Charlotte - Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

3 Likes

There’s another video, the CM.

They also updated the character section.

2 Likes

The imouto is there too… O_O

Urgh, honestly I feel the anime character design somehow irks me. But, fine! It’s not awfully bad!
(Specifically I don’t like how they made Yusa and Nao’s eyelashes.)

Mr. Protag seems to be jerk enough but when I saw him being so gentle around his sister I feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Now for the texts, translated badly!

Why can’t I become
no one but me,
not someone else?

The boy
got the specific ability.

“We can use
your ability.
Please cooperate.”

The girl
had a specific ability.

That is
disease

What started was
a controlled daily life

What came upon them was
an extraordinary life
of the ability-user

With a brilliant adolescence
The cruel fate

Starts to run amok

And the one
waiting
at the end is…

100% non legit translation!

3 Likes

Alriiiight just finished watching the PV like five times and here’s what I think about it so far:

The stars, man, the stars! The PV is just reminding us of the stars now. And it’s zooming in on something that looks like a comet. @Bonecuss might be right in that Charlotte is a meteor!

Yuu is ab. so. lute. ly. FABULOUS~ The vibe I am getting from Yuu is that he is very self-centered. He probably doesn’t give a damn about the well-being of others except himself (and probably his imouto, as we can see from the PV). We also instantly see him using his power :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I noticed in the middle of the PV is… Yuu is suddenly introducing himself in front of the class. So he’s either a freshman or… He mysteriously had to transfer into the school… Hmmm…

Naonao seems very serious. Like she’s on top of her game and everything. She seems like she’ll have the classic Student Council president vibe… without the mature looks that come with it XD Right now, the vibe I’m getting from her now is that her personality will be the most similar to… Tomoyo, from CLANNAD!

Joujirou does seem very… Takamatsu. Serious on the outset, but he’s definitely gonna be a butt monkey xP Definitely. Like we see him staring down at Yuu, glasses all opaque and both of them seem beat-up… The next moment he’s crying to himself like a butt monkey haha

Ayumi seems very genki, as expected of the imouto trope. Yusa also seems very cute-ish. Seems like she’ll be the perfect idol type of character. Reminds me of Setsuna from White Album 2 heh.

AND LASTLY! We see Yuu and Nao looking at the see with… someone seeming to be on a wheelchair? at least, it looks like the wheels of a wheelchair that Nao is pushing… Urrrrgh why do I have a feeling it’s Ayumi in the wheelchair >_<

So, with all this reminded references to the stars and including the fact that the anime is gonna talk about their powers, I’m thinking… What if these abilities of theirs actually come from the comet/star itself? I think it wouldn’t be a far cry to think that it is the source of their powers, and something they’ll have to face head-on in the future.

This PV is just making me hyped all the way. Not the crazy, wild kind of hype, but the drop whatever I’m doing and try to understand everything about it kind of hype

4 Likes

She doesn’t seem that stoic. I thought she was pretty sweet.

I feel like the source of their powers is some kind of conspiracy.

4 Likes

Ooooooohhhhh my god thanks so so much for that. This basically confirms that the school has a plan with their abilities. There’s definitely some sort of intent with getting these kids into Hoshi no Umi and I can’t wait to find out what it is.

How dare you, Tomoyo is pretty damn sweet :stuck_out_tongue:

It might be, but I feel that the conspiracy is the way they are using the powers. It’d be weird if they had the ability to give people powers, and then later approach other power holders to help them in controlling…

1 Like

I don’t mean it like that. Just the superficial personality. She seems more deredere than a coodere. But I liked Tomoyo. I like cooderes.

Yeah… But my intuition tells me the source of power isn’t the stars. They are most likely just a symbol/motif/metaphor that emphasize the work’s main themes.

The translation is totally not legit so I’m not taking any responsibilities if I happen to translate things wrongly!

But from the lines and PV, I do feel that Mr. Protagonist just got that ability (and I think it has something to do with the comet/meteor/whatever was that) while Nao probably has her power much longer (because on how it’s written. The boy got the power (手に入れた) while the girl had a power (持っていた))

And about the “We can use your power” and “controlled daily life” sounds more likely that Nao (or maybe someone else) is trying to form a group of X-Men so their powers are not used unaccordingly. Perhaps they don’t know where the power actually comes from but they just have to make a rule of using it.

3 Likes

Soooo that kind of supports why he was only just introducing himself. Transfer student then, probably!

I think @Bizkitdoh is pretty confident that this is gonna be X-Men: The anime, hehehehehe.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-02/charlotte-anime-animation-previewed-in-new-promo/.86662

ANN post their translation.

