Bungaku Shoujo Series Discussion

Hello everyone!

I thought I would make a little topic dedicated to one of my favorite anime series, Bungaku Shouko!

Bungaku Shoujo was originally a mystery light novel series that got adapted into a film and a 3 episode OVA.

The beginning of the film is quite confusing, which I can imagine would turn some people away. However, things are slowly revealed over time if you’re patient. The confusing beginning could be because the film starts in the middle of the light novel series, haha.

However, don’t be discouraged, as, like I said, things slowly begin to make sense. As an adaptation it definitely isn’t the greatest, however.

Despite it starting in the middle of the light novel series, the characters in the film sometimes act like it’s their first time interacting with each other, even though they had met tons of times before in the context of the previous chapters of the light novels. It’s like the film is inconsistent with what it wants to be. Does it want to act like it’s its own thing, or does it want to act like a continuation of its source material?

For the OVA, it basically just gives some backstory to some of the characters. However, a lot of the content in the OVA was already shown in the film. As a result, it doesn’t really give you much new content that you couldn’t have already figured out yourself.

I also read the first and second volumes of the light novel, although I couldn’t bring myself to read the rest. As a mystery series, it is well… quite confusing at times. Too confusing for me to really be able to continue. Don’t get me wrong, it is a good light novel series, and I can imagine certain people really enjoying it. But for me, personally, the confusing aspects took a lot of the potential enjoyment away. The light novels expect you to know and remember every single one of the character’s names, as it treats you as if you should already be familiar with them, even if it’s their first appearance. That was probably one of my biggest issues with it.

In fact, the first time I tried to read the first volume I was unable to finish it. I actually had to go back and re-watch the film and memorize the character’s names to even have a chance of knowing what was going on, haha.

However, despite my difficulty in understanding a lot of moments (particularly in the second volume), it was shocking to see how much content was cut. The side characters in the film got almost no development, but the first volume alone gave tons of that left-out development to one of those said characters. So much so that I can’t help but to think of that huge amount of cut-content whenever I see them.

In my opinion, I think it would have been great if there was a 25-30 episode series that strictly follows the light novel from beginning to end. Content would have to be cut of course, but they could keep the most important aspects. I would have really loved to see some of that left-out content animated, and I think it would have been very great and successful. I understand that the film might have been a way to get people to read the original novels, but I think a proper episode series would have been a great and reliable alternative to those who prefer things in an animated format.

However, despite my complaints, Bungaku Shoujo is a great stand-alone film that I love more each time I watch it. Each time I get a new experience with the overall story and characters. Although the side characters are not handled in the best way, the main characters are all very interesting in their own ways.

To conclude, I recommend this anime to those who are patient and want something a bit different from the norm.

And to those who have watched/read it, what are your opinions? : D

Did the quality of the translation seem okay? I have been wanting to check this series out - I have a crush on the Nendo from this but I have little patience for poorly translated light novel prose. Basically - do you think the parts you found confusing were intrinsic to how the author told the story originally? Or do you think they were brought about by not taking enough time to properly edit and refine the translation?

The translation itself seemed fine enough, as I didn’t notice any errors. I’m guessing it’s just how the author chose to tell the story. The main reason it’s confusing is because of the character’s names and how it expects you to remember them all immediately.

1 Like

My happiness was Miu. Before, just having Miu by my side made my heart leap, and when Miu crafted stories in her bright, clear voice, everything around us glittered with rainbows.

This movie is wonderful. It’s engaging and beautiful and it captures the main points and characters of the even more magnificent Light Novel series and got me hooked right away.

A tip for those planning to watch it: Watch the OVAs (Bungeku Shoujo Memoire) BEFORE you get to the movie. It will introduce the 3 main girls, their backgrounds and motivations and help you understand their actions and the story. The second OVA is absolutely shocking. It would be no exaggeration to say that my deep-seated hatred for irresponsible parents began right there. Oh, and I still enjoy listening to the OVA Opening.

The Light Novel “Bungaku Shoujo”, aka “Book Girl” is a series of 8 volumes. It’s the story of Inoue Konoha, a frail young boy who became a bestselling author at a young age, but suffered from his success to a traumatizing degree. In his suffering, he is aided by one Amano Touko, who loves books more than anything else in the world. The characters in Bungaku Shoujo often compare themselves to characters in famous works of literature, so much that gaining deeper understanding of said works just might help them deal with their worries. However, there are as many interpretations as there are readers. The dialogues and the narration paint the world in beautiful, wondrous colors.

