeiru…more 8-man always a winner in my book.
-Punch Line, I knew with Uchikoshi working on this anime it would be something I would be interested in, and the story has had just enough of a hook to keep me in, as it fills like it’s finally heading towards plot advancement.
-Blade Works, Ufotable continues to do what Ufotable does and make everything better that DEEN screws up, still holding out for some CG dolphins

[quote=“Naoki_Saten, post:188, topic:28”]
First of all, I’m patiently waiting for Digimon Adventure tri. Pls make me relive my childhood soon!
[/quote]Little disapointed with the news that this is just going to be movies…

2 Likes

My favorite so far is definitely Plastic Memories. Absolutely love it! I’m really interested to see how they play out the themes going so far; I think it can end up really well done. Don’t drop the ball!

I’ve also loved that Dungeon one with the long name. I read two of the translated LN’s and enjoyed them, and the anime is farther than those now.

Hachiman is great; this most recent one was good.

Let’s see…you may hate me for this, but Etotame has proven ridiculously cute at times, so I watch it. Though the flashing lights and insanity really makes me question how long i’ll last before breaking. Yamada-kun and Re-something are the same, though i’m really behind on them. I actually read the manga for the former.

Also: “I can’t understand what my husband is saying” is brilliant. I also enjoy the other 3-minute one: Comedic Psycho-something Medicine

Plastic Memories dropped the ball when it turned into a 3rd rate romcom with forced drama. I mean, I’m a huge sucker for exactly that, so I actually like it a lot, but it really had the potential to be so much more.

I’m like… A week late on this, but my life was consumed by Star Guardian Lux and FFIV… so I was behind on my anime.
This season is pretty bad. There isn’t that much going on. The only show I was really interested in at the start of the season was Punchline, because it’s a noitaminA show, but there has been a few good shows cropping up over the past several weeks, and more importantly, a bunch of good OP songs. Can I give OP of the season to multiple shows??

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2 is still as good as you’d expect it to be. There are some changes and additions to what content the original provided, which is very nice. It’s no secret that, despite liking the Fate franchise, F/SN was one of the VNs I really didn’t like. The adaption is mostly dodging the problems of the original however, and I’m enjoying it a lot.
Oh, and they finnnnaaally got rid of those horrible Ufotable OPs! They got Aimer to sing instead, and y’know, it isn’t the type of song I’d expect from Aimer, but it’s a surprisingly amazing mix. Unfortunately they still have an awful ED, but hey, they can’t do everything right.

When it started, I wasn’t too sure about Plastic Memories. The start wasn’t very stand-out, so I didn’t have much expectation of it. I kept watching however, because the OP of this show is visually one of the best I’ve seen in years. Hopefully whoever was in charge of directing the OP gets control over the rest of the show. I think, as the weeks pass, the show has stepped it up a bit, and I’m invested in the characters now, so I’ll probably watch this show to it’s end. Speaking of characters, I’ve got to praise the protagonist. He’s young and selfish, but he’s not some overly dramatic school kid who is passionately fixed on his ideals. He’s a guy who questions things he doesn’t agree with (sometimes at the risk of hurting others) but understands that not everything will go in his favor, and sometimes you just need to let others do their job… And the rest of the characters understand this, because they all questioned the same things at some point.
So… it’s a very adult approach to growing up. It’s realistic, and while that might not be what everyone wants from their works of fiction, I enjoy realism. I like the feel of the show too. It feels like a kids show. Anyone else getting that vibe?
Sherry best girl btw. Oh, and here’s a countdown for those of you already watching the show.

Punchline is, as I said earlier, the only show I looked forward to before the season began. It’s the one that actually has promise.
The story is… It’s structured in a way that’s similar to Kingdom Hearts, a story that I adored. There is a face-value story going on, but if you actually pay attention to what’s going on, you can figure out whole chunks of the story before they even happen. I love that.
While it does annoyingly remove some complexity from the story, Punchline still looks to be a good mystery story.
Also, surprisingly, there’s not that much fanservice, and what fanservice there is gets quickly shoved aside or goes unnoticed. The OP though… most catchy OP with weird lyrics since DearS’ Love Slave. Oh, and that pink haired girl is great. She’s like the Kanon Otosaki of the season.

I think everyone who is watching Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo knows why they picked the show up…
Cute protagonist wooooo! Actually all the characters are pretty good looking >.> It’s a pretty show.
In all seriousness though, I picked this show up because of the body swap thing. Those types of stories are usually pretty cool. At first, the witch hat theme in the OP was kinda off-putting, like it wanted to develop into something more serious… I like the show as it is now though, so I hope it doesn’t go too off the rails. Despite not liking the theme in the OP, I like the use of it. The progression of the hats is very smart, and man, that kiss at the end. Best couple hands down. Totally gonna read the manga once the anime is finished too.
It was really hard to decide between Yamada-kun, UBW, and PlaMemo, but I’m gonna give Yamada-kun OP of the season, because ugh that singer has such a nice voice, and the piano is godly. UBW’s OP isn’t something I’d listen to daily, and PlaMemo’s has an average middle surrounded by an amazing start and end.

I’ve only watched 6 episodes of Arslan Senki, so my opinion on it isn’t up-to-date, but I feel like this show is going the same way as Parasyte did. It started of entertaining, but now we’re at a midway lull where I’m not sure if I like the show or not.
It’s very clearly intending to be the story-focused anime of the season, so let’s hope it’s story is good enough to warrant that decision. The OP is great though. It’s more UVERworld-ey than any UVERworld song I’ve heard.

