Bowiie and Iotheria's Key Panel

Coming up in a little over a month Iotheria and I have procured a panel at a local con. We’ll be running a key panel, but there is a small hiccup in that neither of us have ever run a panel at a con before which makes this a learning exercise. Since I’ll be doing most of the writing for the panel I’ve got a basic layout in my mind which works on the assumption that everyone knows nothing about Key.

I plan on taking just a few minutes to introduce the main staff of Key and then give a brief history surrounding how Key was founded, before launching into the games. I plan on introducing the game in chronological order, playing the OP for each one (we will be using power point and a projector) and then briefly describing the game itself (theme,layout,impact,etc.).

So the reason I bring this up is I’m looking for feedback. Having been to panels but never run one all I have to lean back on is my own experience so I want to broaden those ideas. What would you guys like to see in a key panel? Any suggestions on how you feel it could be run better? If you have any ideas there is a good chance they will get implemented considering how rough around the edges my ideas feel so far.

3 Likes

If your target audience is people who don’t know what Key is, I guess one important thing is to see some familiarity. Most anime fans would at least be aware of Clannad or Angel Beats, so make sure to put those in with easy visibility.

I guess another way is to let people know (somehow without spoiling) the whole thing about Key always dropping dramabombs. I believe that people mentioned it in the “how to introduce key to others” topic that you gotta be transparent about these things from the get-go

2 Likes

I haven’t done a panel before, but I can think of something to consider in regards to presentations in general: time. You probably are given a set amount of time to work with and will plan your presentation as such, but in real life, things never go as planned. Plan for things going wrong.

Maybe the panel starts late and the convention wants you to cut 5 minutes. Maybe you took a long time with the introduction because you were nervous (alternatively, went way too fast but this isn’t as bad). Maybe people throw you off by asking questions (are you going to allow mid-presentations Q&A? nicer for the audience but harder to plan for). Maybe some technical issues come up. To plan for such timing issues, it’s good to have a core set of things you 100% want to mention but will only take maybe 70% of your allotted time. Then have a list of things you want to discuss but will only present if things are proceeding on schedule. This way you won’t feel the need to rush to finish all your content because a good chunk is “optional.”

4 Likes

Never forget Murphy’s law. Fucking Murphy =_=

[quote=“Pepe, post:2, topic:1217”]
If your target audience is people who don’t know what Key is, I guess one important thing is to see some familiarity. Most anime fans would at least be aware of Clannad or Angel Beats, so make sure to put those in with easy visibility.
[/quote]Yeah I plan on doing an opening blurb because I figure most of the people around here have probably seen/heard of Angel Beats/Clannad without realizing they were both from Key.

Yeah we had options for allotted times I opted for the 30 minutes because I wasn’t sure I could fill an hour but now I’m wishing I had because I feel like I could fill an hour plus easily. Great advice though because I did plan on taking questions there at the end, and it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen tech issues hold up a panel before.

[quote=“Pepe, post:4, topic:1217, full:true”]
Never forget Murphy’s law. Fucking Murphy =_=
[/quote]How could I after common route podcast where Murphy showed up in full force. lol

1 Like

I recommend against playing the OPs, otherwise you won’t fit anything else in your 30 minutes. Seriously, playing all those OPs leaves like no time left.

Assuming seven games each op roughly four minutes long…you have a very valid point.

I agree with both Pepe and Kaze here. First of all you need to have a clear target what you want to distribute the most - clannad, angel beats for example. So you might focus mostly on Key works that are more famous than the others even tho you might think other works are better. But that is only if you are seriously going for people that knows nothing about Key.

FIrst off take in consider that the ops are around 1:30 minutes long and if you have 30 minutes… well dont mind my math but you will have to be careful about that. I wouldnt personally put ALL the ops there, it just takes too much time imo.

Also I would personally like to see charlotte in it. I mean you can go like “hey do you know that there is going to be a new anime in july from Key?” And that may raise attention to the people that checks the anime seasons and what is coming up. They might be like “Oh yeah I have heard about that, so its from Key huh?” - Ya know, it may be a success into getting to know Key too… but if you do plan on mentioning Charlotte, I would put it somewhere at the end.

2 Likes

What is the aim of the panel? Is there going to be a conclusion or a satisfying ending? Do you have things to build up to, or a main question that needs to be answered?

@Clannad_Man did some panel stuff. He might have tips.

