Community Event #2: Shooter Power Hour!

Its about time to start another one of these, and between the (mostly) slow songs we did on osu and the general chill atmosphere of the KazaCraft project that we have going I think its about time to bump up the pace. With that in mind, we will be playing an FPS for this event. Unfortunately, not everyone has a computer that can play shooters, though I’m not exactly sure just how big that group is, so I was going to throw up a couple possible games and look to you guys for input on which would be best. If you have a specific game you would like to play that’s not on the list, go ahead and bring it up. It’s not exactly limited to these games; they’re mainly meant to be a starting point. Anyway, my original ideas are as follows:

Team Fortress 2: A now free to play classic shooter available on Steam. Compared to most other shooters, this one has fairly low system requirements, so just about everyone should be able to run it.

Tribes Ascend: Another a free to play available on Steam. I have not personally played this game, but from what I hear it sounds pretty fun. Jetpacks, Skiing and a slew of pretty interesting looking classes; this game should run on most decent systems.

Planetside 2: While heavily based on micro-transactions, this game is “technically” free to play, but you might want to put in a little money for that extra bonus if you’re interested. Unfortunately, this game has pretty high system requirements, so unless you have a modern system you might run into problems getting it working.

Titanfall: One can dream, right? Giant robots, jetpacks, parkour, unique game modes, and well flowing maps make this game one hell of an experience to play. I can honestly say that I’ve never had a dull moment in this game. There are a lot of problems with doing an event with this game though, the biggest of which being the price tag.

Considering that it might take a while for people to get comfortable with these games, I’m going to be a bit lax and set the date as June 14 probably around 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning my time(UTC -7) again. The date is subject to change though, in the event that we need more time.

If you have a game you specifically want to play or know your computer can/can’t run one of them, post about it. I’ll be looking at what people said and using that to decide which one we play.

I’d love to play either tf2 or tribes, and I’m afraid they’re the only games I can manage to run on my computer too. I might even still struggle to run them, last time I played tf2 I didn’t get a good framerate even with maxframes configs. Just ran tf2, getting good framerates, probably depends on the map.
I should be able to help out newbies to these two games too. I’ve played almost 1.5k hours of tf2 and quite a bit of tribes (don’t know my hours for that).

TF2 or Tribes would be good for the community. I’d love to play Planetside, but I dunno if that’d work well as a community game. Doesn’t seem as accessible, but I’d still like to get a game going! Titanfall is out of the question because of the price point.

Dunno if I’ve mentioned it on the forums, but I’ll use this time to draw attention to the official Kazamatsuri.org Steam Group.

Um, my computer can’t run any of those games, ahaha~ ^^; I’ll be at a convention on that day, sooo I’ll definitely be sitting out again. Hope everyone has fun with it though!

honestly, TF2 was (from my point of view) the last resort. Especially considering how much time some people have on it, I only wanted to go there if the vote was unanimous or if people would have problems running everything else. Titanfall was on the exact opposite of the spectrum. I would never tell the community to “buy a brand new game to come hang out with us” but if we somehow magically had 5-10 people that had the game and wanted to play then maybe we could have an event for that. (community event 2.5 perhaps? hell, I’d even settle for one or two buddies to play it with as an after party)

I probably should have communicated this earlier, but we will be attempting to play Tribes: Ascend and if for any reason that doesn’t work we will switch over to Team Fortress 2.

Hope to see you guys there!

I’ll mark it on my calendar~

A bit of a slow start, but this event was mildly successful. Thanks to the people who joined, and for those who didn’t, I should have the next thread up within a few days this time, so hopefully you will be able to make it to that.