Now for the awkward bit… My ED of the season goes to Owari no Seraph… I’m really far behind on it, so I don’t have opinions on the show yet, but the ED is pretty nice. Yamada-kun is the only other show with a good ED this season.

I still plan on watching Re-Kan!, Denpa Kyoushi, Jewelpet, Kekkai Sensen, Show By Rock!!, Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku, Ore Monogatari!!, and the new Nisekoi, but they are all low priority, so I might skip a few~

Without going too much into detail, here’s what I think of the shows this season:

• Denpa Kyoushi is a bit eh, a friend told me the manga is better
  • DanMachi is awesome, one of my favorites this season
  • KinMosa is, as expected, nice and relaxing, need my weekly dose of Ayaya
  • Euphonium is meh, I’m 3 or 4 episodes behind though, maybe something interesting happened there
  • Kekkai Sensen is a strange case, it has potential but the lack of a proper story in a setting like this is a huge mistake imo, still kinda enjoyable to watch though
  • Yuki-chan is kinda amusing, but doesn’t quite manage to keep me interested, Asahina boob-missile was funniest scene so far
  • Nisekoi is a good adaption, love the manga
  • Ore Monogatari is fun, that’s pretty much all I have to say about this one^^
  • Owari no Seraph is good, even though I’m not quite sure where the plot is supposed to be going, “kill all vampires” is hardly a main-plotline
  • Plastic Memories is good, but at the same time kind of disappointing, because I think the idea is great, but could’ve been executed a lot better
  • Punch Line is probably the most underrated show this season, I think the complexity is great, wasn’t surprised when I found out who wrote the script :smiley:
  • Re-kan was amusing at first, but got rather boring after a while
  • Souma started out really weird, but by now it’s another one of my favorites, really fun to watch
  • OreGairu is top, period.^^
  • Yamada is good too, Nao a best, her episode was great

As for FSN/UBW… I love the VN, but ufo did not do their best job with this adaption, especially the defining scene of UBW of Archer vs Shirou, that was a disaster… it’s still a good enough show for what it is, but when viewing it as an adaption it disappointed me, which is sad because I really wanted this to be one of the best shows I’ve ever seen :frowning:

When the season started I also tried Show by Rock, Houkago no Pleiades, Kyoukai no Rinne and Triage X, but dropped all of them after 1-2 episodes

Making a Top 3 for this season is really hard, because OreGairu, Nisekoi, KinMosa, DanMachi, Souma and FSN (yes, even tho it’s disappointing, that’s how much I want to like it T_T ) all deserve to be in it… will have to think a lot about this^^

really? I’m not really liking it as an adaptation (standalone it’s fine though). I know it’s not really Shaft’s fault that the manga became full of filler and they’re trying to cut around but they’ve done some chapters out of order (making Haru appear in episode 5 but not officially appear until episode 7. I also found it weird they adapted Magical Pâtissière Kosaki! and didn’t even attempt to fit it in. All of a sudden the go from magical girls to normal students, they could have at least pulled the “it’s a dream!” thing.

Interesting stuff happens, but it’s KyoAni, so they have to make sure it’s not good for most of an episode.

Most of the big story elements right now are anime original actually. Quite nice additions.

So rushed though x.x I really want to read the manga, because the past 3 episodes have felt messy.

Total opposite for me. VN was garbage, anime is pretty great. I feel like the release of F/Z might have changed my opinions on the franchise, but F/SN was just dull and annoying for the young me. I’m gonna revisit it though since it had a bunch of new content added.

Could someone explain Punch Line to me? Back when I watched the first episode, all I saw was a weird mess of incoherent scenes and fanservice, with no hint at what the show is even about. I never even watched the second episode and by now, I forgot most of what happened in the first one…
So I’m confused about the praise the show is getting

Here you go buddy.

Long story short, it’s an interesting mystery show, with a colourful cast and a deceptively low focus on fanservice. It’s not amazing, but I think it’s one of the better shows of the season.

Too short! You’re not explaining anything. You’re just repeating some things from your previous post on the series, which I’ve read long before. I wouldn’t be asking about the series if this thread had provided enough information for me to understand it any better. If anything, I’m even more confused, since you’re calling it a mystery, which doesn’t appear as a genre of this series on the info sites I’m looking it up on.

I have yet to read an explanation to the series, I have yet to understand it and I most certainly don’t get the connection between Busjacking, superheroes, ghosts, panties and the end of the world.

Because the info sites only classify it based on the first few episodes. The mystery is only just starting now

That’s the mystery~ They’re all connected :wink:

And I think it’s that connection that makes it so interesting. That breaking of regular expectations when it comes to anime, and being served something totally different.

Heeey Pepe finally gets it XP

I don’t want to throw out spoilers.

A lot of sites get the genre of shows wrong until the show actually finishes airing. It’s all guesswork.

The explanations for those things show up in the first 3 episodes.pretty much.

I’d argue it’s been there since the start, but… I have been since the start. The mystery was pretty present in the synopsis I read before starting the show.

It’s not my fault that episodes1 through 3 were extremely hard to stomach. Only after ep 5 did it get truly interesting

Alas, it was overshadowed by the stupidity