Charlotte - Episode 12 "Promise"

Episode 5!

Damn it yuu you were suppose to do this 1 episode ago when you still had time leap! Oh well, honestly even though I complained about the last episode, they kind of had to take time leap away… even if it was a really big mess. Now that I see the anime is back on track, I feel like I enjoy it. Overall I would say that the worse thing so far has just how they executed major events like ayumi death, kumigami’s death/yuu losing time leap ect. I really like the lighthearted moments like today’s episode to be honest. I just feel like the way the story develops gets forced quite a bit. The way the story develops continues to struggle however, Yuu and nao decides it is a good idea if he take all abilities wielders right after he got his ass kicked by 1 random ability user that didn’t even seem strong… and when that happened he had probably the 2nd most powerful ability time leap… I really think if they just executed that one scene where yuu got hurt better it would of fixed almost all of the forced plot problems seen recently, really that could even be just written off as an animation flaw, cause I don’t think it was shown properly.

Also… Yuu please wear a black priate style eyepatch you would look like a badass.

1 Like

Watched the scenes with her in that episode again. Saw nothing significant.

And I saw a super well defined relationship between the two siblings from just the smallest of their interactions that made me significantly more invested in seeing how that relationship would expand and change.

1 Like

Best part, was the Misa moment. That was just beautiful imo.

Didn’t a voice actress on the Charlotte staff say something like she didn’t expect the series to turn out to be be so sad/emotional? I forgot who it was or when she said that, but I bet she was mostly referring to this episode.
The series had several potentially emotional moments, but didn’t really try to portray them as emotional, unlike this time. Indeed, the Misa/Yusa scenes were wonderfully executed. Props to Uchida Maaya for nailing those scenes! Well, the soba shop scene was pretty cheesy, even more so because it was live on air. But it had to be. After all, the story is told from Yuu’s perspective and we wouldn’t have been able to witness it otherwise. (The Kumagami thing last episode was an exception).

OH, and did anyone else notice that Takajou actually called Yusa “Yusa-san”? Not Yusarin. He completely dropped the fanboy act! I’ve been waiting for this for so long! If only he had done it sooner…

I was surprised to see Yuu’s relationship with Nao actually improve after what happened in the previous episode. I mean, sure, Nao wouldn’t blame him for getting agitated from being stabbed, but a positive development was still unexpected.
What really took me off-guard, though, was the confession. And what a confession it was! No romantic atmosphere, no blushing and the “love talk” was completely business-like. “Aah?!” Best response to a confession! Nao rocks. It was so fun to watch! And I’m seriously not being sarcastic here. It’s truly refreshing to witness a confession scene like this one once in a while. The whole thing was a perfect fit for these characters and they were perfectly in synch once again! Just look at them!

I SO hope that wasn’t a death flag!
Honestly, though, right before the confession, when Nao was about to leave Yuu’s room, to me, it looked like those two would never meet again. I was completely off, though, because Nao showed up again at the end of the episode to give Yuu a parting gift.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised if that was just a fuck up in the script but nobody bothered to hire a competent proof-reader.
I don’t respect JoJo’s character enough to believe he’s capable of putting up the fanboy ‘act’.

Is that what it sounded like? My bad. I didn’t mean to imply that Joujirou’s fanboy behavior was an act. He was genuinely being a fanboy and I’m pretty sure now he genuinely stopped being one and became less of a clown, which is what I’m happy about. Though I wanted it to happen much sooner. I was expecting great things of him…

1 Like

Oh alright, I misinterpreted what you meant yeah.
I’m still sticking to my theory that it was just a terrible proof-reader not catching the wrong name being said because I have zero expectations in the staff of this show at this point

Anybody have any theories on how this series will conclude?

Yuu still hasn’t used Levitation or Thought-Photography… Probably never will.
Kazuki still screwed.
Sala nowhere to be seen.
Yuu lonewolf trying to track people how.

I smell a time-skip coming up next episode…

I have a feeling we’ll see one or two of his hunts, maybe a montage of stills with different powers being used the a time skip. It was implied he’d go somewhere English speaking so he might run into Sala but I’m not sure how far we are from when the concert should be.

The live broadcast soba shop scene was kinda dumb. Like, that’s not how television works. Also, how the fuck is gathering all the abilities in the world a sensible plan? That aside, my bet is that Yuu will be successful, romance with Nao a bit, then realize the power is too much and exile/sacrifice himself for the good of everyone else in what may or may not end up being an emotional scene set to Zhiend. I doubt it’s gonna pull an Angel Beats with the last minute surprise tearjerker. Seriously, what could they possibly do?

