Charlotte - Episode 9 "The World is Not in Here"

Oh whoops I guess I misread.

For some reason I didn’t even make that connection…I thought it was like Collapse or Obliterate where the power isn’t what I’d think of when hearing the name.

Nah, the guy, Maeda-something-or-other, is the one with the memory wiping. The girl sends people to sleep.

It’s always a “huh, something feels wrong” moment.

It’s more a rule that a power isn’t exactly what it says on the tin.

Collapse is pretty easy to guess though. It makes stuff… Collapse.

Maybe it’s just due to none of the powers before that being all that impressive but when I heard Collapse I thought it was the power to make someone faint or something, not level a building.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s automatic. There are plenty of points where if it weren’t certain things wouldn’t make sense. I view “Plunder” similarly to opening a chest and taking what’s inside. Taking over a person’s body is equivalent to opening the chest. If there’s no power then there’s nothing to take back after those five seconds.

I wonder if he actually completely takes a power. Perhaps more powerful powers can’t be completely taken away from a single plunder. Smaller powers would be “easily carried away as a whole” (like taking a few pebbles from a mountain), whereas larger powers would be more akin to the mountain. Though I have no basis for this theory, I’m not aware of anything that disproves it either.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:45, topic:1837”]
Collapse is pretty easy to guess though. It makes stuff… Collapse.
[/quote]I didn’t think that one literally meant making the surrounding area collapse either. … And as I was typing this @Doublethree1 said what I was about to. Sweet. xP

1 Like

The incorporeal thing seemed like a pretty significant power, and he was able to steal that quite quickly.

1 Like

The layout kinda reminded me of Deafheaven’s Sunbather. I wouldn’t be shocked if that was the reference they were trying to make

1 Like

Ah, could be. (I wasn’t familiar with them, so I looked 'em up.) I’m more bothered by the “I” being able to fit with the “ZH” and just have it on two lines instead of weirdly spreading the whole thing out to three lines, but ultimately I don’t think it’s that important of a thing. It was just really jarring when I saw it.

[quote=“therationalpi, post:48, topic:1837”]
The incorporeal thing seemed like a pretty significant power, and he was able to steal that quite quickly.
[/quote]Yeah, that’s a good point. We don’t know for sure whether that was really that big of a power though. The “big powers,” like Time Leap, Plunder, and (apparently) Collapse have one thing in common: They can directly affect the lives of others in practical ways. I don’t recall the other powers having that in common, with the exception of memory man. (Maybe I’m stretching here though.)

Regardless, I think the point you raised is a practical debunk of my offhand theory.

No one’s going to comment on how CR google translates the title again? ここにない世界 is closer to be “The world which isn’t here”. The translation “The World is Not in Here” is just too bland. WTF I don’t even

Everyone’s yapping about holy plot twist and all, I’m just gonna tell you I like Tomori in ponytail, and how she interacted with Shun. (Little Otosaka, sorry you’re gonna get NTR’d) I’m glad the series is finally getting somewhere but I don’t like that it happened now.

And I like the song “Trigger” which triggered Yuu’s memories. The English was very exceptional.

Now they’re gonna save Ayumi, which as expected, didn’t actually die but probably getting shitty with all the scientist. I assume that they’re gonna fail in the rescue and have to time leap once again. Now without involving Nao and Joujirou. But Yuu is already interested in Nao anyway so he’ll find her again. /randomthoughts

Waiiittttt so where do Nao, Joujirou and Yusa stand now? I thought they’re the “major characters” but with this revelation I do think they won’t play much role anymore, especially for Yusa. But we still have 4 more episodes, so HIT ME MAEDA! HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST!

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think she looked any different from normal. Maybe I’m starting to take on that “the visuals are boring” opinion.

The way she interacts with Shun is very much how she interacts with people when discussing food. She becomes… wait for it… a puppy! NAO IS THE DOG!

Do we know that she didn’t die? They can save her even if she died. That was my problem with her death in the first place.

Yuu goes back, spends years and years creating a world he wants to live in. It takes him a long time to do. Instead of meeting everyone like he did this time around, he works, hence why Nao always seemed like she was waiting for someone pre-release.

Nao could still be relevant. She’s a cornerstone of the school system that the older brother decided on. Joujirou and Yusa stand where they always stood… About 10 feet back.

1 Like

Not so.

He’s clearly saying “Isn’t it obvious how? Shunsuke’s power.”

I’m pretty on the fence with this episode. I honestly thought there were quite a few imperfections in the writing. They could have definitely made the big reveal in a better way. Instead of Yuu suddenly realizing everything after hearing one song, they could have made it in such a way where the viewers themselves feel a disconnect in the story earlier on, instead of simply foreshadowing. Maybe I’m just being nitpicky, but I felt that it had more potential in writing…

Despite all my concerns, I absolutely enjoyed this episode! I was genuinely excited as to what was happening, where they were going, and trying to connect what happened to everyone. If I had to rate this episode on the sole quality of being “entertainment”, I would have called it perfect.

