Charlotte - Yuu Otosaka Character Discussion

Skyhigh Saito is really going to be in for a surprise when he trips and falls off the edge of a cliff and only realizes he lost his power inches from the ground.

5 Likes

Saitoā€™s power is going to play an important role in the climax, I can feel it.

The real question isā€¦ Is there any chance he can retain powers across the time leaps? If not memories, then why not powers?

Very interestingā€¦I doubt it would work out that way, because I think our Yuu is still a different Yuu from the one in the other timeline, and the memories are merely an echo. A more likely scenario that I can see is that Yuu plunders the time leap power, then plunders a bunch of other powers and leaps back to before they were plundered, so he can retain the powers without the other person losing them.

This is assuming, of course, that he actually retained those memories and didnā€™t ohā€¦ I dunnoā€¦ havesomeoneartificiallyimplantthemehem

(It seems like Iā€™m the only one making a big deal out of these memories thing)

Iā€™m just convinced that the explanation for why he has those memories will be unsatisfactory, or there wonā€™t be one. Key magic :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Aspi, the eternal pessimist. I guess you canā€™t be disappointed if your expectations are low enough.

I think you may be right on this one, Iā€™m expecting no real explanation for how Yuu kept his memories.

Uguuā€¦
Iā€™m actually subscribed to the possibility that the writers consider this a non-issue and wonā€™t even tackle it.

Sala has the power to make people remember things though music.
Blue-kun flicked a switch on his memories with his power once Ayumi died and the music just triggered it.
Yuu remembers because heā€™s siblings and the music just triggered it.
NaoNao planned this.
Onii-chan can selectively choose who remembers and the music just triggered it.
Shrug.
Yuu remembers because he was brought back in time with Onii-chan, then Blue-kun did a soft erase.

Pick one.

Say what? Iā€™ve been one of the most optimistic people about this show! Have you heard my views on the podcast?

Hereā€™s my wild guess: Shunsukeā€™s power can turn back time as in resetting events, but it doesnā€™t reset memories of those most affected by the changes.

All of your options implies that he ā€œremembersā€ something. Problem is, this isnā€™t even a memory that he is supposed to have in a first place.

The burning question in my mind is how can these memories transcend alternate timelines, and I wonā€™t be satisfied by a simple ā€œitā€™s always been there, just that they erased itā€ sort of explanation.

Except for one:

Soā€¦ maybe

It was a joke. But I think even the most optimistic of us are starting to get worried about the direction of the show.

The only reason why Iā€™m worried, was because Jun Maeda said he never saw episode 13 yet. Episode 13 is the ending though :sweat::sweat::sweat:
I have a question. If Yu uses Plunder on a human without supernatural powers, does it affect the humans, as in health, or even life ?

So far we arenā€™t certain, however when he ā€œplunderedā€ the patient with telepathy the patient seemed to fine, just confused. If anything I believe that he actually takes their power away, only because we he took the power of the boy who could faze through walls the boy stayed behind without even attempting to get through the wall himself. But yeah, other than that, there doesnā€™t appear to be an severe consequences from the individual who Yuu takes the power from

Iā€™d like to come here and talk about Yuu and his personality here for a second. A lot of people think that Yuu is somebody devoid of personality; that he is a faceless protagonist. While that may have been true for episodes 2-5, I honestly think otherwise from thereon out.

Iā€™ve been pretty much spurred by this post in the Ep 11 topic:

Calling him a ā€œone man armyā€ is overly simplifying things; he was a pathetic selfish brat ever since the beginning. Once he had no reason to follow what he was told, he continued being the selfish brat that he was, without anything else to keep him in check. That was the entire episode 7: Yuu and his selfishness going over the top.

But after that, I really did not feel like he was ā€œback to being no oneā€. Itā€™s those little things that made me think that. Like how he wolfed down his food the minute Nao called them (which he didnā€™t do in episode 6). And how he reacts over the possibility of a new power user. By episode 8, he is no longer a puppet that follows the student council; he is a person determined to fulfill the goals of the student council.

He shows his own pathetic-ness once again at Episode 11 simply because thatā€™s how he used to beā€¦ but he gets over it. Imagine what he would do if the events of Episode 6 and 7 never happened? I personally think that he wouldnā€™t even push through with the plan if he didnā€™t gain that development from episodes 6 and 7, and that would have pushed the story in a different direction (I wonā€™t comment on whether its a better direction or not; it would just be different).

So, now, what is Yuuā€™s personality? He was a selfish brat, but he has changed since then. He became somebody more determined because he realizes the gravity of his own decisions. He still loves his sister, but he now would entirely support working towards helping other ability holders. The fact that he personally questions the scientist about a cure for the power-holders is proof enough.

That is one of the few developments Iā€™ve seen in Charlotte, and it makes me believe that Yuu has a larger personality than any of the other characters in the series (I know, I know, that isnā€™t saying much).

5 Likes

I think the real weak part of Yuuā€™s character was from episode 2-5. In episode 1 we saw this conniving self-important monster, and we watched his downfall. But from episode 2-5 we didnā€™t even see a hint of that former character, and we didnā€™t have enough development for the striking change.

