Charlotte - Episode 3 "Love and Flame"

don’t think it said but if she’s a year older than Yusa I’d assume so depending on when the latest they can develop is.

The power to make bikes crash at random?

1 Like

Ayumi is making food for her good-for-nothing brother who’s more than old enough to do it himself.
She didn’t eat and she didn’t go to sleep just so they can eat dinner together. This served two purposes: Making sure her brother gets something warm to eat and keeping the family together. And yes, she’s absolutely entitled to spend time with her older brother!
She accepts all of Yuu’s excuses instead of making a big deal out of it and provoking drama.
In general, she’s responsible for 99% of the family’s efforts to keep the family together. (the remaining 1% come from Yuu’s musguided principle of not telling her anything unpleasant).
She friggin’ quit her school on a short notice without complaining, leaving all her friends behind, all for Yuu’s (and the family finances) sake.

Dammit Taka, you’re probably trolling again, but I know there’s people out there who seriously think like that >_<

5 Likes

Is beef tongue going to continue being a thing throughout this show? Because if so, I completely approve. I might have to make eating Japanese beef tongue dishes into my weekly ritual for Charlotte. So far we have Beef Tongue Donburi and Beef Tongue Curry. What delicious lengua-treats will next week hold for us?

2 Likes

I wonder where are the new hire. Why Udō wan’t there with the mission? When will the new hire transfer to Hoshinōmi?

This guy on Reddit noticed and took screencaps of some writing and diagrams that have begun showing up during the opening’s scene transitions. I’m looking forward to looking at the following OPs to see if there’s any development of this stuff or if any of it will start to make sense.

4 Likes

Hmm, I don’t actually have much to say about this episode. As much as I love Yusa, as well as the idea of split personalities, this was probably the weakest of the three so far, in my opinion. This is the first time where I’ve had actual issues with the pacing, despite what others have been saying. I know the scene at the end with Misa and the other two guys was supposed to be this emotional piece of character development, but it’s hard to sympathize with a character you’ve known for MAYBE about 10 minutes on-screen (probably less, considering that most of that screen time was Yusa, not Misa). Similar scenes have been done in Key works before, but only after we got significantly more development, like (Air Spoiler) Michiru’s goodbye to Minagi . It just felt awkward and out of place here.

The ending was pretty good though, so here’s hoping next week will start to speed up a bit more. All the main players are in place now, after all.

1 Like

My favorite little detail is when the camera flickers right at the end of the OP. The main cast distorts, and Yuu is the one who is the most distorted.

2 Likes

Darn, you beat me to it.

My friends made posts about it on MAL and Reddit for better discussion about it. Some really subtle differences, I didn’t even know the OP was different until they started working on these lol

3 episodes in and what is interesting me the most, to be honest, is the whole “finding ability holders” segments that we get in the first half of the episodes. It’s kind of like they’re doing detective work, and we get to see how observant Nao is in doing her job.

Next half of the episode is all about Yusa and Misa. This segment definitely has its shortcomings. Firstly, Kanon is pretty correct about the forced exposition; So Misa just suddenly gets angry and starts shooting flames? At first I thought she was in an unfamiliar place, but then we find out that the guys with her are actually connected to Misa and not Yusa; which makes it pretty silly in hindsight.

And the second-to-the-last scene… That was just entirely unnecessary. The concept is nice. Misa’s dead and, for sure, there is some social strain to that. But do we, as viewers, need to know that? Honestly, no, we don’t. We don’t need to know about Misa’s past, about her friend being in love with her, and her friends having to move on from her.

This is compared to episode 2, where Yuu learning about Nao’s brother just smacks reality into his face. In this episode, we have no purpose to learning about Misa’s backstory. As thus, we really could have lived without it, and I think it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

1 Like

You can throw them in without shitting out some half assed completely thrown in undeveloped crap stuck to the end.
This show keeps doing this ‘just throw it in’ without bothering to give things any development or reason for throwing it in.

Peeps gets it, look up one post to see it put in better words.

Not that I think Misa’s stuff was particularly fantastic or super well played, but it felt more like a bit of characterization than anything else. Two things:

1. We learned a bit of how she used to live;
  2. We don’t exactly have to ~have feels~ for her yet; she’s still sticking around in the story for at least a bit more. In fact, I don’t think it would be a good choice to try to deliver a strong emotional punch in this kind of episode, around two nobodies and a character that was barely introduced.

Maeda choose to make a self-contained episode where we got an initial impression of two new important characters and how they would join the school and stuck with that; and while I think he didn’t succeed completely - Nao and Misa were great, but the main issue with TV producer was standard stuff and I got nothing from Yusa other than boring clueless cute girl tropes and some microscopic foreshadowing - , there was no room for highly dramatic stuff.

I wish I could give it a 3.5, but maybe I should go with a 3. It was the weakest episode so far but we still got some interesting stuff.

I guess you can file this under “you tried” as an attempt to show Misa’s powers that was not exactly well planed.

1 Like

Unfortunately those better words don’t make it a better opinion.
I see no reason for them to give it further development. These things aren’t important outside of introducing characters, moving the story along, and padding out episodes. It have us a reason for the Yusa/Misa situation, a reason for her to transfer schools, a reason to separate her from her past, and foreshadowing that says once Yusa’s powers vanish, Misa does too.
I’d be more annoyed if they tried to put more of a focus on these things, because it’d detract from the main focus of the episodes. These past two episodes are about creating first impressions of characters, they aren’t a mid-season drama-fest. Your expectations seem misguided.

2 Likes

I think this might be where me and @Kanon differ; He’s saying that it should have been done in a better written way, which gives us time to appreciate the dramatic separation of the trio.

I’m saying it shouldn’t have even been shown at all :stuck_out_tongue:

I tend to like when stories hint that there’s more to the world outside the plot, and that characters who might not be central to the story have some sort of motivation and personality. This particular scene felt forced, but I like what they were going for with it.

Hmm, this episode felt kind of weak to me. There sure was a lot of exposition… well, they had to introduce the new characters, but it does feel kind of clunky and awkward, I suppose.

Misa was cool at least, I liked her. Haven’t seen enough Yusa to form an opinion on her.

I don’t really see the problem with Misa’s backstory - as out of nowhere and hamfisted as it was, it was a serious attempt to humanize her. I was expecting her to just be another completely cliched, always angry split personality, so I was pleasantly surprised that they went out of their way to give her some depth from the outset.

Remember Angel Beats? I feel the same aura. I am looking forward or its ending. Seems like early story will contain filler, but it is okay.

Eh, half right.

I am advocating that rather than throw stuff in with no development, they should actually develop it. But I far from oppose just outright cutting it rather than have it in this pathetic mess. Either is a fine solution.

I see many of us are kinda on the same page hahaha. While I understand the intention here it’s exactly what I said before the show started airing in regards to Sala, for example: