Angel Beats! - Visual Novel Details & Ongoing Speculation

Isn’t Angel Beats a sort of build upon from LB?

If anyone read the 4Koma remembers that arc where Maeda makes fun of himself by running away to the school and getting his idea for AB from the LB gang. I wish i got a cooler full of drumsticks :cry:

2 Likes

I don’t remember that happening at all. My copy must have been borked or something…

From the CGs we have seen, it follows quite far into the anime. While the anime route may not be in the VN, I think it’s a good event chain to base the VN on. It’d just branch off in different places~

Confirmed for Operation Wars adaptation.

1 Like

Clearly they are just using VN sprites for cards to get as much use out of them as possible.

Actually these aren’t VN sprites. These are official illustrations they used for magazine purposes such as Dengeki. They had CG on the left for every character and it’s been used for like advertising purposes for Angel Beats! It’s been made since they were first originally airing the anime.

So in the PV they classify AB! as an “Adventure Game”, any idea what that entails?

I’m guessing that “Adventure” in this context means ADV, which is the style that most of the Key VNs are designed in.

1 Like

Like what @Takafumi said, they classify VNs as ADV in Japan. Searching google images for ”ADV ゲーム” shows that well enough. AVG is also a common acronym (AdVenture Game) but some people relate it to Adult Video Game sometimes, therefore making ADV a lot safer :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately these terms aren’t used often in the west outside of say… a Ren’Py forum, because ADVs take up a large amount of the translated VN market. The classifications can be really helpful.
ADV (and AVG) put a big focus on what many would take for granted in a VN. Nice character sprites, a focus on expressions and backgrounds. Maybe some interactive elements or gameplay.
The other popular VN form is NVL (which I assume means Novel, but I’ve never looked into it.) These are the stories that might not have the best art, so they make up for it with more descriptive writing. The style is a lot more friendly to conventional writers too. Things like Umineko and F/SN, where the text box encompasses the whole screen, are examples. From what I’ve seen, NVLs seem to have a lower budget and are better for indie developers, but this might not be true for all NVLs.

Some VNs switch between the two depending on the scene’s focus. In Rewrite for example, the scene will switch to using the NVL format. It was both a way to focus on the events of a scene, and cover up the artists’ budget restraints. It tells what the CGs and sprites can’t~

1 Like

This thought just popped up in my mind. With the VN containing the Yui path, does that mean its going to be Otonashi x Yui? In the anime it was Yui and Hinata and I really liked that as as couple and the tons of elegant fan art that people made of it. It might actually suck a bit if they change that in the VN.

From the stream- It can be both, or neither. They even showed an image of Hinata restraining Yui, and then another slide right after where it’s Otonashi restraining her instead.

The most info we’ve got on that is the CG showing Otonashi carrying Yui on his back. Whether or not that is a romantic scene can go both ways.

MUH HINATA X YUI THO ;_; THEY BETTER BE OTP

When that CG released I think most people took it as “Oh, they’re going into more depth about Otonashi’s attempts at helping Yui move on.”
From that, I imagine the route could go two ways. One, Hinata joins in and it ends up like the anime. The other, Hinata doesn’t join, and Otonashi takes over.

1 Like

Correct me if i’m wrong but I think this is the only Key storyline where we have another male protagonist who is also involved in a relationship that is developed over time. Neglecting the parenting relations like in Clannad.

I don’t know if it’s just me but Otonashi taking over that just seems like a bad ending. However, I will make sure the OTP will continue onto the visual novel story.

Hinata’s out of the fucking blue no development involvement is fine to get cut anyway.
And improvement, really.

1 Like

Was never a fan.
Hinata x Yuri is light years better, even if they are just bros.

2 Likes

Hinata x Yuri is less random, but I think I prefer them as friends. They have a good buddy-buddy thing going on.

Well that was more or less what I was saying. Their bromance is stronger than whatever that was in the anime.

1 Like

You, my friend, seem to have not played the Kappei route in Clannad :wink:

Hinata is awesome okay ;_; even if he may or may not be the OTP, he is still utterly necessary for the story of Angel Beats as a whole.

1 Like

Choo chooooooo!

Spiffed this topic up a good bit.
Not sure if anyone remembers what it looked like- But trust me, it looks better now.

Oh, and I guess it’s more up to date. Probably a bit important, huh…

2 Likes