Charlotte - Episode 6 "Happy You Did Not Notice"

Discussion topic for Episode 6 of Charlotte; title also translated as “Unnoticed Happiness”, which premièred on the 8th of August, 2015. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

This topic also hosted Charlotte Anime Bookclub discussion, and was referenced in our Episode 6 Podcast.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and UK
Daisuki in North America
Hulu in North America
Viewster in North America and some of Europe
AnimeLab in Australia

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

Not bad, but kinda underwhelming. That’s all.

2 Likes

I think I feel fairly comfortable guessing at this point that Yuu’s ability isn’t to control someone for five seconds. It makes sense with a bunch of prior foreshadowing, and even makes sense with the last shot of this episode. Kinda. I suppose? That and perhaps why Nao stopped him from controlling speed dude.

Other than those babbles. Eh. For a mid series climax this is weak. For the start of a separate tone, it’s probably alright. Tad interested about assumed scientist girl which would be weird as fuck if she turned out to be Misa as well but hey. It wouldn’t be too out there. I guess? Kinda? Sorta?

The actual ‘trigger’ for these events feels a tad weak, but it isn’t too out there. Just a bit meh as a device I suppose. So yeah. Fine episode, but more of a ‘lets see how this goes’ than a ‘this is amazing now’ kinda thing.

This episode was probably in my opinion the best so far. But damn the dark stuff came really fast at the end. Guess this is the beginning of the end boys.

Sad that it ended with a huge cliff hanger. I barely made it through the week to this episode, so I don’t think I’m gonna be able to last another…

2 Likes

Yay, a not-bad episode. It’s still just build-up of more to come, but it was entertaining.
I’m kinda glad the little sister is gone, and it looks like we know what the red Charlotte visual was about. It’ll be nice to see the old Yuu show up again, so hopefully they do that.
Oh, and the song from the early previews got some love! It wasn’t in a very good place, but it’s nice to hear.

I… don’t know what in this episode would create that discussion point. It might be so, but I’m seeing no indications of it in this episode aside from Nao stopping him from using his power once… Which didn’t seem like anything special. If anything, Yuu thinking of using his power there is stranger.

A guy just happens to go crazy with confessing, and a girl just so happens to go Yandere, at the same time as the main cast visit the scene, while the people behind the scenes are at work as well.
I hope there was more to it than just coincidence.

Water guy at the end. As well as the prevention. It’s more of a “Oh, that kinda works, and a fair amount of stuff works with it from before.” than a “This episode set out to show that for certain.”

It’s middle school. It’d be nice for it not to be coincidence, but there’s really no reason for it not to be either.

Hell…that cliffhanger… Now I have to spend a week worrying.

1 Like

What does that hint in regards to Yuu’s power…? All we know is that Kumagami showed up post-drama.

I… What…? How does it being a middle school justify a bunch of crazy plot conveniences?

Well shit.

6 Likes

I want more.

He can detect and where people with powers are and what those powers are. That’s all.

Middle school is stressful. I dunno about you at that age but that kind of BS happening ain’t too out there. The ‘conveniences’ were ‘some dude was an asshole to a girl’ and ‘some girl went OTT over that asshole to the same girl’. That ain’t too out there.

1 Like

Middle schoolers these days are scary as hell. The shift in tone is pretty intense. But I guess we have been warned often enough. The special abilities are dangerous.

Goodbye carefree days. Hello intensity.

At first, I thought we’re being fooled and the Yandere girl is actually the one with the “collapse” ability, and she’s actively causing Ayumi’s illness. But then I noticed that she wasn’t in Ayumi’s room when the collapse ability was located, so it had to be Ayumi after all.

I don’t understand a single word you’re saying o.O

2 Likes

Don’t worry guys that wasn’t blood at the end it’s clearly just pizza sauce.
http://puu.sh/ju9tM/be8fe1b679.png

13 Likes

Nice. If you want me to reiterate something it’s better to ask than just quote everything and complain you don’t understand it. Since otherwise what can I do?

Wow, this might be the quickest-growing topic on Kazamatsuri!

I still need time to gather my thoughts after watching that, but wow. It certainly impacted me! My first criticism is that the drama with the middle-schooler seemed completely out of nowhere and only served the purpose of triggering the tragedy, which is kinda lame. But I guess the cause won’t be the focus, so much as the result will be the focus.

I’ll save most of my thoughts for the podcast, at any rate.

1 Like

Yay I was maybe right! (I mean knocking down a school seems pretty OP compared to the rest but if she can’t control it then that’s pretty bad)

Who was that girl near the end though? I thought it might have been a scientist but the security dude let her through with a badge flash, she also seemed more worried than “damn we missed our chance”.

Yeah. I always like yandere for some reason (maybe because the anime I tend to watch rarely have them) but it just seemed kind of random. That is middle school style drama fight over a boy/girl like that though so it makes sense (aside from the box cutter and blowing the school up).

That’s the thing. It’s so confusing, I’m not even sure what I should ask. But I’ll try.

One of the things I don’t understand is something @Takafumi already asked about.

Even after your exchange, I still don’t get how you arrived at the conclusion that Yuu’s power is supposedly different from what he thinks it is.

Another conclusion that I can neither make sense of nor backtrack. What does Misa have to do with that girl?

Blonde hair, red eyes. It’s a similar character design, the fact they hid it initially suggest that her looks have value. That doesn’t mean she’s for certain Misa or anything. Just that it’s implied her looks matter for some reason.

I’ll take the Yuu thing to his thread, since it has little to do with this episode.

And the timing of the cold, and the house visit, and imouto sneaking out, and the people watching over them in particular, and the main cast having a “bad feeling.”
It feels like there’s a lot missing from what happened, and I just hope that they fill in the blanks.

Yeah, I got the same. It looks like a bunch of thoughts with half the context removed.

Yeah, that’s why I’m hoping there’s a deeper cause. Maybe some background info on Yandere-chan, or a look at the older kids who were watching them. A cold into a sudden violent love-triangle into a power-hunting mission is a bit out-there… Especially considering there’s been no contest on any of the previous cases.
But all of that stuff might interrupt the pacing of the show, and it’s not really necessary, so whatever. Nitpicking~

Probably someone in a similar position to Nao.

Yup. I don’t disagree with the theory, but I struggle to understand where it came from.