Charlotte - Episode 6 "Happy You Did Not Notice"

Friggin’ cliffhanger.

I was waiting for Misa to meet Ayumi, but dang, it didn’t happen.

That short-haired girl… pretty sure I’ve seen her somewhere… Oregairu? Well does not matter.
I think she also is related to Kumagami somehow…

So apparently “Happy you did not notice” is literally the google translate version. That’s how stupid the translation is. I’ve silently laughed at some of CR’s translation choices in the past but this is just ridiculous.

2 Likes

Oh yeah… No Misa this episode, huh?

1 Like

I’m pretty surprised we saw a young girl with a box cutter attempt to stab another girl inside a school.

I was definitely feeling the friends as scientist-planted fakes the whole way through, especially Oikawa with the way he seemed to try and corner Ayumi near the end - I still have some suspicions about his role but he could just be another example of predatory youth.

Very very very much looking forward to seeing what orange girl’s role will be, taking note of how she both seemed to be familiar to the Hoshinoumi guards and was somehow cognizant of Yandere and/or her role in the disaster when she arrived based on how she was looking at her.

3 Likes

yeah, I totally just would have ended it off with Yuu shouting Ayumi’s name. Would still have been a nice cliffhanger and kinda more impact, but I guess the plot needed it to end like this.

Also, why the hell did she not run either back to where the other two are or down the stairs. Running upstairs was literally running into a death trap. If the door was shut or not wouldnt even matter in that case.

OK, so after rewatching, I began to see the progression a little bit better. I could see it all building up to the ending, everything getting worse and worse, a bit better this time. Basically I liked it more theis time. Still dont think it was as dramatic as I was expecting it to be.

I also kinda wish they had let the fact that Ayumi had just been caught under the rubble, and very possibly might be dead, sink in a bit more. When I think about it, that whole scene was really scary, but it all happened so quickly that it didnt really have as much of an effect on me as I was expecting the “game-chaning scene” to have.

Also, I think I would have liked the 10 second Kumagami clip to be before the credits. I know most people would probably disagree with me on that, but I feel the mood of the credits more fits what I was feeling after the Kumagami scene than the rubble falling scene.

Aww man, you beat me to it. Yeah, collapse was in the OP the whole time, btw. I was wondering when it was gonna show up.

[quote=“Akito, post:74, topic:1750”]
I think she also is related to Kumagami somehow…
[/quote]Interesting that you say that because I was kinda thinking that he could possibly be

The way they wrote it, I felt like they wanted us viewers to feel the “yuu being crushed under the rubble” to sink in way more than ayumi. It’s like they’re telling us “who cares about ayumi, look at what’s happened to yuu!”

1 Like

Yeah but unlike Ayumi who clear got caught in the collapse, and we “know” something has happened to, Yuu easily could have just jumped out of the way. Or not. My point is, we dont even know if something happened to Yuu.

I guess it would have kinda been cool if there was some foreshadowing to Yuu being caught up in the collapse. Like if Ayumi’s dream had been about “a boy” getting caught up in the ground breaking or something. I dont know, I feel like that would have made the last scene with Yuu better for me maybe.

My reaction on this episode

But seriously, I have mixed feelings about this episode. It started tame and funny with Ayumi’s bleeding from her nose over Yusarin’s visit. And then there’s convenient yandere character as trigger for Ayumi’s power. It’s pretty sudden and unexpected. Will we ever see those middle schoolers in the future episode? Hhmmm…

Aside of the yandere girl, that boy who was rejected by Ayumi, too, shown a small yandere trait. He’s like, overly persistent on getting Ayumi. I bet something’s bad would happen if Ayumi accepted his offer to eat dessert together. He’s not normal… (and if what yandere girl said is true (and she’s not exaggerating 'coz of her over jealousy), that he only sees Ayumi and no one else… I guess yandere is the new chuunibyou?)

As for the other girl who appeared to be important… I do think she’s probably someone with similar “profession” with Tomori. I honestly don’t think there’s only one group like Hoshinoumi stuco. Solving every juvenile esper problems all over Japan would be too much for a group of two (not counting Yuu and Yusa).

And Mr. Wet Guy… Honestly I have no idea.

And now for safety tips!

1. If someone’s pursuing you with cutter knife in hand, don’t try to reason with them. That’s plain stupid and suicidal. They won’t listen. You’ll be dead in seconds.
  2. When such things happen, don’t you ever run upstair. That’s plain stupid and suicidal. Always go to somewhere crowded where you might find someone who can help you. Going to a clubroom full of people, or teachers lounge is probably the best in school.
  3. Distract them! Throw whatever you have in your pocket to their face. Scream like crazy! Ask for help! Take people’s attention! Struggle like your life’s depending on it, literally!
  4. Find a weapon. One you can use. Don’t use something you can’t properly use, like incomplete juvenile superpower.

I hope you all learn something from this episode!

5 Likes

I really hope they weren’t. I hate in any fiction when you’re not close it being finished and it’s like “Hey look the protagonist is about to die! Oh no you need to worry!” I’m sure there have been stories that set up a protagonist than kill them half way and switch to someone else but for the most part I just see it as a cheap way to get people to worry.