1 Like

Well that’s more I’m assuming my audience will know nothing about Key, in other words that’s how I’m going to approach the presentation as opposed to if I was going to talk to you guys about Key I wouldn’t feel the need to point out certain things. Ideally I want to run though the main games (leaving out the side stuff Kud wafter HF etc.), and I’m planning on mentioning Clannad/Angel Beats right from the start as sort of a hook to introduce it anyway.

[quote=“IkaCZ, post:8, topic:1217”]
FIrst off take in consider that the ops are around 1:30 minutes long and if you have 30 minutes… well dont mind my math but you will have to be careful about that. I wouldnt personally put ALL the ops there, it just takes too much time imo.
[/quote]Yeah OP idea is nixed once I thought about the timing of everything (read I didn’t think about the timing before now).

I’m planning it as more an introduction panel, I feel like most of the people around here have probably seen clannad or Angel Beats without realizing that they are both from Key, so the aim of the panel I guess is more to introduce them to something new, and if they enjoyed Clannad to show them that there is more out there in a similar vein from the same people that made Clannad. I know I got into Key without knowing I was getting into Key. I watched Clannad, Kanon, and Air before I ever realized they were all made by Key.

1 Like

That’s what I’d do. Be the gateway drug that lets people know there’s this whole world of Key waiting to be unlocked DOHOHO

2 Likes

Definitely gotta mention a fair bit about Charlotte. It’s going to be the most easily accessible new Key work (legally), so it would be great to tell them how they can watch it, and when it is, and maybe even play the PV.
I think maybe playing the Rewrite OP at least would be good, because it’s so different from other Key works, it might get some people hyped up and interested.

3 Likes

Ofc the translated one, and give props to Kaza web ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

I definitely agree with you. I mean I met a person that havent watched a single Key anime, but played rewrite so you have a point.
I think aspi once said that Rewrite is the most un-Key ish VN they ever made (or something like that).
Still I think it has a lot of potential to draw a lot of people inside the Key world :p.

3 Likes

Perhaps, but people who like Rewrite won’t necessarily like other Key works.

Try to search for PVs of the games, as they are shorter than the OPs. If you can’t find, present PVs from the animes.

As Rewrite isn’t that well-known and different, I think it’s a good idea. Another option would be Kanon’s OP, since it’s the first Key work.

I’d love to show the Moon OP but do you think it would be a bit spoilery?

[quote=“sillylittlemelody, post:14, topic:1217”]
Try to search for PVs of the games, as they are shorter than the OPs. If you can’t find, present PVs from the animes.
[/quote]I like this idea, I may just pick a few PV’s to show during the panel (if I can find them) Charlotte or Harmonia will be one for sure.

1 Like

Yeah I think it is. The normal OP is fine I think, because it has the moment halfway through that is the shock factor.

I can confirm that the Moon OP is NOT spoilery if you dont know what is being spoiled. So it should be fine.

1 Like

[quote=“Yerian, post:17, topic:1217”]
I can confirm that the Moon OP is NOT spoilery if you dont know what is being spoiled. So it should be fine.
[/quote]Well I say that because if you don’t know anything going into Rewrite its a little spoilery because (Rewrite spoilers of course) You see all the characters running around with weapons and Kotarou’s claws and some of the fights

Exactly. I dont know what it is because I don’t know what it is (if that makes any sense).
All I can say is that the Moon OP was literally my first introduction to Rewrite and I still have no idea what its about. All it did was make me extremely hype for the VN.

4 Likes

The Moon OP is spoilery, but it’s the kind of spoilers that get you EXTREMELY hyped to read the VN. I mean, it’s not meant to be a secret that there is supernatural stuff happening in Rewrite, it’s explained pretty clearly in I think the first day that Kotarou has some kind of superpower, so there’s that. I mean, as much as it is ideal for people to go into Rewrite with no knowledge of the later story arcs, seeing that Moon OP is what gets people hyped for the VN in the first place. I know it did for me when they released that OP on the VisualArt’s channel a few months before release. So yes, I definitely recommend doing it. It’ll build interest in the VN.

Just make sure you make it clear that it’s NOT an anime XP

If you wanna use screenshots from each of the games for reference, you’re more than welcome to sample the images from Kazamatsuri.org’s information pages! They’re sure to help you collecting information to talk about as well.

3 Likes