Charlotte - Episode 2 "Melody of Despair"

I think the characters’s backstories will be pretty vital to the story overall, most especially Yu and Nao’s. The show is simply presenting it differently and with fewer characters too. It’s an interesting take compared to KEY’s previous works but there’s still glimpses of Maeda’s writing there.

What makes this episode feel rushed is that it tries to put a lot of exposition in a single episode. I don’t think it’s the last of Nao’s story, and I bet the story will employ a number of flashback scenes for each important character per episode and will just feel abrupt every time since the series is already building up unseen histories of the school and its founder, which I bet will be discovered through the characters’s pasts.

It’s funny how many people go “OMG, it’s gonna be shit!” just two episodes in because some things were done in an unusual way. When was the last time you guys actually enjoyed watching anime instead of thinking about ALL the possible ways a series could go downhill later? -_-
Give Maeda some more trust. This isn’t his first anime and everyone involved has learned from the mistakes of the first one. Don’t make topics that are depressing to read.

So, did anyone else get TK vibes from that water guy? He’s so randomly mysterious and does things at his own pace. Walk in. Do work. Walk back out. Deal with it ^^

Loved the Kengo voice on the archer guy. I wonder how many Voice Actors from key games will get a role in Charlotte. I’m hoping it’s gonna be many!

This episode was kind of a turnaround for me. I initially thought that this school is confining and monitoring kids with special abilities for shady reasons, but now it turns out that the enemies are actually on the outside. Or at least I hope so. Would be super dark if they were actually on BOTH sides >_<

And now I’m wondering: what’s next? They have introduced Yuu and Nao properly now, Takajou is doing well, too. They have established the setting and the conflict. I doubt the next episode would be Yusa-only, since they haven’t focused on just one thing per episode until now.

5 Likes

I think this is the key point in here. As I said previously:

See, if they showed Nao’s backstory sometime later, then we, as viewers, would expect her backstory to be a big thing. We would expect Nao and the others to be working towards helping her brother… Which I am betting will not be the main story in the long run.
Of course I could be wrong~

That’s probably the statement I agree with the most out of the 40+ posts I read today. Props to you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They have previously mentioned in like the first interview with Jun Maeda that it would be impossible to make Charlote into a VN. Why? I don’t exactly know and can’t really imagine, but hey, that’s what they said, so I personally doubt that it would be like a VN.

That was one thing that I mentioned in the last podcast, and if I am part of episode 2 podcast, I will definitely be bringing it up again! But yes, that does seem to be the case, at least in my headcanon.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and I have to say, I really can’t imagine how they could have made it something more feels-y. Under the assumption that they aren’t going to be attempting to save her brother in the future, then any time that they introduce it would be just as good as, maybe even worse, than this episode.

He definitely doesn’t feel as “happy” as TK, that’s for sure, and that’s what makes me curious about him. Like I said, if they end up not giving any information about him, I’d be pretty disappointed.

Lots of people are talking about it, so I won’t reply to anyone specifically, but regarding the whole school-is-a-prison-vs-government-scientists, well… It’s nice to speculate but it’s definitely too early to say anything for sure. They’re definitely making out the scientists to be the bad guys, but we still have no idea about who that guy that Nao trusts is. Just because Nao trusts him doesn’t mean we have to trust him :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But I guess we’ll find out in the future~

3 Likes

Of course, it is vital information, however, it is not what the show will be focusing on. It’ll be more about the events that are to come rather than the events that have already happened.

And because of this episode, we know that they are just working to prevent it happening again. It also pins a motivation on half of the main cast. Pretty good.

If they kept the same backstory, then yeah. It’s a “the past is the past” moment. Nao has already started to move on and accept that she can’t do anything apart from look to the future.
Basically, it isn’t a big deal right now.

I like to think he’s just some kid who randomly gets called out of lessons to help them. He has to run all the way to the council room.

3 Likes

Can’t say too much about second episode…I enjoy it…That Archery boy power…if you can see through…why just see underwear…I might be use it more wilder than him :slight_smile:

Something that I can’t understand is…
So…if Nao really hate her school (because what they did to her brother) then why she cooperate? She join student council and help the school to recruit another kids with special power–she said she don’t want to see another victims----nah I still don’t get it

And then I also confused–so school and laboratories are in the same organization…how about the hospital…is they also in the same organization?

Also Nao mention ‘someone’ that really help she and big brother so much…I hope ‘this someone’ won’t be a traitor in the next episode

AND IT’S JUST ME OR WHAT–BUT NAO’S MOTHER RESEMBLE TO AYUMI A LOT…that hair and that eyes…and Yu said her mother divorced…is that mean…she re-married with Nao’s father and…haha just ignore this…

She ran away from the school she hated. The school Yuu joined is different.

2 Likes

That might be because his power is like all the others imperfect.

1 Like

Hmmmmmm… Fact checkers, is it possible that the Otosakas and the Tomoris are related somehow? Could they be step-siblings?

1 Like

I don’t think there’s enough to know. Yuu and Nao could be cousins, I’m not sure about step-siblings as Nao and Yuu are the same age and that seems a little quick to move from one person to another and have a child. Plus for the mother to be the same as Ayumi looking like Nao’s mom would imply she should be with Yuu’s dad and Yuu/Ayumi at that point not with Nao and whatever her brother’s name was (and the dad wherever he was). So cousin is possible but I don’t think anything closer is.

Have Nao’s parents even been mentioned yet? They weren’t there when the brother was taken as a test subject.

1 Like

She was in the backstory right at the start telling Nao she’d make a great doctor then again basically forcing them the go to the “boarding school”.

Well we know barely anything about either of their parents. It’s a possibility that they are related, and even with the things that @Doublethree1 mentions, that doesn’t take into account that their parents could be two-timing bastards :stuck_out_tongue:

So for now, it’s impossible to determine, I’d say

There’s even a chance only 1 mother and 1 father exist with then having Nao’s brother, Nao and Yuu are twins then Ayumi (making Nao’s brother that guy in Yuu’s dream) then they separated and split the kids and half with Yuu ending up with the father and Nao ending up with the mother and Yuu hates his dad because he tore apart their family and he’s so close to Ayumi because she’s all he has left.
While it’s possible I’m not sure why I just can’t see it happening.

I feel like nobody is talking about how Nao is the first Key heroine to have a brother/sibling.

What?

Tomoyo. Rin. Yurippe. It really isn’t uncommon as far as I’m aware?

2 Likes

Stop guys, my head exploded with your guys hyped emotion 8-}

1 Like

she’s not though?
Shiori (Kanon), Kano (Air), Minagi (Air), Kyou/Ryou (Clannad), Fuko (Clannad), Tomoyo (Clannad), Yukine (Clannad), Rin (Little Busters), Komari (Little Busters) Haruka/Kanata (Little Busters), Yuri (Angel Beats!), Shizuru (Rewrite).

Everything except planetarian (and I don’t know about Harmonia) has a heroine with a sibling.

I’m talking about the MAIN heroine. And, I don’t really like to consider Rin as the main character. I know she is, but people rather represent Little Busters with Komari

In that case I believe the reason people aren’t talking about it is because people having your viewpoint haven’t spoken about it. It’s as simple as that.

1 Like

Komari has a brother though. I know people use Komari to represent LB more often but Rin from the writers perspective is the main heroine so when saying something like “First main heroine to ____” you’d have to consider it from writers point of view.