I mean, he’s supposedly somehow going to go all over the entire world, so eventually he’d have to end up somewhere where people speak English. Or maybe Japan just thinks everyone who doesnt speak Japanese speaks English…

I took it as since they showed that there’d be a scene of something with him failing English next episode which I guess could also be:

I thought the first half before the Nao scene was great. After all that it went back to being Char-shit. Really don’t care where this goes, was half expecting a twist at the end.

I actually disliked the first half of the episode. I just don’t care about Takajo or Misa and shoehorning the part her parents was bad, real bad.

Second half is kind of ridiculous, but at least it’s interesting. And even though lol at the promise, I’m glad that Tomori didn’t go “omg I love you too”.

Edit: my real problem with this show is that there’s no real direction that I can find. Like look at all the things that happened and tell me how it mattered. Yuu’s “development”? How does that matter now? Maybe next episode we’ll get a good answer to that question.

Agreed, the first half was just a series of visits that didn’t really do much for the plot. Some would say it was for character development but as far as I could tell no development came of it. The scene with Jouijirou was sweet in its own way but other than that it didn’t do anything for me. The second half had some sweet moments, I originally hated the idea of romance between Nao and Yuu, and while it still feels forced, I think they handled it pretty well so I didn’t hate it as much as I thought. Now this is the real issue, how the hell is Yuu supposed to break into the syndicate, find someone who can find power users, and travel all over the world and find every single one in time to rid the world of the abilities. The only idea I can think of is kind of like Puella Magi, maybe at a certain point he’ll gain enough abilities to break the flow of time and be able to practically teleport to every location? I just don’t see how the show will pull it off, especially in one episode… but I guess we’ll see.

Holy shet still many problems and it will be dealt in next 24 mins ? Yeah Charlotter - 1st time-leapse - 's incomming.Maybe I expected too much Charlotte in the first place… Maeda should comeback to Visual Novel, it is a good place for route-based scenario.

As I said earlier, I thought this was a fantastic episode, one of the best. Seeing Yuu in that condition with his eyesight taken from him was shocking at first, but seeing how much he’s grown in being able to accept the situation and move forward was remarkable. Even if Yusa and Joujirou weren’t the most active cast members, it was still awesome to see their characters resolved like this, through their relationship with Yuu. Seeing Misa and Yusa cry didn’t make me cry, but it did leave me immensely satisfied. Shun’s regret was heartbreaking, but it provided Yuu with the mission he has now. The plan may seem a bit half-baked at first, but it’s not like they have another choice, and I’m sure it’ll lead to a very interesting conclusion. As for the Yuu Nao scene? Weird, but I really liked it. It’s a huge “fuck you” to the traditional confession scene, more like the biggest indication of Yuu’s growth we’ve seen. No hesitation, just “I love you”, and I promise to come back. (But will he come back though? That’s the real question.) This was a beautiful episode, and the perfect setup for an amazing ending. In fact, it really feels like the entire series was building up to this one point, and I really like how they showed that through things like the food. Now then, I need to address something.

I’ll admit I’ve been guilty of it in the past, but it’s just dawning on me today how toxic the discussion of this series has been to our community. Almost every one of you is absolutely convinced that this series is terrible and shows no promise, and any evidence to the contrary is dismissed as ridiculous. You guys are trapped by your own mindset, actively trying to find evidence to prove your case that this show is shit, ignoring anything else.

Is Charlotte perfect? Hell no. Does it have value to be found? Absolutely. This circlejerk of hatred for the series desperately needs to stop. It adds absolutely nothing to the discussion, and is honestly bringing the atmosphere of the community to a very dark place lately. Everyone is antsy. If you want to start acting like an exemplary member of the community, start adding some real contributions to the discussion. I’d like you to take a step back from the series, and try looking at it from a new perspective; this time trying to seek value in the series, rather than criticising every little thing it does. If you do, your enjoyment is bound to be much greater.

I want you all to go back to the first episode of the series and watch Charlotte again from the beginning in time for the final episode. Your perspective is limited to the whims of the atmosphere at present; to really find value in the series you need to step back and observe it as a whole. And with a new perspective, you’ll find many things you glanced over before. I hope that after this experience, many of you will be able to answer the question “What did I gain from Charlotte?” with confidence and pride. This will be the topic of the Charlotte Anime Bookclub Anthology, so if you’re hoping to participate, then please heed my advice. I look forward to seeing each of your renewed perspectives.

9 Likes

Normally we’re a circlejerk of praise for everything, heh. But I really think youre exaggerating not only the extent of the negative reaction to Charlotte itself, but also the extent of it being toxic. Nothing wrong with expressing how you dont like something, and I feel that most people have been giving pretty good reasons for it. Also, check the ratings for each episode. No matter what people complain about, theyre obviously still enjoying it.

Anyways, I think you did point out something that I kinda looked over: Yuu actually seemed like a real character this time! He even went against what Nao told him to do, thats a huge development!

1 Like