CLANNAD - Akio Furukawa Character Discussion

Character discussion thread for Akio Furukawa. Spoilers from CLANNAD are OK! But please tag any references to outside works with [spoiler], with adequate context provided in parenthesis. His birthday is the 20th of July.

2 Likes

Akio is such a fantastic character.
Obligatory post of this video:

1 Like

Akio had some of the funniest and most emotional moments of the After Story route. Akio route best AS route. The laser tag game was great too.
I think we came to the conclusion in the Skype chat that Akio > Nagisa.

2 Likes

Akio is awesome. He was a great supporting character, helped both Tomoya and Nagisa in solving their problems and overall, he was a great role model. Additionally, he provided a decent amount of comedy in both Clannad and After Story and we cannot forget this…

MORE LIKE AKIBRO AMIRITE.

The thing I like most about Akio is how he takes on a father figure role for Tomoya. Lord knows the kid needed it.
Maeda just writes dudes BETTER.

3 Likes

I really wish they’d done his route in the anime.

Eh? He has a route in the VN that wasn’t animated? Damn I need to finish the Clannad VN.

Yep! It splits off of the Cohabitation chapter of After Story, IIRC.

I ingested excess amount of bread in his honor.

When you realise how far he goes for his daughter’s smiles in his daily life, I am reminded a lot of Masato. The best kind of comic relief.

Now ok lemme point out that I don’t know Japanese at all. But by looking up his name in a kanji lookup thingy we find a fun little bit over here.

That feel when Akio is a girl. :sunohii:

1 Like

Anyone notice how Yukine’s incantation to cancel Akio’s storage room curse ties directly to his route? To break the curse with Akio, you have to say “Speed like Keanu Reeves” 3 times fast. I think it’s pretty safe to assume that movie was inspiration for his route. Idk if anyone else noticed/cared but that blew my mind when I read the VN.

I like how Akio’s character is basically a man who never stopped being a kid at heart. He likes making jokes, playing baseball and acting like a complete moron when circumstance permits him to. He reminds me quite a bit of my own father (and by extension, myself) in terms of personality. In fact, my family in general is pretty goofy, but I digress. Akio’s proven how relatable a character he is in this small character arc of his.

Still, out of all the character arcs in After Story, Akio’s is probably the least eventful, and yet has its own ending. Sure, it does establish the parallel between TomoyaDango and Akio, and it gives us a glimpse of how strong the bond between Akio and Sanae is. Other than that, nothing significant really happens. If it weren’t required to get the last light, it would be little more than a fun little side route that shows off more of Akio’s character than we got to see before.

With nothing left to prove for Dango, he has finally gained a sense of who he is and what he must do. It is now up to Tomoya to set things right, not just for his own sake but for the sake of those who have put their trust in him. Next up is the true end of After Story~! ^o^/

2 Likes