Charlotte - Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

Probably a placeholder. I wouldn’t think too hard on it.

I hope so. 10 episodes can’t be enough…

Does MAL normally do placeholders? JoJo’s SC S2 had “-” listed as its episode count until earlier sometime last week when episode 19/24 aired. Hibike! Euphonium still has “-” and it’s on episode 8 and has been confirmed as a 1 cour show.

I think it depends. If they wrote the story with 10 episodes in mind then any longer would feel like it was dragging on.

It’s MAL. They aren’t much of a news provider, so don’t trust their information unless more reputable sites have reported it.

10 episodes is fine.

They guess things a lot of the time.

1 Like

Most of MAL is user-generated and user-editable content, like Wikipedia but with less transparency.

The catch is that I can’t find the edit function for episode count. If that part is done by their editor (or whatever), they’d better got good references to support that.

I hope they don’t. I couldn’t be less satisfied with a Key anime 10 eps long. I hope they write at least 2 cour, if not, more.

I don’t care how long the anime will be, as long as the planned episode numbers match the actual episode numbers. Unlike AB! which was planned to be 2 cours but for whatever reason cut into 1 cour and made disappointment to both the viewer and creator because hell was rushed.

But if the creators and viewers are not satisfied, they can just make a VN outta it, like 10 years after the anime…

AB! wasn’t planned to be 2 cour, this is just a rumor. It’s just because Maeda wasn’t used to anime format.

1 cour 2 cour doesn’t matter as long as they write it in a way that is appropriate to the timeline they are given. Well we went over this already, so I am just repeating myself XD

I am actually expecting a 1 cour for this, but all in all I dont care as long as Maeda learned from Angel Beats. Yusa is a good example, that they did at least learn a bit from it.

10 episodes confirmed a mistake by @Doublethree1 asking MAL.

3 Likes

As someone who is studying writing and has gone through tons of books/movies/TV shows/etc forced to find common flaws I can say with 100% certainty, if the story can be told without changing your original ideas in a specific length you do not want it longer. I’d much rather take a 1 cour show that’s maybe a little rushed (not Angel Beats rushed) over a 2 cour show that has a bunch of filler or drags events on way longer than they need to be. Would I like a 2 cour show? Yeah. Do I want them to mess with their original story if it can only cover 12 episodes? Not at all.

2 Likes

10 episodes isn’t even a bad number of episodes anyway. It’s only one less than Anohana.

1 Like

I just think it’s a wasted potential for an anime, that is a series and can be used for longer stories than movies.

[quote=“Doublethree1, post:50, topic:1278, full:true”]

Actually, I do. You said stuff about filler, but even if a story can be concluded satisfyingly in 1 cour, they can just add another arc even if it’s not directly related to the previous one, without feeling like they are extending stuff. When I like a movie, I want more of that story, more of the characters, etc. 10 eps isn’t enough for me.

No it isn’t. Wasted potential is when a bad idea is executed poorly. Planning a show with a small episode count in mind is a sign of confidence that your story will live up to it’s potential.

That sounds dreadful for two reasons. One, there’s no guarantee that there will be consistency throughout the two arcs. Two, if a story can just “add another arc” then it’s not a Key story. That’s not how Key’s stories work. They have a planned story progression and a definitive ending. This isn’t Naruto.

Then that is a good show. A good show leaves you wanting more. It doesn’t give you more. A good show is rarely ever “enough.”
You can be greedy if you want, but it will only ruin what you once enjoyed.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that’s the case. Going to keep using Anohana but if it continued it would feel like the are only continuing for money. It had a clear ending and, while I obviously have no idea what Charlotte’s ending while be, if it’s clear then adding on an arc after would make me feel they’re only doing it for money.

1 Like

I can’t speak for KudWaf, but Tomoyo After is not the same as adding a new arc onto an anime. It’s a separate entity to Clannad. You don’t just lump it onto the end. If you try and do that, you end up with a mess like SAO, that tried to combine multiple books into one season.

Umm… have you read those stories? Because… that’s not how it works at all.

While the EX routes are okay on their own, some better than others, most agree that their actual connection to the original Litbus story is handled terribly. If it wasn’t for the H-scene additions, EX would have been more suitable as a standalone fandisc.

