Charlotte Quotes

Use this topic to post quotes from the upcoming Charlotte anime! Anything from the anime can be posted without spoiler tags. Since we will be posting direct quotations of dialogue stated in the anime, please note that there can and will be spoilers in this topic. You have been warned! You may post quotes in the form of both screenshots and text.

As much as possible, please try and make sure that the quotes you post here are meaningful, and something worth remembering Charlotte by, even after it is over. As such, simple catchphrases would be considered spammy.

To get started:

“Why am I myself, and not somebody else” - Yuu Otosaka

3 Likes

“Time can heal many wounds in this world. Though it won’t heal everything”

• Random Lady in episode 7
2 Likes

That was episode 7 :stuck_out_tongue:

And Im not so sure that was a random lady…

You should listen to our episode 7 podcast~

Oh yea I just checked sorry ^^"

I’m looking for a really good Charlotte quote to use for the Series Info page. Anybody have any suggestions? Give me your best quotes!

I thought this power was something granted to just me… but there were others. I wanted to someday freely fly through the skies. I even had a dream of becoming Skyhigh Saito the Hollywood star…
-Skyhigh Saito

~

That night, I had a dream… but who was that person…?

• Yuu Otosaka

~

You seem happy from the bottom of your heart. That also makes me me just as happy."
-Sala Shane

1 Like

“Why don’t you try playing fair for once in your life, Otosaka Yuu-kun the cheater?”
~ Tomori Nao

“How could I possibly pull this off?! This isn’t something one person can do alone! Especially not me, a lowlife who cheated to get good grades! A good-for-nothing who thinks about nothing but himself! A vain loser whose only desire is for others to see him in a good light! That’s who I am!”
~ Otosaka Yuu

“You had better come back to us. After all, we’re people who suffered through the same illness together, classmates who had each other’s backs through thick and thin, and above all, friends.”
~ Takajou Joujirou

“One day, you may face a trial the likes of which you cannot imagine.”
~ Takajou Joujirou

“This camera’s only ever seen scenes that I would’ve rather not recorded.”
~ Tomori Nao

(it’s from the epilogue. It’s actually only the beginning of the quote, but I think that’s the only usable part)

4 Likes

“Classical music is great. Continuous flow. Mathematical perfection.”
~
“Ideas that challenge the orthodoxy are always met with scorn.”
~
“Do you know the story of the geocentric model? Today, we know it’s complete nonsense, but it used to be accepted as common knowledge. However, reality did not agree. What do you think happened to the first person to ever question it? They were called a heretic, cast out, and stripped of all their power.”

Based scientist bro Tsutsumiuchi hitting us with that writer’s purpose.

5 Likes

I’m unaware of any better quotes to really get at the heart of what Charlotte is. Then again, maybe I’m biased.

1 Like

Let me ask then. How does that quote speak to you personally? What does it say?

((Disclaimer: Only posting this here because it was asked here… Feels very off-topic; sorry about this.))

Charlotte had a pretty large focus on Yuu’s journey and development. He always had a strong degree of doubt in himself. He only ever used his power, not his ability, so to speak. (We also see this echoed, one way or another, in the other power users that the student council would target.) (Ending: His last plunder is “courage,” something that he finally gained through his own abilities. Something he didn’t actually need his power for.)

(Meta: My explanation relies pretty heavily on the story as a whole; I’d say that alone is decent evidence of my claim.)

As for what it means to me personally, I think that everyone can agree that figuring out your own identity is something that can be rather distressing. Some people will emulate others. Some people will only grab bits and pieces of other identities to make their own. (Some will try to build themselves from the ground up, but they’re already biased by their interactions with others.)

A lot of people lament their own lack of ability in various fields. Some people believe they have a lower capacity to do something than others and will often give up trying to improve their capabilities. It’s not unheard of for people to look toward others who appear to be more skilled or talented, or just generally better off than they are, and wonder what’s different, or “why am I not that person?”

That quote underlines this quite well, in my opinion.

Okay, so I didn’t really answer what it means to NotKyon specifically. Well, NotKyon often wonders why he’s not Kyon. Not everybody in a story is the protagonist, after all, as much as each character might like to be. Even so, why is NotKyon himself, and not Kyon? What’s the difference between these two seemingly ordinary people?

Let’s look at it from a more positive angle though. In asking this question, “Why am I myself, and not somebody else?” we create an opening for the answer: “Because I am myself, there is something only I can do.”

4 Likes

"Attractive and intelligent boys like this chump is someone I can never be a good match for" ~ Nao Tomori

"I’ve said this before in a different world, I threw myself into despair and kept falling into an abyss. You were there next to me, watching over me the whole time. But that still saved me." ~ Yu Otosaka to Nao Tomori

"I’ll say it. ‘I’ll be waiting.’ For when I’ll see you once again, after you save every single ability-wielder. And then, we can become lovers. If you really pull this off, I am sure to unconditionally find Yu Otosaka dear to me." ~ Nao Tomori to Yu Otosaka

"Then promise me that you’ll come back. We shall meet again. For sure." ~ Nao Tomori
"Yeah. I’ll make sure to come back." ~ Yu Otosaka

" If you lie, cut off the tip of a finger! Pinky promise!" ~ Nao Tomori
"That’s a scary promise" ~ Yu Otosaka
"I felt it was better than swallowing a thousand needles." ~ Nao Tomori

2 Likes

Let me know if you guys have any quotes that you think represent the whole of Charlotte really well.

1 Like