Ask a Key fan!

I prefer the h version too. I like the vague reader-can-interpret stuff.

So I know where I can find the English translated version (Steam and physical copy if I am lucky and nutty to spend a lot of money XD), but where do I find the 18+ version and corresponding English patch?

…I mean I guess you can import it from somewhere in Japan…

Funny when I saw the dangos in CLANNAD I thought they were a bit silly, but now looking at the July 10th post at https://twitter.com/VisualArtsUSA?lang=en

I feel like I need some! Is there any way of getting official Key/VA merchandise in UK/Europe (other than eBay) or is it only available imported directly from Japan? I know you can get fan made stuff here but I’d rather go official so Key/VA benefit…

Will the siglus engine work if you take the CD version of the game and use it on a non-Japanese system?

1 Like
1 Like

Try Pepe’s Tamotsu’s Delivery Service!

https://forum.kazamatsuri.org/t/let-me-help-you-buy-stuff-from-japan/650

Thanks - I hadn’t realised that option was available! The only problem is I might not have a means to pay ( not so much a problem for me!)…

I have admittedly had a bit of trouble finding a how-to guide for this purpose, so I was hoping someone here could help me. Could someone who has installed their patch on their computer run me through the steps to apply NDT’s Kanon patch to Kanon Standard Edition? I have installed the game successfully from the disc (the main menu opens properly when I run the game), but I am not sure what to do with the file from their website. I have a Windows 10 computer. I am additionally curious about where the option to skip over the h-scenes is in said patch. I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing, so forgive if I come off a bit dense in my responses.

From my understanding, you just have to copy-paste all the files to your kanon installation folder, run the reallive-patch.exe and it should work.

To skip the H-scenes, you can follow what @Takafumi said above:

For a bit of clarification, since I’m unsure of your experience here…

The translation “file” is a .7z file, openable with 7zip or winrar or some other archiving program. Opening the file will present you with a folder. Copy everything from the folder to your Kanon’s install location (where reallive.exe is) replacing any files.

This comes in the form of a folder named “all ages” that contains a series of files. Copy the files from this folder into your Kanon’s install location.

After you’re done with the translation patch you can choose to download voices for the game. Natively it doesn’t include any voices, so you must download patches for it.

The original voice patch was linked within NDT’s readme.txt, but the downloads have all been removed from the internet over the years. You can probably find it with some googling. The main problem is, even if you do find it, it might be a broken version. I know several Kazamatsuri members have ended up with missing voices throughout the VN.

Alternatively, I have a voice patch you can download that adds some bonus voices, is all-ages out of the box, and I believe it’s quicker to download, so that’s a plus. I can’t guarantee it’s 100% bug free, and it removes the feature to rename the protagonist, but to toot my own horn, it’s easier to obtain and more reliable.

Either way, it’s worth getting a voice patch so long as you have good enough internet to download one. They add a lot to the game, and there’s some stellar performances.

Thanks for both of your answers. However, I feel as if I missed a critical step by not changing my system locale to Japanese. When I tried to start up the game, and go to the name change feature, (I don’t think adding the patch files was the cause of this), it crashed the game. I will try re-installing it momentarily and update you on my findings.

To clarify, should I extract the files directly to the “KANON_SE” folder? Or should I extract them elsewhere, and then copy-paste them to that folder? And can I even copy-paste the entire folder to “KANON_SE”, or will I have to go into the folders and copy-paste each individual file?

Ah yeah, you’ll most likely need Japanese locale.

You can extract the entire thing directly. The files within the “patch files” folder of the zip belong in the Kanon_Se folder, so that the Kanon SE folder looks something like:
All Ages
ANM
BGM
… (all the other folders)
1.2.6.8.map
DejaVuSansMono.ttf
And et cetera, all the other files come after.

That was definitely the problem. It’s working now! Thanks for both of your help.

I want to ask something about KSLA
There is an album titled ‘hanabi/spica/moon’ by lia. Usually the album artwork has someone related to the key games. But in this case i am unable to recognise him/her on the artwork.

Also i wanted to ask how the first love song album was included in the KSLA (0027 i guess) but the second was not

I think she was just a random character, possibly the girl from Hanabi. Can’t be 100% sure though.

For Owari no Hoshi no Love Song they set up an individual label named FLAMING JUNE. I’d assume part of the reason is that it had no relation to anything KSLA, whereas Love Song and Long Long Love Song make use of previous KSLA tracks.
The other reason is to distinguish it from the other Love Song releases. It is very different to Love Song and Long Long Love Song after all.

2 Likes

So I’m looking to buy the Key 10th Memorial Box

I’ve looked through a couple of places so far, first being the recommended link on “What is Key?” but sadly isn’t available in stock. Second is Amazon.co.jp but due to my lack of knowledge with moon runes, i’m putting that on the back burner and hopefully someone can confirm on legitimacy. Lastly, I went through listings on ebay and found a few; one being very cheap but used.

If there are other places that I should look for the box, I would love to know. For those who do own the memorial box, I would also love how you got it so I can follow along.

I believe I got mine from Ebay, so I can’t offer much help sadly. Amazon.co.jp is always going to be your best bet, but you may need a proxy.

1 Like

Amazon Japan is generally trustworthy when it comes to the stuff they have available, especially if, like that item you posted, it is fulfilled by them. Of course, you would have to decipher the moonrunes to figure out the actual condition of the package. But hey if you do decide to get it, a proxy definitely would help.

1 Like

I installed the Kanon patch and the EXE file but all I see is the menu and the text box no picture and the audio doesn’t work even though I turned it up on the settings to max.