The problem is while this may seem obvious to us think about if you were a student who was recovering from a cold, has some boy stalking her, and now has a jealous girl trying to kill her. Even just the last one her mind wouldn’t be working properly but all three her brain is kicking into “I gotta get out of here” and she just runs without thinking.

And I think that’s what adds to more tension, simply because we don’t know what happened to him. If it happened as you said, after Ayumi fell, then I, as a viewer, would just think “Oh well, goodbye loli, she’ll probably be saved somehow”.

Ergo, the fact that we don’t know if something happened is what is making me more curious and excited for the next episode.

But that feels more like a personal opinion xP

I definitely got the vibe that he needed to be alone with Ayumi for purposes other than doki-doki date time :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you Hirato-sensei I shall forever take note of your safety tips~

I guess that would work for most, but I at least do not care much about “protagonist’s privilege” and would be just as worried if it happened to Nao or Yusa.

I really think “Well shit.” is the perfect way to express how I felt for this episode.

And it’s always box cutters as a yandere’s weapon, huh.

Quite possibly have been mentioned already, but what about the possibility of Yuu using a “last second possesion” before rubble fell over his body?

1 Like

A similar reaction came from a bit in the CLANNAD adaptation. Seeing Kotomi break down scared a bunch of people.
It happened in parts of Kanon '06 too. People were actually annoyed that Litbus didn’t have one.

It felt very sudden. Dude was looking for blood out of nowhere.

It’s definitely nice to have a good looking character in the show, but something is up with her.

I think he tried to run in, Nao stopped him, Yuu was left. Eventually he was captured and taken away. Kumagami shows up later, possibly tracking something, possibly led to somewhere.
Hmm… Maybe he senses Yuu’s power there, but Yuu himself isn’t there.

There’s at least two other groups outside of the main cast.

Nah, that’s Yuri’s.

I was thinking this when thinking about my impressions of this season’s anime, since we’re almost at the half-way point. It was a good episode, but it’s outclassed. Compare this episode to episode 4 of Gakkou Gurashi. They ended on a similar note, but Gakkou Gurashi’s was like “wow” whereas Charlotte’s was like “oh…”

Huh? If you don’t know, I guess you’ll find out :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you know how they could fix it, with minimal effort?
Have someone scream “Yuu.” Done.
Even easier, end it before Yuu runs off into the rubble. Give us a week to realize that loli is kill.

Something was going on with Oikawa at the least. It wasn’t just a love-triangle. He had ill intentions.
Ayumi’s movements are controlled and restricted. She is only allowed to go to specific places at specific times.

It might interrupt the pacing of the show, but I hope she has some backstory. Maybe she was the subject before Ayumi showed up.

In this case, he’d be leaving something behind every time he takes over another person. Maybe he’s able to remotely control them without seeing them from now on. The first time just sows the seed.

Their subs are pretty awful. I’m annoyed by some of the translations, and I don’t even know Japanese…

He was being too obvious, so Nomura was trying to do damage control, methinks.

I mean… maybe if they had an effective weapon, but a box cutter?

2 Likes

The only issue with that is: what would he have done after his 5 seconds were up? His body still wouldn’t have survived the impact, and he couldn’t have stayed in another person’s body forever.

Times like these are where his power is really inconvenient, I think.

Just saw @JimRaynor_2001 retweet this:

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s a bunch of time-travel related things in the OP. This is probably another one of them.

Yuu’s powers probably transcend time or something.

Yup and yup. Agreed.

Hmmm… interesting that it was raining while Kumagami was standing there at the end… that would make his whole body wet, wouldnt it…

1 Like

It’s very possible so long as the conditions are met, ergo, there being another person in his line-of-sight. We don’t know quite yet if there was anyone else near the rubble at that time

I wasn’t talking about her looks, but I didn’t really feel like anything was up with her :o

I think it’s a bit too early to say he was captured and taken away. Logically, if Yuu was crushed, the rest of the school administration would look for his body, to check if he survived or not. Unless they did find his body and brought him to a hospital, which does seem to relate to the key visual we saw early on (which does look like a hospital)

But if that was what happened, then is the hospital an untrustworthy place that needs to be escaped from? Or maybe something happens to the entire hospital while Yuu is there. That reminds me of the title of episode 7, being At the End of Escape

1 Like

If anyone cares, according to Wikipedia, yandere-chan is named Konishi, and there is another character with no description named “Metoki” who I’m assuming is the red haired girl.

Idk if anyone has pointed this out yet, but desire-based powers would kinda make sense with Ayumi’s collapse. She has an interest in stars, so maybe “collapse” is a literal representation of the collapse of a star that causes a black hole to form. Going deeper into assumption-land, one could say this collapse DOES represent the formation of a black hole in the tonal shift of the show to something way darker than before.

Also, just something on the side. Maybe it’s coincidence, but anyone find it interesting that Yuu’s name is Yuu (pronounced like the English “you”) and he mentions have a disillusioned sense of self in the beginning? Maybe I’m just reading too far into it.

2 Likes