Charlotte - Episode 4 "Moment of Earnest"

Honestly I don’t think Yuu failed at taking over the pitcher or anything like that. He’d definitely react more strongly to it if that were the case. What really makes me curious is how Nao explicitly stresses that the opponents are the test subjects. I’m inclined to trust her on this, because why would she lie about it?

It is a possibility that Yuu using his power on someone ‘influences’ them in some (permanent?) way. Either that or she was just observing the immediate reactions of the guy and his team.

1 Like

Yeah I just rewatched that scene,

So that still begs the question, why? Like her powers are impressive I suppose but I don’t believe that their goal is to actually harm anyone, and for intimidation I think that takahiro is more than enough…

[quote=“Doublethree1, post:118, topic:1669”]
When Nao is telling Misa to join in episode 3 she says something like “we want you to come to our school and do everything alongside us”.
[/quote]While that line sorta implies that Nao might have been considering it at that time, I think that “do everything together with us” part is more referring to what they say next, about Misa’s friends not ever getting to see her again.

I guess its kinda hard for all of us to think about when exactly Nao decided to have her join the council, since we all knew Yusa was gonna be a part of it from the beginning :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As I said before though, it did seem like Nao liked Misa’s personality. I mean, why did she specifically chose any of the three to work with her? Dont you think its likely that there are other kids with powers that would be just as useful? I think while she certainly considers how their powers could help her accomplish her goal, she also choses kids who she wants to work with.

1 Like

I always assumed that she only chose people for practical reasons, she doesn’t seem to care for yuu too much, and takahiro seems to annoy her. Additionally I find their powers quite useful, yuu can take over and immobilize someone while takahiro can apprehend them, misa can… Light them on fire?

She seems to at least not like Jojirou.

I also kind of want to know how long Nao and Jojirou were scouting power users to the school before the show started. Was it only a coupe months before they got Yuu? I assume since they’re first years and need to be part of student council for their job it hasn’t been that long.

Do we even know if there are any power users in the school who aren’t in some way part of the student council? We’ve got the water dude, but he’s still sorta in the council. (and it wouldn’t be too out there if his powers were fake anyhow)

1 Like

Good question but I can’t imagine they are the only ones, i mean what about all of the ones they capture on a practically daily basis? They are no were to be seen.

We haven’t had anyone bar the Yusa and Misa join the School. The others were left to their own devices.

Oh? i thought the idea was that they would make them join their school for their own safety. So if she let the others go why was Nao so adamant about Yuu joining? Maybe because she knew she could use him?

I think alot of peeps are attributing too much of a “Nao is using these people because she wants to and is good at manipulating people.” vibe. When we have had it very clear that she trusts like one person. I would just say something like it’s dependant on that person she trusts.

I’d assume Hoshinoumi Academy is the major safekeeping place. Yuu had already attracted attention with his antics so telling him to stop using his powers probably wouldn’t have been enough. Plus the guy would’ve just outright ignored them if they hadn’t forced him into their school.

She even says “btw you’re also joining the council, because your power is pretty useful” as almost sort of an afterthought to having him join Hoshinoumi.

1 Like

Yusa is an idol, which means she knows how to deal with people. She can reduce most males of certain ages to drooling vegetables. Though she doesn’t even have to take part in a conversation. As an idol, she can make a difference just by standing there and being pretty. Also note that Misa’s soul is not necessarily the only one Yusa can channel, which might help in some rare cases.

Misa has a short fuse, a violent personality and the ability to create fire. All of those are effective means of threatening people when used wisely.

Who the heck is Takahiro? And no. Takajou’s ability usage is hard to perceive with the naked eye and usually results in injury for him. Producing fire from one’s palm or randomly setting things on fire without touching them, however, is extremely fearsome. Fire itself scares people if it’s not where they want it to be.

1 Like

So then why is she letting them join her in discovering those with powers? And why are they even apprehending these people if they don’t care whether they join the school or not?

@Naoki_Saten lol chill dude it’s just a discussion, anyway I guess this went full circle in that we think Yusa is there to deal with people. Misa is useful for intimidation while Yusa is the good cop in a sense.

@Karifean that’s a good point, they either seemed wise enough to either stop using their abilities or at the very least be cautious about it, Yuu would have most likely ignored their warning completely.

Like I said: Depends on that person she trusts.

We’ve also already been given reasons for the latter. That they only make them join the school for their own safety, if they’ll be safe without it or w/e they’re fine on their own.

I don’t understand why should would trust Yuu but I suppose she seems to, and yes that makes sense about why they apprehend them, I guess I thought their goal was to get everyone with a power to their school for their own safety, even for those who could live without using it.

Speaking of that Hoshiumi pitcher: Didn’t he sound like Yoshino from Rewrite? I think the similarity is quite striking.

You are implying that I wasn’t being chill even though all I did was participating in this very discussion. I’d like you to refrain from random accusations.

It was your wording my man,

Maybe I’m just being defensive but that seemed unnecessarily wry, didn’t mean to offend you

I usually mean it as a joke whenever I say it, but it does seem like the only logical explanation orz

You gotta remember that it was also broadcast on TV, which Nao would have seen. That girl does a lot of research!

Well, Misa has proven to be very useful as well, so they might have more use for Misa :wink:

There might be, but I guess we won’t really find out, huh :o

@Aspirety @Kanon

He also gets like the most important power out of it, learns a valuable piece of info from learning to take things on with the human side- and ALSO it presents the idea that you can cheat to win in a sport with your powers, but it doesn’t make you a good baseball player, and it ALSO also explains that in order to be genuinely good you have to work, work, and work, you can’t just up and beat a team in one day.

Nah pointless filler.

Fuck you this is a good episode.

5 Likes