Angel Beats! - Yui Route & Character Discussion

ok, let’s get this over with.

Yui is, if I am for a second not baised for Harumi Sakurai, the only character I really cared about in the anime. She has a nice overall character design which really fits her character and was the only character that really got my attention.

Now to what I freaking hate that they did: They changed her voice for the songs to a really unfitting voice for her character. LiSA is by no means fitting for a character like Yui, given her original VA (I may be a bit baised here) would have been a much better choice.

Back to anime: I really liked where they went with her character. Her and Otonashi doing all kinds of stupid things she wanted to do, because she never could, when she was alive. I was really shocked when I heard, what her life was like, but then for her last request they fucked up badly. I know they did hint a lot with her and Hinata, but I still dont like it. It’s like she was just a piece in a game to be used and cast aside as a stepping stone, like it got already mentioned. Like how I felt is, he only did it to help Otonashi and not for Yui, but that may just be me. (Didnt read all above, since way too much text, too lazy)

So now the last bit will be about the things I know about the VN: Her route being a whole HinaxYui wreckage and completly destroying the concept of a route with it. Given it is something new and I dont like it. That’s all I know and probably why I stopped caring about it.

I know most people dont share my opinion on that, but I am used to being a lone sheep with my opinions, but it’s cool. Opinions will be opinions and everyone has his own. (This is kinda off topic, but I felt like I had to add this)

I WILL NEVER GET OVER HOW BAD THIS IS I mean it was good for LiSA and all but I MEAN ERI CAN SING WHY NOT JUST HAVE HER DO IT IT MAKES SENSE

6 Likes

Oh, I see we are at a same point for at least that.

That’s one thing I’m actually wondering; In the game, will Yui’s route be a separate ending, or will the story continue after Yui’s route, much like the anime did?

Anyway, back on topic, perhaps not the same message, but it might not have received the same value, either. Otonashi was already determined to do it before he even started with Yui. Hinata, on the other hand, only joined in after. I guess it’d be a stretch to say that he wouldn’t have helped out if not for helping Yui, but I just feel that if he did it as a bro to Otonashi, he would be doing it halfheartedly, as he wouldn’t have gained the satisfaction of being instrumental to helping the other person disappear. i.e. the fact that it could only have been hinata makes it all the more valuable. For Key stories, I believe, value is of the utmost importance.

Non spoiler spoiler:

A somewhat more meaty Goodbye Days.

So quick question I asked somewhere but it got buried and there’s people here who have beat it from what it looks: Is there a Yui bad end where she ends up with Otonoshi? My sister seems convinced that’s the case but I can’t find anything leading me to believe that’s the case. All I can find is the Maeda quote saying “only Hinata can help Yui” or something which my sister says he meant canonically only Hinata and Yui can be together.

if there is, then I’d have a reason to read the VN at some point, so I am really eager to know that too.

I cleared to the end of the game but I can’t seem to replicate the anime scene where Yui interrupts Hinata during Day Game, it’s either win without anything happening, lose, or basketball.

Yessssss they used Ichiban no Takaramono as the ending. I’m happy.

It went exactly as the anime. If there’s an OtonashixYui ending I’m gonna see if I can find it!

Just finished the route. I was wondering if they could take this scene, which I’ve watched a hundred times, and make it work one more time. They could and did. Jesus, Hinata was such a boss. What they did with Yui was also very surprising. Going into this I never suspected Yui would be made into an admirable character. The anime went by her different dreams very fast , but she had to work hard for that home-run. That was really satisfying in the end, even with a little gust as help.
I’m saving Iwasawa for last, but her moment before disappearing was so cool. She and Yui never even appeared on screen together, and now we get Iwasawa being not just an idol but also a mentor for Yui; thanks to Otonashi conveying her words.
The Onii-chan and other nicknames were hilarious, it went on for such a long time too. It made me really happy that treating Yui like a sister actually can unlock Otonashi’s memories of his real sister. For all the time I had to wait, AB! is worth it so far.

http://puu.sh/iOqyV.ogg
z0312_000293

I’m so confused and frustrated with this. How do i get her ending?
I couldn’t get Kanade with me in ep7 in my first Yui playthrough then I just gave up trying to do different choices for hours and hours.
Do you get her end at ep10 like the anime was? I always get the Naoi scene and then the game ends.

Try using this walkthrough: http://seiya-saiga.com/game/key/ab1st.html

1 Like

Sankyuu!

I loved Yui’s route. Her route was very light hearted compared to other events in Angel Beats. It gave us such a wonderful feel, with a good quote too for the last few minutes of episode 10.
Yui in my opinion, is like Fuko and Haruka combined (from CLANNAD and LB). Like Fuko, she’s very dense and acts very child-like. And like Haruka, she likes messing around a lot and having fun, although you can argue Sekine is more like Haruka. Yui is a great character. It’s just depressing that there’s no translation for the 1st beat that’s done, since I’d totally love playing her route.
I also love her voice. Her voice actress can give a “child-like” aspect to her voice, but can also make her sound scary in the funny way at certain points. Then her singing voice, LiSA. LiSA is just amazing.