I think there are still downsides, just some aren’t really shown to us. Perhaps Yuu’s plunder has its own other downside. Shunsuke, for example, is implied to need light in his eyes in order to use his time leap, which does imply a downside.

I do believe there’s one thing that I would like to focus on: That Yuu’s vision was that of an alternate timeline.

The only proof I have of that is the ZHIEND song. Sala herself said that it’s a brand new song, that they had never released before. In the alternate timeline, we see Yuu listening to the same song. This, more than anything, proves that the whole thing with Yuu and the scientists happened on the same date, but in an alternate world where they are captured by scientists.

It also makes sense considering his brother’s power: Time Leap. His brother can change the events in the past (somehow) in order to make a different future.

The point I’m trying to make with this is: How does Yuu even know what happened in the alternate timeline? The show seems to imply that he had those memories previously, but they were erased by a power user. The problem with that is why does he have memories of an alternate timeline in the first place?

For now, I see it as something of a causality flaw, but the explanation could make all the difference: If those memories were, instead, implanted into Yuu, then that could easily mean that whoever implanted those memories is using Yuu to their advantage. Or if Yuu genuinely keeps memories from an alternate timeline, then it says a lot more about this whole “time leap” thing.

More than anything, that’s one thing I would like to know about in the next episode.

My last complaint for this episode: Are they really going to be focusing their last few episodes on saving Ayumi? =/ There could be so much more potential to it… I just hope Nao has something up her sleeve in that regard, because Yuu’s drive would be dedicated to Ayumi more than anything.

1 Like

Course he doesn’t feel unique anymore, he has everyones power now. He’s absorbing other peoples personality powers.

NAONAO IS MOLDING HIM INTO HER PREFECT POWER STEALING MINION.

Even NaoNao just became tagalong kid this episode, although at least she was granted an appearence at least.

Time Leap pretty explicitly needed his eyes to be filled with light. It’s just like Kumagami, a condition needs to be met before it can be used.

I thought that was matter of fact. Nothing to argue with.

It’s not like he’s the only one. The others appeared to know as well. Only the people mind-wiped by the Maeda-guy would feel differently. You could argue that the brother just told it all to the people he needed, but even then, Yuu shouldn’t have a problem remembering if his brother did.

That could be cool though. Yuu isn’t.

Shame he’s blind now.

I noticed that too, because he used the time leap ability does that mean he’ll never be able to use it again due to the fact that he can’t see light anymore? So it was like a one time use? If so how did he know he had it…

He used it before. Probably used it too much like Sala did.

1 Like

Overdid it in what way though? As in exessivley or like @Doublethree1 said, like he just went too far back. Rhetorical question mind you lol

They don’t have to be gone. Off the top of my head (Clanand)Post grad I wasn’t really expecting anymore appearances from anyone besides Nagisa but there’s the New Years Party, Kyou as Ushio’s teacher and Fuko waking up. and Little Busters After Riki/Rin runaway and everything is reverted to before they met Kyousuke the rest of the heroine still appear once they’re back in the real world. I’m not expecting them to do anything important though.

My point was more he couldn’t go past 5 years ago (random number means nothing) as in he’d be stopped and the power wouldn’t take him further. How you thought I meant it still works. His weakness is probably needing light though.

Edit: I thought this was in a different thread so forgot about it but just a question for @Pepe about the alt timelines theory (which I do agree with) Wouldn’t Nao and her brother have been caught? Unless creating this alt timeline somehow they were caught instead of Ayumi and Yuu (which I guess would get Shun wanting to help them as it was his fault they were captured).

I thought you meant if he went too far back he loses his vision but yeah I get what you mean, still I think the use of a strong power like Shane’s has something to do with it

…well I didn’t think about it like that.
Even so, considering he was quite the asshole in episode 07 I’m not sure the execution completely works here.

… I wasn’t arguing whether or not it was a fact takafumipls

See, that is a problem. His brother is the one with the timeleap power and, naturally, the brother should remember things after leaping. Yuu shouldn’t be able to do so. So yes, the others may have been told, or very elaborately convinced, at the least.

Unless the timeleap power works differently from how I think it does.

OOOOOOOHHH how did I not realize this
(but yuu can still steal his power probably)

Nao and her brother are an independent factor. They might have been caught together with the Otosaka siblings, or they might not have been. The only line of dependence is the opening of Hoshi no Umi, which needed Shunsuke to timeleap

That archery guy in Episode 2 was a pretty big asshole, too…