What I would have liked to see in episode 2 is a caged monster needing to be broken of his former habits. While he didnā€™t seem happy being in the student council, he still seemed resigned to it. It would have been nice to show some scenes of him trying to dig up dirt on Nao and Joujirou, who he saw as a his jailers, or learn the secrets of the school itself, which was his prison. This could have even prompted some good exposition and foreshadowing, as he learned that the school switched hands under strange circumstances only a few years ago. Sure, he would still play the part of a good student council member, helping on their missions and such, but he would have been doing it to cover up his intention to escape, which would have been a completely different characterization.

Yuuā€™s development in episodes 6-7 shouldnā€™t really be in question. Those were the most well-earned changes in the series, but I would say they were undercut by the weak characterization in 2-5. What we saw was a change from Neutral to Horrible to Good, and I would have rather seen a change from Bad to Horrible to Good. Hell, it would have made the Nao scene in 7 even more intense as Yuu confesses to his snooping and sneaking and Nao simply replies ā€œI know.ā€

Episode 7 gave him character, but I canā€™t relate it to anything we saw of him in the past. Itā€™s a very isolated character.
He was extreme for the sake of extremity.
There isnā€™t a nice smooth progression for Yuu.
There is Selfish Yuu, no one Yuu, extreme Yuu, and Yuu who remembers that there needs to be a plot.

After not eating proper food for what could be months? Like pretty much every other human on the planet would do? Doesnā€™t sound like a personality trait to me.

He definitely did change focus, they bashed that into your head throughout the episode. What does that change about his personality though? What was there to change?
He maybe says one more sentence in a conversation than previously. Now instead of going along with things silently, he goes along with thingsā€¦ quietly.
They changed nothing into a slightly different nothing.

And I thought that scene was awful. It felt very out of place.

Heā€™s either run or do what other people tell him to. Whatever requires the least amount of character to get through.

And that is an incredibly vague character description.
ā€œHeā€™s determined sometimes. He helps people that matter to him. He is used to dump exposition sometimes.ā€
Dude needs more than 60 minutes of personality, and he needs some coherency to his character.
Can you imagine trying to act as this guy? His poses would all be from pre-release material, his memorable phrases would all be from episodes 1 or 7, and sometimes heā€™d say a joke that isnā€™t fitting of the atmosphere.

Really? I kind of relate it pretty well with Episode 1 Yuu. And he didnā€™t really change all the way from episode 2-6, so this is pretty much a natural, albeit extreme progression.

But who can blame him for making that extreme progression? Something pretty fucking extreme did just happen to him.

Seems I didnā€™t clarify; this was in Episode 8 when Nao called them from the cafeteria, and not the Omurice scene in Episode 7.

His personality totally changed! His entire motivation in doing these things changed, and Iā€™d say thatā€™s a big part of his personality. What he does is the same, but his personality when doing it is different.

It was pretty out-of-place but at the same time, very human.

If I were in Yuuā€™s place, I would also follow what Shunsuke said, simply because, at the time, it would make sense. He isnā€™t blindly following their orders; heā€™s doing it because he knows it is something he must do in order to save Nao and Kumagami.

In a different situation, where he does have the option to think of other choices, then he would have done so. Episode 8, again, is an example, where he brought it upon himself to bring Sala to Naoā€™s brother. She didnā€™t even encourage him, but he still went through with it. That doesnā€™t fall in the ā€œrunā€ nor ā€œdo what other people tell him toā€ category, for sure.

See thatā€™s totally different from what I typed :frowning:

Why is it that I feel like you are mixing up actions and personality. He doesnā€™t need poses or phrases or jokes in order to have a personality. He has to have a way of thinking that is unique to himself, and that is what I think he does have, and it has developed a huge amount over the entire series.

For sure, he isnā€™t quirky, and I wouldnā€™t consider him as such. But he has a pretty fleshed-out personality, in my opinion

Thatā€™s what I was referring to. The Omurice thing was just an emotional response.

You say changed, but I donā€™t. He never had a motivation. He never had a personality.
He has barely changed, because he wasnā€™t a thing to change. All theyā€™ve done his give his some slight quirks. The difference between Yuu now and Yuu 9 episodes ago is minuscule. Heā€™s still as flat and dull as he was back then.

Looks exactly the same to me. I just summarized.

Because my original post was about describing his personality. You do that through his actions. They are what define a character.

I donā€™t see that at all. Heā€™s barely a character. I canā€™t describe him at all. If you asked me who Yuu was, Iā€™d say ā€œa guy who does stuff sometimes, and likes his sisterā€ because thatā€™s the only defining traits I can think of. Heā€™s emptier than Ooyama in the AB anime.

I dont know guysā€¦ Yuu may have had some development, but imo he still acts almost exactly the same! What did he do in episode 2? He selfishly resisted helping Nao, but ended up just doing what he was told and going along with it anyways. What did he do in episode 11? He selfishly resisted helping Nao, but ended up just doing as he was toldā€¦ again!