The movie is an adaption of the 5th volume, “Book Girl and the Wayfarer’s Lamentation”. Yes, its plot is something the LN has spent four whole volumes to build up to, so it may feel like a waste to skip over those. (In fact, it also spoils a few scenes from the later volumes)
I won’t say too much, but just keep in mind that after the young protagonist has begun recovering from his trauma and opening up to the people around him, his dark past is suddenly resurfacing and threatening to destroy everything he has built up ever so carefully.

Well, what makes this series so special to ME?

1. Miu
  2. The writing

I’m completely leaving the movie territory and just gushing about the LN at this point, but please bear with me.
Bungaku Shoujo is the only Light Novel I know that’s written in the oldschool book style, by which I mean this: Back when Books didn’t have illustrations or movie adaptions, it was the writer’s task to paint their story as vividly and as colorfully as possible inside the reader’s head from the beginning to the very end, using nothing other than words. Bungaku Shoujo is right there next to those works of literature that can be enjoyed not just for the story and the characters, but for the rhetoric itself. Bungaku Shoujo manages to unify the modern school life setting and classical works of literature. Every volume is based on one such famous work, drawing parallels between the characters and diving deeper into both of their worlds. And I must say it does a good job at portraying both stories, for while I have not read a single of those literature works prior to Bungaku Shoujo, which would certainly have helped me enjoy it even more, the writer has always managed to convey the main points of the stories he was referencing and setting the mood just right to understand the feelings and worries of both his own story and the one he was referencing.

Bungaku Shoujo is available in many different media. If the movie got you interested or if you want to experience the story from the beginning but still want some visuals, then the manga adaptions of the first two volumes just might be your thing!

2 Likes

It’s really nice to see another fan of the series. : D

I LOVE Bungaku Shoujo! Definitely one of my favorite romances. The movie is a decent standalone, but knowing the previous 4 volumes of character build up makes it way more impactful. There are a lot of subtle character interactions that don’t really make sense if you aren’t aware of all the character relations. While I would recommend reading them before the movie, I think it’s fine to watch the movie (or OVAs) first to draw you into the characters and setting. It has a high re-watch/re-read value since although it is a mystery, it’s also largely about the struggles of individuals, and it’s definitely not the kind of story that relies on surprise to deliver entertainment.

Stepping back from the movie, and even the series as a whole, I am a huge fan of Mizuki Nomura’s writing. Sure, she’s no Tanaka Romeo, but she brings something incredibly fresh and lovely to a genre (romance) that the light novel industry has turned into a cash cow of cheap cliches. I will fully admit my bias here because I feel like Nomura writes exactly the kind of romance I absolutely adore and am a huge sucker for. Nevertheless, she manages to write thoughtful, realistic characters. Flawed people with their own personal struggles but still have unique and various charm points to draw you in. There is well timed comedy despite underlying drama, and she does a fantastic job of writing at least one passionate character who gives long-winded rants about the things they love (Touko-senpai in Bungaku Shoujo, or the titular character in Hikaru) which is just very entertaining to read (something something passionate people are attractive).

The tropes you see in other stories are there, but like a truly skilled writer, she only uses those tropes as a base model to create very dynamic characters and interesting interactions. Like I said above, this causes subtle interactions between characters to become very important and meaningful. My favorite example is Nanase (also voiced by the perfect goddess Nana Mizuki - wherein I wonder if I just have a fetish for the name Mizuki) who is obviously a tsundere by every definition. However, she grows throughout the series and if you just watch her OVA, it’s very clear that she is not your stereotypical, one dimensional tsundere, but actually a person who struggles to be honest with her own feelings and legitimately strives to change herself. All of this great writing is then mixed in with important references to classic literature which is used to both lead and mislead the audience as you wonder how those works of old relate to the story thematically and how things will differ this time around - if they do. This is a technique that, while understandably frustrating to those unfamiliar with them, requires very talented writing with a strong understanding of literary devices to use properly without it really being required reading, not at all unlike Sca-ji’s use of literary references!

At the end of the day, Nomura writes romance. There is mystery, drama, and some pretty interesting things going on thematically with struggling to live out life and find happiness, etc. But my god I love her most for her romance storytelling. Maybe I’m wrong because again, I’m super biased here, but all that other stuff is secondary and just a support to creating really, truly great romance stories. The way the characters deal with their emotions, slowly grow closer, occasionally tease you with lovey-dovey skits (which are always suuuuper cute and make my heart go dokidoki), become confused with the harem-esque aspect, and have to deal with their own personal issues, all climaxes with the MC deciding who he truly loves. So yeah, I love Mizuki Nomura and in terms of authors, I have thrown the most amount of money at her books because practically everything she writes is like a love letter to my 12 year old heart while simultaneously being actually good writing. The LN industry desperately needs more authors like her, but I guess that’s a completely different topic.

2 Likes