The EX anime was a separate entity to Litbus and Refrain anyway…

Tomoyo After IS a side story, but that’s not what you were talking about.
If the writers decided to add a Tomoyo After arc (ignoring that TA it’s self is 4 arcs) the rest of the CLANNAD anime would have been changed to suit this focus, and it would have cut even more content than the original. Tomoyo After would only work as a standalone series.

They are a new start. They explore different themes. They have a different main story.
You can’t just put Kudwaf on the end of Litbus and say it’s a continuation, because that goes against the story. You can’t just put TA on the end of CLANNAD, because it doesn’t fit with CLANNAD’s story. It fits with Tomoyo’s route, but that was only explored in a singular ova, set apart from the series.

That would almost definitely be watering down the quality of the story. First, we don’t know if Charlotte follows the arc system. Generally an original anime is just a story, not a bunch of arcs. Secondly, we don’t know if Charlotte will focus on a single character. Focusing on a different character wouldn’t be a new arc, it’d be a spin-off. Third, you don’t “simply decide to add a new arc.” A story ends where it ends.

It not being a VN has nothing to do with arc structure.

You’ve entirely missed the part of the anime I had aim on. SAO was a mess because it compiled a bunch of side stories together, making the Aincrad arc a bigger deal that it actually was, and breaking it down into arcs that vaguely connected together. It ruined the overall focus of the anime so much so that there are thousands of fans who don’t even know what the franchise is about, and it destroyed the pacing that the books set.

Those VN’s morals are focused on entirely different ones to their predecessors. It’s not more of the same. KudWaf isn’t more Litbus. TA isn’t more CLANNAD. They are stories set in the same universe, with some recognizable faces… but they aren’t an added arc.
If you want examples of arcs, you can actually look at TA. That is a story that uses an arc system instead of a route system.

The point is having a story that was meant to be able to add an arc on to the end of it, and having a story that ends are opposites. If a story is over, you cannot continue it, thus why Angel Beats! would never have gotten a second season.

[quote=“sillylittlemelody, post:503, topic:728”]
This is again because of the VN structure. They are not a new start. Kudwaf is after Kud EX route and TA is after Tomoyo route, that’s why it’s called Tomoyo After, not Tomoyo New Before, duh. Kud’s route and Tomoyo’s are still part of their original stories, which doesn’t make them separate entities. Different themes? Are you saying TA has nothing about family, then?
[/quote]This is the

[quote=“Takafumi, post:500, topic:728”]
Umm… have you read those stories? Because… that’s not how it works at all.
[/quote] part. If you had read them, you would understand why. Its kinda hard to explain otherwise.

the protagonist would remain the same, and the rest of the cast could still be there.
[/quote]Not if the ending is written so the cast and the protagonist aren’t there.

Tell this to movie sequels’ writers. There are many successful sequels, you know? And they’re decided after the movie’s success.
[/quote]And how many of these kinds of sequels are any good? I personally count zero.

Aincrad was an arc, Fairy Dance was an arc, but those things you’re referring they are mini-arcs. I think arc can be used in both senses, but all Aincrad mini-arcs were set in the Aincrad arc.
[/quote]No, once again, you don’t understand what he’s saying because you havent read the light novels.

Also, this argument is pretty unnecessary. The story will be however long it will be. I empathize with you, wanting the story to last longer so I get to enjoy it longer, but I also really dont want a story longer than Maeda wants it. If Maeda writes the story to be 4 episodes, then I want it to be 4 episodes. Same if it was 17 episodes.

Probably not. But you continue to ignore the fact that you haven’t read Tomoyo After, and therefore have no idea why your argument does not apply to it.

Besides, we are talking about Charlotte, and its original story, not some sequel it might someday have.

[quote=“sillylittlemelody, post:505, topic:728”]
The most recent example is Avengers 2. Another arc, different from the first movie that concluded its own, but the second was even better than the first.
[/quote]Umm… you realize those are all based off comic books, right? Marvel has had all the movies they want to make planned out for awhile. Age of Ultron being made had nothing to do with the success of the first Avengers movie. I’d even venture to say they would have made it even if the first had failed.