1 Like

After watching the PV four or five times, and reading the translation by ANN, I feel like Charlotte is going to be more plot-oriented than the previous Key works. This is what I understood from the PV and my theories regarding the anime.

1. The protagonist was a normal boy until he gained new powers.

2. Nao (sorry @Pepe-senpai. I misunderstood your post and I thought you were talking about Yusa. Yes, she’s very Tomoyo-like.) is a girl that already had powers and she invites him to join the group of X-men.

3. He accepts the invitation, expecting it to make him useful. But then he realizes he is in the middle of a conspiracy and he is being supervised step by step. He realizes the shit he got into.
    (Something tells me Nao is not the innocent girl or a victim. Maybe she is an anti-heroine. I assume she knows of the conspiracy and she fools Yuu hiding the facts. Later in the show, Yuu will convince her that the conspiracy is damaging her, yes, damaging, I’ll explain later. Or perhaps the government is threatening Nao emotionally, something to do with the wheelchair, maybe.)

4. Then, he tries to run away or quit. But unfortunately, Joujirou is there to force him to stay.

5. Later, he somehow finds out something covered by the government and shares it with the other three. (I think the people who have powers will have a specific day to die, they will not last beyond their youths. The government is probably preventing them from enjoying their youths.) Then, the four of them will investigate and fight against the conspiracy.

6. After turning down the conspiracy, they are now able to enjoy their youths until their last days. Here they have fun, spend time together, and their bond grows. Then, the last day comes and… They die. No happy ending. ( I just have a feeling Charlotte will have a sad ending)

If this is going to be 2-cour (I think it will), I think the first cour will be plot-oriented and the second will give place for the character development, and of course, THE TEARS.

I think you’re getting way ahead of yourself with point #4 and onwards :stuck_out_tongue: Well, nothing wrong with speculation, then! If it is 2-cour, though, wouldn’t it be first half as character development and second half as plot? Or maybe initial character development, then plot in the middle, and final development with drama at the end

2 Likes

Second hypothesis seems much more plausible. I think the second half as plot wouldn’t work too well if it’s going to make us cry.

Also, if this is 2-cour, most of the PV is about the 1st cour. As the PV focuses much more on the plot, the 1st cour will probably be plot-oriented.

Point #4 can be concluded by the PV. After he runs, Joujirou laughs and is sweating while Yuu is on the ground, crying.

Second half is what Key normally goes with though. Slice of Life, buildup, mid-way drama, cooldown and more buildup, and then the penultimate drama.

You’ve created some fanfiction~ There’s a lot of assumption here.

In both of the PVs, there are only two clips relating to the two having ran. Yuu is never shown crying. Joujirou is never shown laughing. All we see is:

• In the first clip, Yuu is out of breath, while Joujirou is (understandably) still standing.
  • In the second, some comedic crying out of Joujirou, with a fist-clench of aspiration if we go by standard anime-expression tropes.

If I had to make my own guess on what that scene is about, it’s Joujirou revealing his super “teleportation” speed power and trying to be epic about it - hence the low angled glasses-tint shot.

Wow. OK. That music.

I guess I wont repeat stuff about the characters that others have said. We dont really know too much about them still anyways, especially not even having voices yet.

There’s a bunch of Yuu suddenly turning around, surprised. I wonder if its Nao sneaking up on him while invisible?

“The promise is to return home.”
Are they (the four of them, or maybe just Yuu and Nao?) leaving to go somewhere and promising to return back to the town? OR. Are they leaving the town to go back… “home”???

Also, we still don’t have anything new on the electricity from the original PV. After rewatching that one, I also realized I heard what sounded like thunder at the very beginning, so maybe it has to do with a thunderstorm?

Also, this could be just a “cool design”, but there are also a bunch of blue lines in the backgrounds. Almost like a blueprint of some sort?

But yeah, basically THAT MUSIC. Based Maeda x ANANT-GARDE EYES!

5 Likes

The second clip may have nothing to do with it, you’re right. But the first one appeared right before Yuu was running, and whether or not Yuu is crying of just out of breath, Joujirou is preventing him from doing something. When he stops running, you can see his surprised face under the stairs: someone has caught him (Joujirou). This is just my interpretation though, but not a fanfiction.

Yeah that’s kind of the same feel I got from that scene.

It’s really confusing because that tagline has been used ever since Charlotte was announced back in September and honestly… I have no idea what to think of it. At first everybody thought it was about somebody going to space but Jun Maeda quickly shot that idea down >_<

Totally forgot about that. Would it be a stretch to think that there is another character (perhaps antagonist) whose power is related to electricity?

1 Like