Charlotte - Episode 11 "Charlotte"

This episode was the exact opposite of “Kinniku yay yay!” I want that muscle guy to rot in hell. But sadly, I don’t recall seeing his body with those other two poopheads, so I think he may have been elsewhere at the time of the collapse and is still alive and well.

All I can think about right now is that Shunsuke is a freaking hilarious troll.

If Yuu becomes “Big Boss” or something along those lines, or gets an eye patch then I’ll be happy.

1 Like

I did a quick google search on the name “Charlotte” and it came out to be somewhere along the lines of “free man”. Because of the whole dilemma of the ability wielders trying to escape from the scientists to freedom, the name would actually make sense.

1 Like

This episode makes me think that it’d probably better if Yuu never found out about Shun. I believe Yuu would have more character development and he’d get to get closer with Nao, and Joujiro and Yusa/Misa would get more screentime.

Minus: no Ayumi de gozaru.

I also thought that Shun (and the syndicate) would prioritise the well-being of the power-users above all else. At least to me, It’d make sense if they do that after every hard times they’ve gone through.

Kuma should’ve just ditched that guy so he’d still be alive. evil laugh

This episode is goddam traumatising me!!!

(should I quit now???)

tbh i kinda liked the way Key tell this story, though kinda fast-paced, but at least they didn’t only focus to the char development of the main characters(yuu & nao). I would like to see this in VN form which might allow Key to reduce the pace of the story(and that stripped nao too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°))

It’s episode 9 x 10… Honestly this is the most traumatic scene since my Kagikko-hood. (Should I quit now…)

There’s not much to be done after this despair scenario, not as of the current resource they have (unless there’s a healing power to restore Yuu’s eye)

With only one episode to wrap up (assumingly there’s 12 of them as Angel Beat!). I hope to see the a somewhat satisfying ending.

There’s still two more episodes left.
The fact that the consequences of what just happened are permanent gives me a lot more hope for the ending. I just wish it didn’t have to be Ayumi that was saved instead of Kumagami…

Why? Ayumi had a character. Kumagami was just there, there was nothing to get attached too other than he was hot, it was a shock value death and had zero impact because Maeda is literally incapable of writing little enough to comfortably fit into 13 episodes, let alone 13 badly directed episodes because PA Works is absolute trash.

1 Like

Ayumi already died though. Losing her again is fine. Kumagami’s power is much more useful. Yuu didn’t even get to steal it!

1 Like

I agree that Kumagami is more important than Ayumi and Nao! Just look at his power! He’s the second best X-Men member after Yuu! AND MOREOVER HE IS SHUN LOVE INTEREST! SHUN IS ALREADY SO GAY FOR HIM WHY THIS HAPPEN!!

cough sorry

But honestly so far there’s nothing tearjerking about Charlotte. Yes, people died, but they just kinda… gone, without any real impact or anything. Maeda YOU FAIL. And the whole thing is a super big mess. Sudden foreigner mafia thing, sudden “no more time leap” thing, sudden bear’s death thing, sudden “they got my family even since before you get the academy so yeaahhh let’s sacrifice every student” thing and sudden “yeaaahhh they got your family so I guess it’s not your fault, it’s ours” thing, sudden “Charlotte is the name of a comet, which you should already guessed right and we’re not gonna talk to deeply about it. We’re just trying to find something matching the title and so there you got it” thing and such.

And they seriously wasted so many characters. Joujirou and Yusa/Misa don’t play any part anymore and they were butt monkeys from the start. And suddenly the other group became significant while I can’t even remember their names! This whole episode, no… This whole series is even more horrible than trainwreck! At this point I’m sure the writers had used the ability “Collapse” inside their brain.

4 Likes

Oh yeah hey I forgot for a second that was supposed to be a thing with Key.

It was supposed to be the thing that I looked forward to the most with Key =/

I guess my expectations have lowered since a few episodes, huh.

Why Nao is in underwear ?

I think there might still be time for that. Some of Key’s stuff didn’t really have tearjerker stuff until pretty much the end. Character deaths aren’t always used to get the viewers to feel sad and as far as we know Ayumi and Kumagami weren’t meant to (I think they were and failed but Maeda might not have intended them to be). My main issue is even though they could be hiding some tearjerker in episode 12 or 13 is I don’t feel like I care enough about any character to be sad if they die unless the scene is extremely well written which would be a huge contrast to the show.

I guess they could try a tearjerker without it being related to death (has Key ever done that?) but I can’t really see that either.

To feel sad about a character’s death you need to actually care about that character, in Charlotte the characters are about as fleshed out as a group of harem anime protagonists. I honestly can’t think of any major character development, and if there was any (like Yuu changing from being a narcissist to being… Boring) it felt clunky and rushed with no real explanation. The only time any major character development could have happened was when Ayumi died but after that one episode he completely reverted to being the same character he was beforehand. And instead of growing the side characters and making you care for them they completely dropped them for an even more boring group out of the blue. I know all these points have been made before, but I feel like if at least these issues were fixed Charlotte would have been an amazing anime. It has an interesting concept, some great characters could have made it, at the very least, a great show.
For a typically super power anime sure it’s fine, but for a work by Maeda… I find it lackluster at best.

To make you uncomfortable.

Wouldn’t be too sure about that.

[quote=“Hirato, post:53, topic:1891”]
But honestly so far there’s nothing tearjerking about Charlotte. Yes, people died, but they just kinda… gone, without any real impact or anything.
[/quote] You’d be surprised how easy it is to get some viewers to cry. I believe some people have even said that Episode 2 made them cry, and most likely a few people teared up at this episode. I feel it’s comparable to Angel Beats! in this way, but it was executed much worse, as Angel Beats! had better music and directing.

That’s a bit harsh on harem anime protags. Some of them have a personality.

I’m not. Twitter is full of people talking like Charlotte is good. We’re one of the few places that are like “hang on, this is a bit bad.” I think reddit is starting to figure that out too, but that site switches sides more than a summery pair of sandals.

To make up for the number of times that skirt ALMOST flipped.

1 Like